Thread: Rush - Clockwork Angels Tour

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Rush - Clockwork Angels Tour

Did this tour give you any idea what the concept of the Clockwork Angels album/book is? I still find it kind of odd that they did a concept album based on a book I don't think that many people are going to read. All I can get from the songs is a vague idea of some steampunk dystopian world. I like the songs but if you haven't read the book there's little to go on. I thought the tour might've included films that might help.

In the booklet insert that comes with the album, Neal wrote short descriptive paragraphs before each set of lyrics designed to flesh out the story, similar to what he did on the lyric sheet with 2112. While I love the idea of concept albums, I don't feel the need to immerse myself into a storyline by having a detailed explanation. Prog-metal cheese band Rhapsody of Fire is extreme about this - their first five albums have a storyline called "The Emerald Sword Saga" which comprises several pages in each CD booklet.

I really can't be bothered with that. I'm buying the music primarily for the music and while I do like good lyrics I've never felt the need to read Rhapsody's long booklets, let alone buy an entire separate book just to understand Clockwork Angels. I did read the short blurbs in CA and 2112; they were just enough to give the thought behind the song. Examples of concept albums I like are IQ's "Subterranea", and Zero Hour's "Towers of Avarice." Both have evocative lyrics that are open-ended enough for you to fill in your own details. But both have a definite storyline that can be gleaned just from the lyrics, whereas with CA I don't see a storyline per se; rather I see snippets of different lives and events from this "dystopian world" that don't necessarily have to have a connection from one song to the next. 2112 also has a storyline that can be pieced together from beginning to end.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

If I'm not mistaken, the book (novel) was written after the CD. The author and Peart are friends and worked on it together. I love the disc, but the book got lukewarm reviews so I passed on it. I'm good with the story in my head from the CD.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the book (novel) was written after the CD. The author and Peart are friends and worked on it together. I love the disc, but the book got lukewarm reviews so I passed on it. I'm good with the story in my head from the CD.
    Yes, the book was written later. As for the concept.......I have had a hard time wrapping my head around it too. Still not sure exactly what it is all about (I did not read the book).

I didn't remember the CA booklet having descriptions of what the songs are about so I'll have to take a look. Crazy though that that came before the book because the concept seems pretty bare bones, what ever it is.

But anyway, I was wondering I'd the concerts somehow shed some light ink it all.

Yeah, I never bothered reading any of that Rhapsody stuff either.

It's supposedly similar to the book Candide

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    It's supposedly similar to the book Candide
    Interesting...

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Sure. The lyrics follow the story rather well. However, the title of your thread mentions the tour and since they didn't play the entire album on tour, then no, you would likely not get the gist of the story from attending the concert.

The book is similar to "Candide," yes. It is a great companion to the album and fills in all the gaps with a pretty clean storyline.
    Chad

I thought they did play the whole album on tour - don't they on the live CD?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I thought they did play the whole album on tour - don't they on the live CD?
    No, missing BU2B, Halo Effect and BU2B2.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Plus, they alternated between playing "Seven Cities of Gold" and "Wish Them Well" every other night.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    No, missing BU2B, Halo Effect and BU2B2.
    God, BU2B is good, how could they skip it? Honestly can't remember BU2B2.

I have the book. It is a pretty solid read and covers the themes of the album very well.

The story is also available in comic book form as well...

God, BU2B is good, how could they skip it? Honestly can't remember BU2B2.
    Well they did play BU2B on the previous tour, when it was a pre-album release along with Caravan. BU2B2 is just a short interlude with Geddy singing a verse over violins.

If they had come out and acted it out in costume like Styx did with Kilroy then you'd have something.

I never knew this was a concept story cd. Thought it was just a bunch of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    If they had come out and acted it out in costume like Styx did with Kilroy then you'd have something.
    I expected no less!

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I never knew this was a concept story cd. Thought it was just a bunch of ideas.
    Let's just pretend it is...

Let's just pretend it is...

It's better listen if you admit that it is.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I just imagine random steam- punk imagery.

Never read the book (although I have it) I didn't want Kevin J. Anderson to ruin my interpretation of the lyrics/music.

the story just seems vague, to me- it's a lost soul wandering searching for himself whose journey ends at the beginning.