Thread: Gary Clarke Jr.

Gary Clarke Jr.

Any P. Ears blues lovers a fan of this guy? I have a kid who works for me (he is in his early 20's) that we talk music from time to time and he turned me on to Clarke. Anyway, he has a fantastic new double live album out that I just picked up. If you like blues, this is one to explore for sure.

I bought his 'Blak and Blu' cd after watching his outstanding performance at the Beatles tribute special on CBS earlier this year. Fantastic stuff, I play that cd regularly. He plays other styles as well on that cd but, yes, a lot of it is blues-based. I still need to get that new live cd.

HUGE fan here. He's a must for anyone who is a fan of edgy, blues rock. Like Gerardo said, that Blak n Blu album is great. Lots of different styles, but my fave are when he get's into that dirty, Hendrix-like sound...does a great 'Third Stone From the Sun' in fact.

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I picked up a copy of Blak & Blu - just didn't do anything for me, seemed to go in a lot of different directions without really hitting the target, kind of in the way that Bonamassa guy does.

I would much rather listen to The White Stripes or The Black Keys if I'm in the mood for a more modern take on the blues.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I picked up a copy of Blak & Blu - just didn't do anything for me, seemed to go in a lot of different directions without really hitting the target, kind of in the way that Bonamassa guy does.

I would much rather listen to The White Stripes or The Black Keys if I'm in the mood for a more modern take on the blues.
    Interesting......I love Bonamassa too. I dig some of what Jack White does and have one Black Keys album, both of which I like, but for me Clarke and Bonomassa blow both of them away.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Interesting......I love Bonamassa too. I dig some of what Jack White does and have one Black Keys album, both of which I like, but for me Clarke and Bonomassa blow both of them away.
    In my opinion, Gary Clark Jr. blows all of them out of the water including Bonamassa. I never connected with Bonamassa's music, to me he is just ok at best but the guy is very successful with what he does so kudos to him. I bought two of his cds and sold them because, although not bad, I didn't find them to be memorable or something that I wanted to return to. I do have The Black Keys 'El Camino' cd and like it but I don't feel compelled to investigate them further. I have listened to The White Stripes and, personally, don't know what's the fuss about with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    In my opinion, Gary Clark Jr. blows all of them out of the water including Bonamassa. I never connected with Bonamassa's music, to me he is just ok at best but the guy is very successful with what he does so kudos to him. I bought two of his cds and sold them because, although not bad, I didn't find them to be memorable or something that I wanted to return to. I do have The Black Keys 'El Camino' cd and like it but I don't feel compelled to investigate them further. I have listened to The White Stripes and, personally, don't know what's the fuss about with them.
    Maybe I should have qualified my statement a bit. I never really got into The White Stripes either, although I have enjoyed some of White's stuff since he left that band. I got to see Bonamassa in a club with only about 200 people before he hit it really big. I stood literally about 5 feet from him and he completely blew me out of the water. I have been a fan ever since. I have not had the chance to see Clarke live yet.

Funny...the Black Keys really don't do it for me at all. And Bonamassa, while a phenomenal player doesn't really scratch my blues itch either. Can't really pinpoint it right now, but Gary Clarke Jr's sound just works for me.

Regarding Clark - no doubt the guy is talented, that first album for the major label just struck me as kind of a 'throw it all out there and we'll see what sticks' kind of affair. To my ears it was kind of a scattershot of blues, rock, r&b, funk and even urban dance. I'm sure he's a killer live performer and i'd like to hear what he does in the future. If he would focus more on his gutbucket blues i'm there.

I thought this was fantastic (from Crossroads 2010):

The only thing is... I've seen him do that song at least three other times since then, and they don't seem as spirited. I don't know why/
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Neither guy (Gary and Joe) does it for me either. I find both of their stuff typical clichéd blues, very pedestrian and lacking any real balls. Just my opinion.

Gary Clarke is an awesome talent and one to keep your eyes on in the future.

As for The White Stripes/Black Keys - I'll take a pass on both. Being an Indie-type hipster myself you'd think I would love them both but I find their music too predictable.
    The Prog Corner

I have Blak and Blu and like it. Saw him as an opening act for Tedeschi Trucks Band a few weeks ago. He's good, but I think Derek is better. I like his straight ahead blues, but am not a big fan of when he does his Jimi thing. In many ways I think of him/like him in the same way I like Ben Harper - good musicians, but stay away from the screaming guitar stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    I have Blak and Blu and like it. Saw him as an opening act for Tedeschi Trucks Band a few weeks ago. He's good, but I think Derek is better. I like his straight ahead blues, but am not a big fan of when he does his Jimi thing. In many ways I think of him/like him in the same way I like Ben Harper - good musicians, but stay away from the screaming guitar stuff.
    Funny....the screaming guitar stuff is what I like best about him. Oh well, different strokes......

Yeah me too, Steve. The screaming guitar stuff is what drew me in to begin with. That's just my flavor though.