Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New Steven Wilson CD: "Hand. Cannot. Erase." due in February

"Give me a vocal stylist over a technical singer any day."

Oh man, me too, but some stylists are much better than others. While his voice is a long way away from sucking, it's just that the music he's putting out these days is starting to get really good and it would nice to hear it with a strong, confident singer to match the dynamics. Just an opinion.

He tailors his material to his voice, so the songs do tend to come to an almost standstill during extended vocal parts, I'll give you that. But he can still sound really good. The song "The Raven That Refused To Sing" gets me every time....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I don't think this thread was intended to be a vocal slam-fest. I'd like to know more about the album, not what you all think of his vocal abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Is every new "Steven Wilson" album another nail in the Porcupine Tree coffin?
    Short answer: yes.

Glad he's venturing out of London...UK take note!

Thought I new all the major venues in London but not The Troxy?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I don't think this thread was intended to be a vocal slam-fest. I'd like to know more about the album, not what you all think of his vocal abilities.
    By all means, let's curtail this diversion into aspects of Wilson's music that we've actually experienced, and keep the discussion focused on an album we haven't heard yet.
    Last edited by Sean; 11-19-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Isn't this an auto-buy for just about everyone? He's pretty much the king of the hill these days.
    Boy Howdy!
    Genius is an over-used word...but not for Mr. Wislon

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    By all means, let's curtail this diversion into aspects of Wilson's music that we've actually experienced, and keep the discussion focused on an album we haven't heard yet.

It's the PE way!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post

You know, I just tire of a handful of individuals working these negative angles. Stuff like this is why we have an unjust rep of being a bunch of piranhas that love to tear people apart when really only a small handful of you are like that. Yet, that is the crap that rises to the surface and paints us all with one broad, hateful brush. I get sick of that shit, we are better than that and PE’s worth and good is a helluva lot more than some would like to admit. But threads like this make me understand where their criticisms are coming from.

Come on Sean... His post was funny. Nobody was really tearing into SW's limited vocal abilities. We were merely stating that he does have a limited range. I think the people on PE, for the most part, are brutally honest in their opinions about acts. I think that honesty comes from a deep knowledge and passion for the acts and genres being discussed. I think that's why you come to PE as opposed to myriad other boards which ooze fanboyism; to get the straight dope. And in the case of SW, the straight dope is that the weakest aspect of his talent is his singing voice. Be that as it may, the guy is brilliant across the board, imo...

But you're the head mod, man.... Take an axe to this thing if it doesn't live up to your expectations and address those people who fit your description above... but don't paint all of us with one broad, hateful brush...

In a way it's my fault for letting things slide more, thus our rep. Too late now I guess. I'm not the one painting broad strokes though. Plenty of other people do that for us.

"I think the people on PE, for the most part, are brutally honest in their opinions about acts. I think that honesty comes from a deep knowledge and passion for the acts and genres being discussed."

I do too, I KNOW it to be true. Now to convince the rest of the prog world.

Sorry bro, Steven's the best. Never meant to come off as a hater.

But Sean is so right. There is too much negative and snarky commenting going on (uniformly throughout the Forum). The trolling that take place really gets me (someone who hates a band starts a supposedly-neutral thread that quickly becomes a convenient place to slam an artist).

Only one place I know is worse...a certain site that caters to a English, three-letter-named band that has had numerous keyboardists and only one bassist.

But it is never too late to reign things in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Only one place I know is worse...a certain site that caters to a English, three-letter-named band that has had numerous keyboardists and only one bassist.
    Boy, you aren't kidding there!

Ok, since I derailed this, let me set things back on track.

Is the same band that appeared on Raven on this one as well? Nick Beggs, I hope?

And it's all kinda touchy too. One man's well worded but negative critique can be seen as simply a slam by the person on the receiving end. So drawing the line (no SW pun intended) is sometimes a bit hard. You look at it and think "that isn't bad, it's a well thought out retort, leave it be" and then you find some bleeding artist in the aisle talking about what a shithole of haters we are. One man's critique is another man's slam depending on the thickness of their skin. A fine line at times.... Free speech is bound to piss someone off, isn't it? Your work is put out there for the world to enjoy and discuss, and with it come some slings and arrows. You can't pick and choose when it comes down to that stuff, you have to roll with whatever comes. Some folks take them in stride and learn from the criticisms, others feel victimized. Hard to guess in advance how it will all shake out with some folks. I wish every artist we discussed here saw the positive worth we offer (spreading the word about their music in a very small niche most of the world is totally unaware of), but the nature of what we do here makes that uniformly pretty impossible since we give all reviews- good and bad. If we only gave good ones we'd just have a rep as being a bunch of pussies that like everything and totally worthless when it comes to objectivity. Damned if we do or don't.
    Last edited by Sean; 11-19-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxschrek View Post
    Ok, since I derailed this, let me set things back on track.

Is the same band that appeared on Raven on this one as well? Nick Beggs, I hope?
    Appears so. The main difference will be additional vocalists (solo and ensemble).
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

And it's all kinda touchy too. One man's well worded but negative critique can be seen as simply a slam by the person on the receiving end. So drawing the line (no SW pun intended) is sometimes a bit hard. You look at it and think "that isn't bad, it's a well thought out retort, leave it be" and then you find some bleeding artist in the aisle talking about what a shithole of haters we are. One man's critique is another man's slam depending on the thickness of their skin. A fine line at times.... Free speech is bound to piss someone off, isn't it? Your work is put out there for the world to enjoy and discuss, and with it come some slings and arrows. Just part of the terrain I would think why some people deal with it better than others .
    Yep, truth. As the bassist and main writer for Somnambulist I've certainly been no stranger to bitching and moaning about the shitty singers I've dug up over the years

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Is every new "Steven Wilson" album another nail in the Porcupine Tree coffin?
    I for one really hope not. I still find just about any PT more satisfying than the stuff he's done solo.

I've always liked his voice. It suits the materiall I think, and the fact that he is the one singing his own lyrics, makes it especially heart felt.

I've found over the years, that most of the people out there who accuse others of being haters, simply want everyone to agree with their points/music/tastes, whatever, to the nth degree. Any slight variance, disaggreement, or constructive dialogue on a topic makes one a hater. Ridiculous.

And, I can't wait for the new album and tour!

neil

It seems to be a reoccurring thing here to dislike the vocals of virtually every great band. Various Crimson singers, Rush, Flower Kings, Wilson etc.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Prog is known for unique vocalists that often don't fall into the typical "great singer" category, for sure. Many are anyway, but the taste is acquired.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    palin.jpgYou know, I just tire of a handful of individuals working these negative angles.
    cleese.jpgNo, you don't.
    palin.jpgStuff like this is why we have an unjust rep of being a bunch of piranhas that love to tear people apart when really only a small handful of you are like that.
    cleese.jpgNo, it isn't.
    palin.jpgYet, that is the crap that rises to the surface and paints us all with one broad, hateful brush.
    cleese.jpgNo, it doesn't.
    palin.jpgI get sick of that shit,
    cleese.jpgNo, you don't.
    palin.jpgwe are better than that
    cleese.jpgNo, we aren't.
    palin.jpgand PE’s worth and good is a helluva lot more than some would like to admit.
    cleese.jpgNo, it isn't.
    palin.jpgBut threads like this make me understand where their criticisms are coming from.
    cleese.jpgNo they don't.

Stalemate

Kudos on going through the trouble though!

In all honesty, I only open about 5% of the threads here, if that. Maybe there's all sorts of hating going on that I'm not a privy to. I'm also guessing that you've heard or read comments made about PE by artists that I am also not a privy to. I do know that the point of this board (or at least my posts on this board) are not to cater to the egos of the artists I speak of.