Thread: Any SnakeFinger fans?? If so ever see him live?

Any SnakeFinger fans?? If so ever see him live?

Was fortunate to see him play in front of about 25 people in New Orleans back in the 80's Blew me away, he had all kinds of freaky films playing on a old school 35mm reel to reel projector on the white screen, crazy shit man. Never forget it as I went with my best friend who has since left his body, miss him dearly. The Snake was loose and wild never knew what to expect next that night!!! Just pure brilliance and art and madness all in one. Anybody can relate??

Fan? Sure. See him live? Would I ever have wanted.

Manual of Errors, Green Postures and Chewing Hides the Sound are his best, IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Greener Postures is my favorite of his albums.

Saw him with the Residents in 85. Guitar work was great, but I learned that night that I'm not a Residents fan.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Saw him with the Residents in 85. Guitar work was great, but I learned that night that I'm not a Residents fan.
    Which is utterly allowed, IMO - and even understandable from the viewpoint of someone who is a fan.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Saw Snakefinger in San Diego in, I believe, 1983, so he'd have been promoting "Manual of Errors" I suppose. Loved the show.

I remember when they used to play Man In The Dark Sedan on USA Night Flight all the time. By Ralph Records standards Snakefinger was a full on commercial sell-out

saw him at Maxs 1980 didn't know any material...pretty boring and not very impressed...should I have been?

Caught a show where the Manual of Errors line up opened for Tom Verlaine in San Francisco 7/18/82...if memory serves, several tunes from Chewing Hides The Sound and Greener Postures were performed. Thought the whole set was high quality, (Eric Drew Feldman contributed a lot)...was really glad they did Man in the Dark Sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Eric Drew Feldman contributed a lot...
    Feldman was great. Played a mean 'tron too! Whatever became of him after Beefheart and Snake?

And just to remember that Snake actually succumbed to a stroke he had while on stage...

Love his music. Manual Of Errors is the one with which I am most familiar. Never saw him live, mind.

One of my friends, a massive fan, visited his grave in the 90s. These are the sort of friends I have. There he met, coincidentally, Snakefinger's daughter. Then they became pals.
    Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Feldman was great. Played a mean 'tron too! Whatever became of him after Beefheart and Snake?
    I saw him in the late '80s or early '90s working at a record store in San Francisco.

Feldman IS great. I saw him with Frank Black in the 90s - he's done a lot of work on FB's solo projects, and on a number of PJ Harvey's albums as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Feldman IS great. I saw him with Frank Black in the 90s - he's done a lot of work on FB's solo projects, and on a number of PJ Harvey's albums as well.
    And was in Pere Ubu for a while.

Feldman also contributes a lot to the excellent second album by dEUS

I'm a big Snakefinger fan but never had the opportunity to see him live. I would liked to have though.

I once spoke with Eric Drew Feldman when he was touring with Pere Ubu and he was a really nice guy. In addition to the post-Beefheart/Snakefinger projects mentioned above, Feldman was also in a band called kNIFE & fORK (whose used CD's are criminally underpriced).

^^^ Underated as well, I used to have some of that music but it has been awhile since hearing it. May have to dig it out and give them a spin or two!