Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - The Flower Kings : Space Revolver

FEATURED CD - The Flower Kings : Space Revolver

Per Allmusic
    Sweden's The Flower Kings represent the finer elements of progressive rock as they artfully expound upon the early-'70s, much beloved British Canterbury Scene amid dashes of psychedelic rock and to a lesser extent, jazz fusion. With this 2000 release, the musicians continue their forward thinking ways, as they touch upon disparate elements amid complex arrangements and tenacious ensemble work along with the occasional nod to contemporary jazz, thanks to multi-instrumentalist Ulf Wallander's tasty soprano saxophone work. And while the band often takes the listener on a whirlwind tour of memorably melodic themes, impacting rhythms and circuitous discourses, lead vocalist Roine Stolt's authoritative presence and concisely executed vocals only enhance the overall proceedings. Simply stated, Space Revolver is a beautifully recorded opus. One that is brimming with ingenuity and the band's distinctive approach to a genre that often flounders within it's own sense of uncertainty.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/space-...r-mw0000070060

Regards,

Duncan

After releasing three double length CDs (Stardust, Flower Power, Alive), Space Revolver to me was a great solid album that had far less filler and equally as much great/classic pieces. I and the Sun 1 & 2 are the obvious highlights here, something as powerful as Stardust We Are but split into two parts to bookend the album. Monster Within, Chicken Farmer and Underdog are excellent pieces in the interior. You Don't Know What You've Got is a singable melody and A King's Prayer is another nice piece thrown in. In my list of favorite TFK releases, I'm torn between this one, Paradox Hotel and Flower Power. But I think this is their most consistently good release even though it may not have quite the peaks of Stardust.

This one I've sort of changed my mind about over time- there's more focus, true, but something was lost. The production also has a slicker feel to it IMHO. When I listen to them now I usually go for the double albums I kept of theirs- 'Stardust We Are' and 'Unfold The Future', especially the latter. The more freewheeling, jazzier feel of that one has actually lasted with me, whereas I wasn't that keen on that aspect at first.

There is definitely 'filler' on here, I think- I'm sorry to say I feel it's the songs flowerking singled out as highlights- apologies! I'm not at all fond of the middle part of the album- 'You Don't Know What You Got', 'Chicken Farmer Song' and 'Underdog' are not very strong. It's better, but 'The Monster Within' I've always struggled with, too messy- that's the Achilles' heel of the band for me, song structure which I find overtly 'piecemeal'.

It is, however, worth having for 'I Am The Sun', the two parts of which bookend the album. Not sure what that 'I Left My Heart In San Francisco' interlude is about, but there's some strong playing in there the rest. The 2nd part is especially nice.

Love this album. Love this band. This was the last one where Stolt was the true lead singer. From The Rainmaker on Hasse Froberg took a more prominent role. I'm all in favor of it as he's one of my favorite singers ever but Space Revolver is a great album in its own right. And "Chicken Farmer Song" is so good!!!!

10/10
    The Prog Corner

I either gave this CD away or sold it years ago, but I vividly remember "Rumble Fish Twist" and the second part of "I Am the Sun" as being exceptional. Looking at the tracklist also reminded me of "Chicken Farmer Song," which I'd pretty much forgotten but was quite fun (the silliness somehow manages to still be endearing but not off-putting; I think the catchy melody is what redeems it).

The rest is... patchy. It feels like Roine just wanted to cram in every scrap of an idea he churned out, and the final product would have greatly benefited from some creative QC and especially editing (much like the other FK albums I remember hearing around that time, though that wasn't nearly all of them). "I Am the Sun" P1, for instance, would have been twice as effective at half or 2/3 its length, especially if the lyrics were a smidge less dumb. Among the remainder of the album, the only part I can actually remember was the chorus saying "we've got the world in our hands," which I only remember for being even more off-puttingly cheesy than the rest.

All a matter of taste of course. In my earliest more-is-more phase of proggy obsession I probably would have enjoyed every second, but it came along after I'd started appreciating restraint and focus a bit more. Still, it may be worth revisiting in parts since this stuff seems more fitting for the download age.

One of my favorites from the past 15 years. Not much else to say. I've bought it on three different occasions. There's a couple of tracks that aren't that great but the good far outweighs the bad. I even like "underdog."

LOVE IT! "Underdog" is one of my favorite TFK songs. I love the loose swagger of this tune, with the slide guitar and the "Penny Lane"-type horn fills.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    LOVE IT! "Underdog" is one of my favorite TFK songs. I love the loose swagger of this tune, with the slide guitar and the "Penny Lane"-type horn fills.
    Yep. Plus it's just such a catchy melody it makes you wonder why it was never a top ten hit. One of my favorites also. The thing is it doesn't appear on any live albums and I kind of doubt they ever played it live.

I like Space Revolver. Not as much as 'Garden of Dreams', which I think is mostly brilliant, or 'Stardust We Are', disc one of I especially love, but I prefer it to disc 2 of 'Flower Power'. My faves are 'I Am The Sun' (1 & 2), 'Rumble Fish Twist', and 'Chicken Farmer's Song'. A pretty consistant FK release, too.

No love for "Chicken Farmer Song" but the rest of the album is solid and "I am the Sun" opening and closing are transcendent
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    After releasing three double length CDs (Stardust, Flower Power, Alive), Space Revolver to me was a great solid album that had far less filler and equally as much great/classic pieces. I and the Sun 1 & 2 are the obvious highlights here, something as powerful as Stardust We Are but split into two parts to bookend the album. Monster Within, Chicken Farmer and Underdog are excellent pieces in the interior. You Don't Know What You've Got is a singable melody and A King's Prayer is another nice piece thrown in. In my list of favorite TFK releases, I'm torn between this one, Paradox Hotel and Flower Power. But I think this is their most consistently good release even though it may not have quite the peaks of Stardust.
    Pretty much exactly what I thought about it too. Being a single album there was a lot more meat and less filler on this one.

One of their best IMO. With Stardust and Flower Power, I think this was probably their best period.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Their best, IMO. Love every second of it.

The last FK album where Tomas Bodin was allowed such input - "Rumble Fish Twist" remains a favourite.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    A classic of melodic/symphonic prog, IMO ... for that matter, just about their entire output fits that category for me. Back in the late 90s, TFK almost single-handedly revived my interest and renewed my hope in the genre, so perhaps I let things slide that others wouldn't ... but these guys deserve YES-sized accolades from where I sit.

Here <-- is a cover we did a few years back of the song that started it all.

Strangely, I find the individual pieces are stronger than the sum of the parts. I like the songs but together it just doesn't seem to add up to a classic. But I agree with the people who like Underdog. I love the melody and sing along with it every time I hear it.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by ProgPariah77 View Post
    A classic of melodic/symphonic prog, IMO ... for that matter, just about their entire output fits that category for me. Back in the late 90s, TFK almost single-handedly revived my interest and renewed my hope in the genre, so perhaps I let things slide that others wouldn't ... but these guys deserve YES-sized accolades from where I sit.
    Amen - in a nutshell.

Space Revolver is the first TFK album I heard, it is still my favourite and it is one of my favourite all-time albums.

From start to finish it is music that totally connects with me and the climax of I Am The Sun Pt 2 is one of the most spine-tingling moments in recorded history.

In short - I rather like it

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    No love for "Chicken Farmer Song" but the rest of the album is solid and "I am the Sun" opening and closing are transcendent
    Really? Do you seriously think "don't know what you've got" is a better song than "Chicken Farmer Song?"

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Really? Do you seriously think "don't know what you've got" is a better song than "Chicken Farmer Song?"
    When I was into this album, "You Don't Know...." was the best place to go take piss and grab another beer.

No mention of this track:

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

One of the things I love about this album, and FK albums generally, is the pop song catchiness and melodicism, interspersed with expansive, cosmic 'symph.' I don't think the album would be nearly as good without tunes like "Chicken Farmer's Song" and "You don't Know What You've Got." That variety and stylistic dynamism gives the whole package a balanced, satisfying quality.

Put another way, I find the album to be, among other things like psychedelic expansive, both movingly heartfelt, and silly in a Zappa-esque way. Great stuff.
    Last edited by Reach; 11-14-2014 at 10:08 AM.

This is the first Flower Kings album I bought when I found out about the band. "Stardust" is my favorite but this is definitely in the top five on my TFK's list. A great listening experience...

My problem with 'You Don't Know What You Got' is it's like a generic acoustic ballad by a 'hair metal' band of the late 80s/early 90s.

This, Back in the world of adventures and Sum of No evil are imo the best single disc TFK albums.

I really enjoy this album although I find it listening more to the first and last song...the bonus disc is track last exit is quite good...