Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #4. A Woman at a Prog Rock Show

Let's face it very few women are REAL music fans. (Now here is where the three women that are actually here - chime in and disagree with me).

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I found a reasonable facsimile of Waldo in there but can't seem to find the nut and bolt.
    He's right in front of the stage. Holding one in one hand and the other in the other.

Re: truth to the story -- it's a joke, it's a stereotype, it's a cliche'.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Just noticed that the naked Hemisphere's guy is pointing towards the guy in the suite just like on the album cover(see my avatar ).
    I thought it was one of the Thomson Twins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Let's face it very few women are REAL music fans. (Now here is where the three women that are actually here - chime in and disagree with me).
    Perhaps if you think the only real music fans are those who like prog.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Obviously.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I thought it was one of the Thomson Twins.
    I thought that too.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

One down two to go Mythos.

I don't think that's what he meant but I don't know. I can see both points but I would tend to agree with him. I think women just for whatever reason aren't exposed to prog and if they are they just don't get that excited about it for whatever reason. However, I don't think women in general go as nuts about music as men do regardless of the genre though. That's just how I feel and of course that is just my opinion. I think it has something to do with the differences in our brains. For me personally I have a bit of adhd and possibly a bit of aspbergers so I tend to over focus on things and am looking for comfort stuff. People like me tend to hyperfocus and so we tend to get really really into things to the point of obsession. These traits(and diagnoses)are far less common in women so imo that explains why men get really into stuff(including music) where as women are more casual about it. It could also be about the differences between men and women's brains(right brain vs left brain thing). That could explain a lot too.

This is not to say women are not into music but I don't think they have to have 10,000 cds in their collection or obsess about it the way men do. I am on a singles site where there are plenty of women who seem to be really into music. However, probably at least 90 percent of them don't have a clue about prog or at least are not into it. Most of them are into pop stuff, classic rock and especially alternative and indie rock. Being that women tend to be social creatures much more than men their tastes are more reflected in what their friends like. What they are exposed to and like depends on their social circle and what is immediately accessible to them and also their life style(ie a hippy chick will probably like the Grateful Dead and the Allmans a hipster will like Morissey or indie rock or whatever). This is all of course my opinion but it is based on my experiences and observations.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

For what its worth, my wife has a CD collection of nearly *every* industrial/ebm release made. Just sayin.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    For what its worth, my wife has a CD collection of nearly *every* industrial/ebm release made. Just sayin.
    And what kind of meds does she take?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

And for some reason, your location made me laugh. (I'm a big industrial music fan, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    And for some reason, your location made me laugh. (I'm a big industrial music fan, too.)
    I'm sure there's lots of industrial music fans on here.

That would be very single-minded, I would classify a music fan as someone who collects music (ie lots of CD's & Lp's), goes to concerts and searches out new music as opposed to listening to top 40 radio...

One down two to go Mythos.
    I don't think that's what he meant but I don't know.

I can see both points but I would tend to agree with him.

This is not to say women are not into music but I don't think they have to have 10,000 cds in their collection or obsess about it the way men do.
    BINGO, I have been going to concerts since the 70's and most (not all) women at concerts are there because a guy brought them (and I am not talking about only prog rock).

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    That would be very single-minded, I would classify a music fan as someone who collects music (ie lots of CD's & Lp's), goes to concerts and searches out new music as opposed to listening to top 40 radio...
    This applies more to men than women. To be fair though I think there are plenty of casual music fans(male and female)who just aren't that much into music but I think men are over all more into it. Taking classic rock or mainstream rock as an example I think that women are much more likely to want to hear the hits and songs that are familiar to them while men are more likely to want to hear the "deep tracks." I just don't think women get into music the same way men do. That's just my observation. Of course there are always going to be exceptions to the rule(if a band is really well known there will be big fans who are female of that band(lots of female YES fans for example and same thing with Genesis)and I do know some female prog fans but percentage wise there are many more men who are hardcore music enthusiasts.

That's very narrow-minded. Back when I was married, my wife came with me to concerts, but not because I dragged her along, but because she wanted to, and she's sufficiently a social creature that she didn't want to go alone.

You gotta admit, when a girl goes alone, she might as well put a big target on her back. (Look at how you're already singling her out with your vague generalizations.)

Sometimes (most?) she goes with someone just for self defense purposes. She drags them along.

And what kind of meds does she take?
    Married to me? A LOT

That's very narrow-minded. Back when I was married, my wife came with me to concerts, but not because I dragged her along, but because she wanted to, and she's sufficiently a social creature that she didn't want to go alone.

You gotta admit, when a girl goes alone, she might as well put a big target on her back. (Look at how you're already singling her out with your vague generalizations.)

Sometimes (most?) she goes with someone just for self defense purposes. She drags them along.
    I don't really buy the self defense explanation. If anything women are safer if there's mostly guys around. You think if a guy sees another guy attack or pick on a woman nobody would do anything about it? Plenty of women have gone to prog festivals and shows by themselves. It's true they will go in groups if they can but that's because they are social and not because they are worried(any more than they should be in any other situation)about some dude hitting on them or whatever. If you think about it a woman is pretty safe in a big crowd even if she is by herself. It's really only out on the street or somewhere isolated where there is no one else around when weird things might happen.

But we're talking prog fans. My guess is the majority of men at the show wouldn't even know what to do with a single woman!

Geez, where do these stereotypes come from?

The woman is to the left of the merch table, holding green CASH
    The reaction of the guy next to her is the best!

Not a Rush fan but this is pretty clever

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I don't really buy the self defense explanation. If anything women are safer if there's mostly guys around. You think if a guy sees another guy attack or pick on a woman nobody would do anything about it? Plenty of women have gone to prog festivals and shows by themselves. It's true they will go in groups if they can but that's because they are social and not because they are worried(any more than they should be in any other situation)about some dude hitting on them or whatever. If you think about it a woman is pretty safe in a big crowd even if she is by herself. It's really only out on the street or somewhere isolated where there is no one else around when weird things might happen.
    Oh, yeah, no, I wasn't talking about physical attacks, I would like to think a prog crowd would be fairly well behaved in that regard.

No, I was just talking about the same sort of "casual harassment" as seen in that video of just trying to chat someone up when they don't feel like it. That kind of "self defense". And also it's largely the social animal thing -- you know how a lot of people won't go to movies or eat dinner out alone? Same with concerts.

Oh, yeah, no, I wasn't talking about physical attacks, I would like to think a prog crowd would be fairly well behaved in that regard.

No, I was just talking about the same sort of "casual harassment" as seen in that video of just trying to chat someone up when they don't feel like it. That kind of "self defense". And also it's largely the social animal thing -- you know how a lot of people won't go to movies or eat dinner out alone? Same with concerts.

What video are you talking about? Most women are polite about it and most guys can tell if a woman isn't interested in having a conversation. Often I'll wait until I get eye contact or a smile from a woman before talking to them but sometimes I find that if I do that I'll be waiting a long time. LOL. So it just depends on the situation. Anyway, usually it's at a bar kind of environment where the guy is drunk and can't take a hint. But I know what you mean about not going to concerts or dinner by yourself. I myself am single and hate going to concerts by myself(especially after having a few negative experiences). As for dinner I don't typically do that by myself unless it's either fast food an all you can eat buffet(for some strange reason I don't feel as weird going to one of those by myself)or on rare occasions maybe a diner. Eating out is more fun with people and so are concerts. Movies on the other hand I don't have much problem going to by myself.

Sorry, I thought this was common knowledge at this point:

And yeah, totally. I don't have a problem doing anything alone -- I've always been a loner/introvert, been so since childhood. Plus, I have bizarre enough tastes (in everything -- music, movies, and food), that I pretty much had to get over it early. But you'd have to be completely oblivious not to realize that there are a lot of people who aren't so.

[Sorry, I thought this was common knowledge at this point:]

Maybe to you. I've never seen or heard of it before and I don't think you mentioned it by name earlier in the thread. Thanks for posting it though.

Yeah, I'm aware of what women especially beautiful women go through. However, I can't walk into a bar and get free drinks all night so my sympathy has limits.

I do think it's a bit of an exaggeration at the end though when it says over 100 instances of verbal harassment. Sure, much of it could easily be construed that way but some of it was just being friendly. However, I don't think I can ever think of this happening to me as a man so I get the point. Also, I think it's pretty obvious that she was getting this attention because she is beautiful(and imo not so much just because she's a woman;if you replaced her with an old overweight women I don't think she would get anything close to that amount of attention). But back to our original discussion since you brought up the video. How many women by themselves who look like that have you seen at prog concerts?

Btw, there's also one from the male perspective. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75aX9mlipiY
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 11-22-2014 at 12:28 PM.