Page 1 of 50 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New Steven Wilson CD: "Hand. Cannot. Erase." due in February

New Steven Wilson CD: "Hand. Cannot. Erase." due in February

http://www.prog-sphere.com/news/stev...ry-via-kscope/

Multi-instrumentalist and composer, Steven Wilson broke the news about his upcoming, fourth studio album entitled Hand. Cannot. Erase., which is scheduled for the release in February via Kscope. More news and album snippets will be posted soon, information on how to pre-order a very special deluxe edition.

Along with this, Wilson announced a UK and European tour for March and April 2015 (see dates below). He wrote:

“We are currently developing a show that I hope will raise the bar both musically and visually from previous tours, with a set list based around the new album, as well as casting the net further back into my songwriting past for a few surprises.“

Thu 12th Mar – UK, Cambridge, Corn Exchange
    Fri 13th Mar – UK, Cardiff, St David’s Hall
    Sat 14th Mar – UK, Manchester, Bridgewater Hall
    Mon 16th Mar – UK, Edinburgh, Queens Hall
    Tue 17th Mar – UK, London, Troxy
    Wed 18th Mar – UK, Wolverhampton, Civic Hall

Fri 20th Mar – Germany, Cologne, E-Werk
    Sat 21st Mar – Luxembourg, Rockhall
    Sun 22nd Mar – Germany, Stuttgart, Theatrehaus
    Tue 24th Mar – The Netherlands, Utrecht, TivoliVredeburg
    Wed 25th Mar – France, Paris, Olympia
    Thu 26th Mar – Belgium, Antwerp, Trix Club
    Sat 28th Mar – Germany, Neu Isenburgy (Frankfurt), Hugenottenhalle
    Sun 29th Mar – Switzerland, Pratteln, Konzerfabruk z7
    Mon 30th Mar – Italy, Milan, Teatro Della Luna
    Tue 31st Mar – Italy, Rome, Teatro Sistina
    Thu 2nd Apr – Germany, Munich, Kongresshalle
    Sat 4th Apr – Austria, Vienna, Ottakringer Brauerei
    Sun 5th Apr – Czech Republic, Prague, Hybernia Theatre
    Tue 7th Apr – Poland, Krakow, ICE Congress Hall
    Wed 8th Apr – Poland, Lodz, Klub Wytwornia
    Thu 9th Apr – Germany, Berlin, Columbiahalle
    Fri 10th Apr – Germany, Hamburg, CCH2
    Sun 12th Apr – Denmark, Aarhus, Train
    Mon 13th Apr – Denmark, Copenhagen, Amager Bio
    Tue 14th Apr – Sweden, Malmo, Palladium
    Thu 16th Apr – Sweden, Gothenburg, Konserthuset
    Fri 17th Apr – Sweden, Stockholm, Debaser Medis
    Sun 19th Apr – Finland, Helsinki, The Circus
    Tue 21st Apr – Norway, Oslo, Sentrum Scene
    Thu 23rd Apr – The Netherlands, Zwolle
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Most likely an auto-buy for me. I hope this tour will cross the Pond.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

^ Agreed!

I too shall buy.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Most likely an auto-buy for me. I hope this tour will cross the Pond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    ^ Agreed!
    +2
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Most definitely an auto Buy! Can't wait!! Looking forward to details of the tour, really curious about the female and choir vocals live. And if he's looking to raise the bar from the last tour, which was ridiculous, this is something I simply can't wait to see.

My my, this guy is busy.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Is every new "Steven Wilson" album another nail in the Porcupine Tree coffin?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    [url]... casting the net further back into my songwriting past for a few surprises.“
    "Four chords that made a million" - Surprise!

Auto Buy and Auto Concert Attendance

I like his solo output better than PT.....I wish he wouldn't sing, though.

Suspended
    I don't like the title. That device of putting a full stop after every word, presumably for emphasis, might have been clever the first time someone did it, but it has very quickly become corny. I hope the music is better than the title.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I don't like the title. That device of putting a full stop after every word, presumably for emphasis, might have been clever the first time someone did it, but it has very quickly become corny. I hope the music is better than the title.
    It's not a deal-breaker or anything, but I agree.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    Steven Wilson seems to have a thing about hands. No fewer than three Porcupine Tree albums feature a closeup of a hand.

And Richard Barbieri did that album with Steve Hogarth, Not the Weapon, but the Hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxschrek View Post
    I like his solo output better than PT.....I wish he wouldn't sing, though.
    What?

Worried about the female vocals, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    What?
    Yeah, I just can't get into his voice for some reason. He sounds forced and whiney to me.

Seems to me his tunes could really benefit from a strong, Gilmour-esque vocal.
    Last edited by Maxschrek; 11-19-2014 at 01:01 PM.

i actually understand the vocals complaint...he really isn't too far removed from Noel Gallagher occasionally...and on some live bits i cringe trying to hear him hit those falsetto bits where he gets this wheezy throaty thing going...he's been good thus far tho!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Agreed. During my ad agency days during the dot com boom times (we're talking 1999-2001) it was super cliche for startups to adopt a tagline that was some variation on "Blah. Blah. Blah." So yeah, it's a dated trope for sure.

Plus I don't yet understand how the title relates to the concept of the woman who dies alone and nobody knowing about it for months that he alluded to in that last video he put out. I guess time will reveal all.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Getting it for sure. The singing thing............he's not a great singer, but he's not bad. He's actually improved quite a bit since the early PT days, I'll give him that. Plus, if he didn't sing, he wouldn't have much to do with his current live band (play more mellotron or something I guess) Still, I think his voice suits most of his music. Though with his more elaborate prog leanings these days, his lack of vocal prowess becomes more noticeable, IMO. Having said all that, I don't mind his vocals at all.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Plus I don't yet understand how the title relates to the concept of the woman who dies alone and nobody knowing about it for months that he alluded to in that last video he put out. I guess time will reveal all.
    He might have just been blowing smoke up our asses on that one. Still, I'm looking forward to when this one drops from his music hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxschrek View Post
    Yeah, I just can't get into his voice for some reason. He sounds forced and whiney to me.

Seems to me his tunes could really benefit from a strong, Gillmore-esque vocal.
    His voice is just ok to me.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Suspended
    I don't think Steven Wilson has a great voice, but it's an adequate voice, and mostly very well suited to what he sings - or perhaps it's the other way round, maybe he writes to match his vocal style.

The Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun period seemed to be a high point in his vocal development. Listen to the song "Even Less"; I don't think his singing has ever sounded better. It drips with emotion.

I prefer he handles the vocals than hires some over-the-top Labrie-esque singer. Give me a vocal stylist over a technical singer any day.

Isn't this an auto-buy for just about everyone? He's pretty much the king of the hill these days.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.