Thread: TRANSATLANTIC KALIVEOSCOPE DVD

TRANSATLANTIC KALIVEOSCOPE DVD

HI !

HAVE ANY OF YOU SEEN THE TRANSATLANTIC KALIVEOSCOPE DVD. READ A REVIEW IN AMAZON THAT WAS TOTALLY NEGATIVE, NO FOR THE PERFORMANCE ITSELF, BUT FOR THE QUALITY OF THE PRODUCTION - "BASS GUITARS OVER THE TOP, KEYBOARDS BARELY AUDIBLE, DRUMS LIKE COMING FROM ANOTHER ROOM", ETC. NEED YOUR INPUT. THANKS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    YOU'll BE ABLE TO HEAR IT ALL FINE AS LONG YOU'RE NOT SHOUTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-10-2014 at 07:16 PM.

I LIKE IT, I DON'T HAVE TO PUT MY HEARING AIDS IN!!!!!

Something tells me, on certain days, Portnoy TALKS LIKE THIS!!!

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Gerhard was kind enough to lend me his copy. I haven't checked the DVD's yet, but I must admit to being a little disappointed in the picture quality on the Blu-ray (through the first song so far). It's like half the cameras video'd in standard def and were up-converted. Lots of 'fuzziness' and blockiness on half the camera angles. Could be a factor of the lighting for concerts like this...audio seemed okay to me; typical wall-of-sound concert experience

Later tonight I'll toss the DVD in the same player/TV and see if there are any glaring differences.

Peter

When 100% prog cheese is on the menu, who cares about details like this? (And I like my prog cheese.)

DVD sounded about the same to me; video quality was sub-par to the blu-ray, but not by a whole lot. --Peter

Oh, I only watched the Blu-Ray, so maybe the DVD cheese is stinky.

Sorry to the ones with delicate ears. Didn't realize that using capital letters is equivalent to SHOUTING. But well, thanks for the rest fof the comments. Still, nobody has commented on the audio quality. Not care so much about the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I LIKE IT, I DON'T HAVE TO PUT MY HEARING AIDS IN!!!!!

Something tells me, on certain days, Portnoy TALKS LIKE THIS!!!
    Now that you mentioned Portnoy and making reference to sounding load I saw Flying Colors live on September and I was wondering if there was a need to sound so loud at times, in particular from Portnoy set. I know Steve & Neal Morse, & Dave LaRue but don't know too much about Portnoy. I'm assuming from your post that is his style?

I only got the single Blu-Ray edition and I can confirm that...

- the video quality is somewhat disappointing (agree with what Proglodite posted above);
    - audio quality is very good (on stereo system), bass guitar is very articulated indeed but far from being "over the top", drums and other instruments balanced in the mix nicely

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    I saw Flying Colors live on September and I was wondering if there was a need to sound so loud at times, in particular from Portnoy set
    I always wonder if most of the guys at the sound mixing consoles in various venues are just plain deaf and judge the sound levels by the physical impact a sound from a bassdrum makes on their chests.
    Last edited by Azol; 11-11-2014 at 04:17 AM.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Audio sounds fine to me and the video quality of the DVD is good.

I've watched about 2/3rds of the main video programme - looked and sounded fine to me.

I also watched the documentary, and I have to say I found it for the most part underwhelming. There was a sense of fun in the "Whirld" documentary that made it really nice to watch, which here sounds half-hearted, with a lot of uninteresting commentary from Trewavas in particular (who is evidently a VERY nice guy but not particularly good at assessing the band's performances), and even the enthusiastic Neal Morse seems to be going through the motions... Perhaps he's done the "making of" thing too many times and can't find anything new to do. This was partly redeemed by some cool footage from the Progressive Nation at Sea cruise. I found Adrian Belew in particular to be really gracious and cool about sitting in with them, treating them as equals rather than doing the "I'm doing you a favour" attitude. Jon Anderson is observed from more of a distance, and while his set with Transatlantic was a nice idea, it was clearly more something to be enjoyed in the moment (and Portnoy certainly seems to have enjoyed it a LOT) than listened to again, although the finale with members of Spock's Beard and others joining in during "Würm" had some cool keyboard solos.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Thanks for your input. I think will get de Blu Ray DVD.