Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Live VDGG 2CD

I hope they make another trip to the US in 2015. I saw them on their last 2 US visits and I would love to see them again.

Quote Originally Posted by MDC View Post
    CD Track Listing:

1. Flight
    2. Lifetime
    3. All That Before

4. Bunsho
    5. A Plague Of Lighthouse Keeper
    6. Gog

"Bonus" Disc:
    1. Interference Patterns
    2. Over The Hill
    3. Your Time Starts Now
    4. Scorched Earth
    5. Meurglys III, The Songwriter's Guild
    6. Man-Erg
    7. Childlike Faith In Childhood's End

originally, I thought that I'd had enough recent live VdGG (2 double CDs and two DVDs), but those titles I bolded out have convinced me to splurge once more

glad they're not forgetting Trisector... their best XXIst C album (so far)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Anyone knows what specific gigs are being featured?
    Will it be written on the CDs themselves or kept a secret?
    I've no idea if they recorded the show I was at, the RNCM in Manchester, but the acoustics and performance were fabulous.
    I guess we all selfishly want the show we were at to be featured!

Amazon has this listed with a mysteriously wrong track listing. The titles turn out to belong to the soundtrack from Repentance.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    I've no idea if they recorded the show I was at, the RNCM in Manchester, but the acoustics and performance were fabulous.
    I guess we all selfishly want the show we were at to be featured!
    Well of course, can you blame me? :P
    in my case its Prague and Berlin, the 2 opening shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Amazon has this listed with a mysteriously wrong track listing. The titles turn out to belong to the soundtrack from Repentance.

Is this Amazon in UK or USA as will check this out. We have had some right strange things at Amazon recently and not from our end!!!!

Amazon US, here: http://www.amazon.com/Merlin-Atmos-P.../dp/B00PUJZ3OO
    The little blurb under "Editorial Reviews" also pertains to the film soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroProg View Post
    I hope they make another trip to the US in 2015. I saw them on their last 2 US visits and I would love to see them again.
    without a big festival providing a large portion of the financials, it simply won't happen. and someone else would have to do the painful visa paperwork ;-)

I assume the vinyl doesn't include a download of the missing tracks?

I certainly hope this amazon listing mishap doesn't translate to receiving the cd. I would be quite peeved..
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    originally, I thought that I'd had enough recent live VdGG (2 double CDs and two DVDs), but those titles I bolded out have convinced me to splurge once more
    I have only one reunion live release: "Real Time". Usually I do not care for old rockers rehashing old glories, but that one was a fine summary of their illustrious career, so I decided to keep it on my shelf.

Did I miss anything worthwhile when it comes to their live output after that point?

Yes. The Metropolis show is excellent!
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...CVX902139.aspx
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Hi Vicky,

is there any reasons why this album is a import-only in Belgium...

I paid 27.00€ for it today, which is rather extreme for a double live album (at least for Belgium)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Yes. The Metropolis show is excellent!
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...CVX902139.aspx
    I know so little about VDGG, and have heard even less. Would you guys mind posting a few you tubes that you really like and give me an overview? Don't know why they never came my way... Strange.
    Still alive and well...

Their epic from '71 (or '72? Can't recall now):

Mmmm. Godbluff is perfection:

"Bunsho." Probably my favorite track since the band reformed in 2000-um-something (dates. lazy. ass. don't want to get up):

Thanks polmico... Going to have a listen. Funny how much stuff slips by when we are busy with our favorites.
    Still alive and well...

Happy to help. VdGG has been one of my favs for 20+ years now. I didn't really pick a wide variety of tracks there--more just my favs. Some others might steer you in other directions. But I kinda think if you don't like "Plague" then VdGG prolly isn't the band for you. Let us know what you think! (And feel free to rec something new!)

Liked godbluff a lot... Plague sounds like it will require a little more concentration. I hear Bowie-like vocals. Wonder if thats a common comparison? Overall sounds interesting. I found the drummer and sax to my liking also. thanks. Will work my way into their stuff. I know they have been around a while.
    Still alive and well...

It arrived yesterday here in the UK. It's a superb package, very nicely designed. The whole thing is great, but really, the versions of Flight, Lighthouse Keepers and Gog are enough to make this an essential purchase - the rest is all good, but really the rest is a bonus. I closed my eyes during Lighthouse Keepers and though " If I was hearing this band for the first time, what would I think the lineup is and how old would I think the musicians were?". I don't think the answers 3 and mid-60's would feature. They really are on top of their game on this one. Well done to the band and to Esoteric for putting it together so well. If we never get another VDGG album, this one will serve as a suitable epitaph to how good they were.

Ordered this today!

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I hear Bowie-like vocals. Wonder if thats a common
    Stick with VdGG! They're difficult at times, but ultimately worth it (*very* much so). Bowie and Hammill knew each other back when they were starting out when they were signed by Lou Reisner to Mercury Records in the late 60s. It's been stated many times that it's Bowie who sounds like Hammill, and not the other way around. Bowie producer Ken Scott's quote, from the 70s, was in Peter Doggett's Bowie biography, "[Bowie] likes to listen to records a lot. If he gets into an artist he'll buy all their LPs and play them one by one. The last time I can remember him doing that was Van Der Graaf Generator . . . He's a collector, of anything and everything, experiences, influences, the lot." Bowie was hanging out at Trident Studio with VdGG in '70 when the group was recording it's third album (which included Fripp on guitar), "H to He..."

So yes, many have noted the similarities between Bowie and Hammill!

Wow, great story Bucka!! The Bowie reference is very common. Honestly, I've never heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Stick with VdGG! They're difficult at times, but ultimately worth it (*very* much so). Bowie and Hammill knew each other back when they were starting out when they were signed by Lou Reisner to Mercury Records in the late 60s. It's been stated many times that it's Bowie who sounds like Hammill, and not the other way around. Bowie producer Ken Scott's quote, from the 70s, was in Peter Doggett's Bowie biography, "[Bowie] likes to listen to records a lot. If he gets into an artist he'll buy all their LPs and play them one by one. The last time I can remember him doing that was Van Der Graaf Generator . . . He's a collector, of anything and everything, experiences, influences, the lot." Bowie was hanging out at Trident Studio with VdGG in '70 when the group was recording it's third album (which included Fripp on guitar), "H to He..."

So yes, many have noted the similarities between Bowie and Hammill!
    Ha! I did not know that...
    How come there is no mention of this in The Book?