Thread: Strawbs - Prognostic

Strawbs - Prognostic

The embarrassment of riches from the 70's heavies continues with the Strawbs - Prognostic

Did the D/L route so I don't have a lot of background, (info at Strawbsweb / official site is just as sparse), but it re-records of some older songs but with a more stretched out / proggy slant

Love these guys

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I do too and had not heard anything about this so thanks for the heads up. I think their "modern" studio output has been generally very strong.

Old man of prog
    Are all the songs re-recorded?

SO it's like, the prog versions of all their songs that weren't prog to begin with?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

The "genesis" of the songs is discussed in the above link

Two of my very favorite bands, Osanna and Strawbs, have definitely gotten into the habit of re-recording / re-releasing songs of late but I'm ok with that

These versions are quite different

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

The first five songs are re-recorded, the last 4 just re-mastered.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    The first five songs are re-recorded, the last 4 just re-mastered.
    Are you sure about that? The lineup for 1, 3 and 4 looks like the Heartbreak Hill era lineup. Dave Lambert played on 'Something for Nothing' on that album.

Through Aphrodites Eyes looks like it's from 'Broken Hearted Bride'

Deep in the Darkest night looks like its from 'High Seas' (Cousins and Conrad with Rick Wakeman.)

As for the last four tracks: Down By the Sea has a 1980s lineup on it, Blue Angel was from a Dave Cousins solo album, and I suspect Hero and Heroine is from that Hero and Heroine re-recording a few years back. Tomorrow appears to have the Grave New World lineup...

http://strawbsweb.co.uk/@f/f_progno.htm

I'm not sure there is anything new here.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Down By the Sea has a 1980s lineup on it.
    So it's probably from that Greatest Hits Live CD. Blue Angel may be from the 90s Strawbs album of that name (or may be the old Cousins version).

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    So it's probably from that Greatest Hits Live CD. Blue Angel may be from the 90s Strawbs album of that name (or may be the old Cousins version).
    The 'Blue Angel' Strawbs album was made from a Cousins and Willoughby album called 'The Bridge' that came out in the 1990s. I ordered this one from a shop and it took them months to get a copy. I was quite surprised when they seemed to re-record some of it, added a few more songs and released it as a Strawbs album.

I think the track on Progtastic is from 'Two Weeks Last Summer' as it has Jon Hiseman on it.