Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's a Cat Playing Classical Music. Does It Get Any More "Progressive" Than That?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yup, because all music we don't "get" equals noodling. All strange, weird and alien contemporary music obviously constitutes noodling; look at the noodling of Boulez, for instance - that dude couldn't hold a stick at Transatlantic, the REAL genius music of today.
    Don't be so harsh on Transatlantic as I understand they are planning a team-up with Nora, freeing up Neal to focus on vocals more in live shows. The set list will include some ELP covers (you can see how Nora's playing style is rather inspired by Keith Emerson -- he stuck knives into the keyboard, she goes for claws and head rubs).

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Theremin cat and Nora have also done a collaboration:
    http://youtubedoubler.com/dUrT
    That could very well be a thirty second snippet from Henry Cow's "Trondheim" release, and I mean that in a very complimentary way

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    she goes for claws and head rubs).

Henry
    She seems to have the cantabile touch with those head rubs.

Did you notice she doesn't play hardly anything from 0:14 to 1:04? That kind of restraint is bordering on inhuman (Saint-saens notwithstanding [he held back the orchestra for a full minute on one of his concertos]).

Suspended
    My cat, who sadly passed away many years ago, used to do a pretty mean rendition of 4'33" by John Cage.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    My cat, who sadly passed away many years ago, used to do a pretty mean rendition of 4'33" by John Cage.

I had a non-cat that did the same
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think my cat has an extremely short memory, and makes a noise every minute or so because she forgets what her voice sounds like. Or something.

So she's like the opposite of yours.
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 11-22-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yeah, right - because it SO reveals how horrible and random alleged contemporary music really sounds. To "us" and our wonderfully seasoned ears. There's no way this cat could have performed anything from Citadel's Cynosure.
    So much anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    So much anger.
    Not really.

Here's a cool cat playing some maracca nuts'n'balls. It's a bit progressive, but nothing really contemporary noodling or anything:
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Suspended
    ^^ which raises the question: why is "cat" such a popular slang word with so many meanings?Just off the top of my head:

- a musician, usually male, and commonly in the jazz genre
    - more generally, any man considered "cool"
    - a flogger (cat o' nine tails)
    - female prostitute
    - young male "kept" by another for sexual purposes (short for "catamite")
    - prison slang for inmate used as above by other inmates

Also, specific to Perth, we have CAT buses (Central Area Transit), free buses operating in the city centre.

So many meanings, all derived from the humble moggy.

young male "kept" by another for sexual purposes (short for "catamite")
    As in Allen going to RIO with his baby to "make'uh LUV'uh"?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    David Bowie cut up pieces of paper and randomly mixed them to write lyrics and he was called a genius. Nora takes a similar approach to her composing and it gets called "noodlings". It's this sort of attitude that puts kittens off going into music.

Henry

Given a nurturing environment, kitty will master any instrument, even the guitar - no problem. This one, being Italian, is particularly musical and has developed its own slapping technique.

"Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."