Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Progressive Music (Fusion) and Violin

Syd Arthur...mandolin/violinist.

Lockwood, Top, Vander, Widemann - Fusion (1981)

Zakir Hussain – percussion, tabla John McLaughlin – acoustic guitar, guitar, arranger, producer Lakshminarayana Shankar – violin, arranger, vocals Vikku Vinayakram – percussion, vocals

Shakti (in my opinion) created some of the most meaningful and moving music ever. L Shankar and John McGlaughlin are brilliant.

Shankar did som awesome solos here too

This one on a very distorted violin 3:05

Van Morrison is on vocals on the version above - its Zappa on the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrTClVeCVUY
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 11-18-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Deus Ex Machina - technically, one of the best violinists in modern prog
    Michael Urbaniak - great Polish fusion player.
    Corima - Los Angeles based Zeuhl band with the wonderful Andrea Calderon on violin
    Indukti
    Jeff Gauthier - various jazz and avant-garde projects
    Michal Jelonek - from Polish band Ankh and his own progish-metal band
    Geoffrey Richardson - Penguin Cafe Orchestra and Caravan
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Since violinists in the Indian classical tradition have been mentioned, let me offer this clip(not prog/fusion) of Dr. L. Subramaniam playing a Carnatic raga, solo.Just tanpura(drone) and violin.From a Nimbus cd.Sublime, imo.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I haven't seen Electric Asturias listed yet.
    Jorge Pinchevsky who played on Gong - Shamal
    Allan Holdsworth plays violin on Pierre Moerlen's Gong Gazeuse! as well as some other albums Velvet Darkness I think. He was uncredited on some other stuff.
    Nash the Slash and Ben Mink from FM
    Lisi Wright from the Galactic Cowboy Orchestra
    Ben Karas of Thank You Scientist
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I forgot about Holdsworth's violin playing. Velvet Darkness is quite good...i got it when it came out. Excellent cover art too (especially now that the Towers are long gone).

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I forgot about Holdsworth's violin playing. Velvet Darkness is quite good...i got it when it came out.
    He quit playing violin decades ago (though he WAS good at it). And if you ever talk to Allan, don't mention "Velvet Darkness" unless you want him to get more depressed than usual. He has major issues about that one getting released. On his website, it's on his list of "stuff I recorded but wish I had not."

Yes, I remember that he hates it. But he is notoriously and overly harsh on his work.

I don't think anybody's mentioned Lucia Micarelli. Her duet with Ian Anderson on Kashmir went viral a few years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHsxmjpkeFI

Here's another solo version she did in concert:

Would love to hear her and David Ragsdale play together some day.

I don't think anybody's mentioned Lucia Micarelli. Her duet with Ian Anderson on Kashmir went viral a few years back:

Here's another solo version she did in concert:

Would love to hear her and David Ragsdale play together some day.

I went viral once. I felt terrible. I thought I would never shake it.
    And since it was caused by a virus, antibiotics wouldn't touch it.

Gotta give a shout out for Timba Harris in Secret Chiefs 3!!!! Dude is wizard in both western and very-non-western intonations on violin/viola. And he doubles on trumpet. And triples on guitar.

I highly recommend his latest CD of his violin/guitar duo project Probosci (with Gyan Riley on guitar). Info and samples:

http://www.webofmimicry.com/store/pr...roducts_id=112

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Since violinists in the Indian classical tradition have been mentioned, let me offer this clip(not prog/fusion) of Dr. L. Subramaniam...
    Subraman did a lot of excellent Prog Fusion as well. His album Spanish Wave kicks major Progaz
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Shadowfax
    Just got the solo-album from their violin-player, Charlie Bisharat, called Along The Amazon. It features a lot of fusion-musicians, like Allen Hinds, John Patitucci and Russell Ferrante, but also Jon Anderson on one track

Steve Bingham played on many albums in the No-Man district, but also released solo-recordings.

ZAO
    Apothecary

I have a cd by a violinist similar to Ponty and I can't think of his name, but it's really good.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Could be David Rose, who I mentioned in post #2. very ponty-esque.

Rick Sanders - Soft Machine

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    [QUOTE=FrippWire;335277]I would encourage you to check out Zach Brock. Start with Purple Sounds; it's jazz with a touch of fusion. He even covers Zappa's "Twenty Small Cigars".

There's a also a guy named Mads Tolling who is quite good. His discoghy

Sounds decent, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    If you like KBB, follow Tsuboy's work. Lot's of really great gems hidden in his catalog. For example, his work with Natsuki Kido (in Era):

Thanks.

MZN3:

Tsuboy guested on many more albums, in fact way too many to post here, but look into Sixnorth, Strings Arguments, Oofujitsubo, Korekyojinn, Interpose+ and Pochakaite Malko to name only a few. I used to say, everything this (Tsu)boy touches, turns to gold.
    I'll check it out futher.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    The Stranger's Hand is a not so well known album Jerry made with Steve Smith, Howard Levy and Oteil Burbridge; came out in '99. It's a good and pretty diverse fusion album.

Sounds decent Ernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    FM
    FM
    Especially with Nash The Slash!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I actually had no idea how embedded violin has been with prog and fusion. I've got a lot of listening to do.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    Gotta give a shout out for Timba Harris in Secret Chiefs 3!!!! Dude is wizard in both western and very-non-western intonations on violin/viola. And he doubles on trumpet. And triples on guitar.

I highly recommend his latest CD of his violin/guitar duo project Probosci (with Gyan Riley on guitar). Info and samples:

http://www.webofmimicry.com/store/pr...roducts_id=112

- Matt
    If he's the guy who played on the last tour he was excellent (as was the rest of the band), one of my top gigs of the year.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Could be David Rose, who I mentioned in post #2. very ponty-esque.
    Glauco Fernandes
    Last edited by Shadow; 11-18-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Jan Hammer group with Steven Kindler
    My favourite Steve Kindler solo is that cadenza at the end of “Pastoral” by the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Everyone thinks it’s Ponty, even though Kindler is clearly credited in the LP liner notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Don Sugarcane Harris
    And my fave Sugarcane solo is right there on “Little House I Used to Live In,” probably my most-loved Zappa piece of all-time!

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    If you like KBB, follow Tsuboy's work. Lot's of really great gems hidden in his catalog.
    Also if you like KBB, try ptf. I actually like their Percept from... album better than the new KBB; cheaper, too!

Tsuboy guested on many more albums, in fact way too many to post here, but look into Sixnorth, Strings Arguments, Oofujitsubo, Korekyojinn, Interpose+ and Pochakaite Malko to name only a few. I used to say, everything this (Tsu)boy touches, turns to gold.
    I need more time with that first Interpose+ album, but I like what I’m hearing. Female-fronted Japanese symphonic in the Pageant/Mr. Sirius/Providence/Wappa Gappa vein, and seems to hold its own very well in such illustrious company.

As I recall, the Ie Rai Shan album had some violin (can’t remember who from, but that album was a bit of a “supergroup”). Also, no female vocalist, but Outer Limits have some excellent violin. The Scene of Pale Blue is probably their best album.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...