Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 favorite prog albums without drums

Paolo Tofani - Indicazzioni (guitarist from Area)
    http://www.discogs.com/Paolo-Tofani-...elease/1476767

Suspended
    There are probably many synth or mostly synth albums that don't have drums, not even synthesised drums. A bigger challenge might be to name albumsthat feature conventional instruments, except with no drums.

In many cases I hardly notice the drumming unless my attention is drawn to it, which I think is as it should be. that's not to say I am dismissive of drums or drummers, just that in most cases the drumming provides the background, or the atmosphere - a bit like the canvas employed by a painter, or camera techniques used by a movie director. they are esential to the work, but ideally they should hardly be noticed.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    notta - zero
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Synergy (Larry Fast) - Electronic Realizations, Sequencer
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    There are probably many synth or mostly synth albums that don't have drums, not even synthesised drums. A bigger challenge might be to name albumsthat feature conventional instruments, except with no drums.
    Yeah, I can think of songs, but not albums.

Limiting it to one album per artist. Something like this:
    (not in order)

daniel kane - on the street where you live
    al di meola - cielo e terra
    fripp, eno - equatorial stars
    vangelis - soil festivities (pending on re-listening some of his other albums)
    do'a - light upon light
    enya - the celts (pending on re-listening her "watermark" and "shepherd moons")
    kitaro - silk road
    tony geballe - native of the rain
    steve hackett - momentum
    paco de lucia, al di meola, john mclaughlin - friday night in san francisco

special mention: tarık öcal- gitar alaturka [vol. 1]
    sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhvYoOat1S0

Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola & Jean-Luc Ponty - The Rite of Strings
    Peter Ostroushko & Dean Magraw - Duo
    Brooke Waggoner - Go Easy Little Doves

Ooo...I forgot about the first Jade Warrior! I’ll add that one, even if only a little over half of it is great.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Celeste - Principe Di Giorno
    Führs & Fröhling - Ammerland

Usually when someone asks for a "top 10", the problem seems to be that people are unable to limit their featured titles. Here, however, people seem content to list one or two.

Fave drumless progressive acts:

Conventum
    Jade Warrior
    Harmonium
    Azahar
    Julverne
    Art Zoyd
    Archaïa
    Comus
    Wapassou
    ZNR
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Usually when someone asks for a "top 10", the problem seems to be that people are unable to limit their featured titles. Here, however, people seem content to list one or two.
    My biggest problem would be knowing who is drummer less & who isn't. Trusting to other peoples lists my favorites would be:-

Aranis - Songs From Mirage
    Julverne - le neuf
    Klaus Schulze - X
    Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
    Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge
    Harmonium - Les Cinq Saison ..
    Art Zoyd - Symphonie Pour...
    Archaïa - s/t
    Comus - First Utterance
    Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Gryphon - first album
    My favorite Gryphon record--but also their least *typically* progressive & most traditional!

David Oberle's percussion sounds great/well-recorded (and is way up in the mix which seems to be a rarity for *most* folk-based/traditional albums, and which adds much to the character of that album, imo (even though that first one was such a cheaply made/budget-type recording)!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post

Tangerine Dream was the first thing that came to mind, but thinking back, they had drums on Electronic Meditation and I think Zeit and Atem,
    There's drums on Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri, Ricochet, and Cyclone. Zeit has only electric organs, synths (mostly EMS gear, though Florian Fricke did play his Moog on one track), electric organ, and that cello quartet one side one.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    There's drums on Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri, Ricochet, and Cyclone. Zeit has only electric organs, synths (mostly EMS gear, though Florian Fricke did play his Moog on one track), electric organ, and that cello quartet one side one.
    There’s drums on Force Majeure as well (by Klaus Krieger, who also played on Cyclone). Zeit also has bass guitar, but the only percussion instruments on the album are cymbals.

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    My favorite Gryphon record--but also their least *typically* progressive & most traditional!
    Mine too...but then my second favorite is Red Queen, which is their most typically progressive and least traditional!

Thanks for the follow-up, I knew it (drums in TD) faded quickly, and there were sporadic bursts after, just couldn't be sure without, you know, playing back everything.

And quite honestly, I would think electronic drums would count as well, but that leads me back to the question -- why? I love drums. It's certainly interesting, I'm just curious what the motivation was behind the thread, that would help solve the "do they or don't they" count question.

Klaus Schulze certainly had a lot of drum loops on a lot of his records (especially the half-hour sides of slabs of vinyl), and I'm not sure it matters whether anyone actually played them and whether or not I know whether or not anyone actually played them.
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 11-16-2014 at 01:48 AM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    enya - the celts (pending on re-listening her "watermark" and "shepherd moons")
    I'm pretty sure "Storms In Africa", from Watermark, has plenty of drum.

Also from Québec: L’engoulevent and Breche.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

In many cases I hardly notice the drumming unless my attention is drawn to it, which I think is as it should be. that's not to say I am dismissive of drums or drummers, just that in most cases the drumming provides the background, or the atmosphere - a bit like the canvas employed by a painter, or camera techniques used by a movie director. they are esential to the work, but ideally they should hardly be noticed.
    So the drummer is basically the bus boy of the band? I guess that works for some types of music, but not for 90% of the stuff I listen to.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    So the drummer is basically the bus boy of the band? I guess that works for some types of music, but not for 90% of the stuff I listen to.
    Not being familiar with the expression "bus boy", I can't answer that.

Not being familiar with the expression "bus boy", I can't answer that.
    Okay, how about "janitor?"

Wow Bob, I guess Pink Floyd is your ultimate band then!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Okay, how about "janitor?"
    Well, it's not the expression i would use, but if you want to use it, go ahead. I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make.