Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Today's 12/12/12 Hurricane Sandy Benefit concert @ MSG

I have a theory, partly clued in by Sean calling it quits when The Who finished at 10:00 pm CDT. After all the shitstorm NBC found itself in after they covered worthless boy bands in the Olympics closing ceremony and didn't air the Who until after the local news break, the promoters decided to not repeat the mistake. Have what should be the explosive finale just before bedtime. Then the remaining acts for those able to stay up and reward them with Sir Paul.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Can't help but compare the mega-bands of Billy Joel, Roger Waters and Bruce Springsteen with the Eric Clapton guitar, bass and drums format - simple wins out every time.
    Simple in a Prog forum? he-he

meimjustalawnmower
    What in the hell was that thing Kanye West was wearing? A skirt? A leather kilt? And man did he suck!

I enjoyed just about all of it except KW.

The Who and PM really surprised me with their energy.

Smashing!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Tea & Theater was the closing Who song. That was from Endless Wire. I, unfortunately, missed McCartney, who I really wanted to see but had some work to do. A friend has it recorded so I will get to see the whole thing properly. Clapton was the highlight for me from what I saw. He always steps up his game when he is the only guitarist. Was not expecting the trio format.

My wife kept wondering why Daltrey, at his age, should bare his chest. She thought he was entirely too old for such behavior.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

He's still pretty cut. It's not like he looked all fat and slovenly. He's in better shape than most guys 1/2 his age.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Tea & Theater was the closing Who song. That was from Endless Wire. I, unfortunately, missed McCartney, who I really wanted to see but had some work to do. A friend has it recorded so I will get to see the whole thing properly. Clapton was the highlight for me from what I saw. He always steps up his game when he is the only guitarist. Was not expecting the trio format.

My wife kept wondering why Daltrey, at his age, should bare his chest. She thought he was entirely too old for such behavior.

Bill
    That's true about Clapton solo, or in a trio.
    He gets lazy in those huge ensembles.

Hey, if I look that good at 68, my shirt's coming off too!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Best tweet I saw regarding Daltrey's physique: "Sure Roger, you've got a nice chest at your age, but you've got my grandma's head."

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Ok- some dude named Robbie Wyckoff. Never heard of him. Apparently, a successful session vocalist. Well, he wasn't on his game tonight.
    http://www.robbiewyckoff.com/main/?page_id=18

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Pretty enjoyable show all around. This was probably the best Clapton I've seen/heard.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Like I say, I thought EC was the highlight of the show and I've seen many favorable comments about his performance. Oddly enough, I talked a hard core Clapton fan today and he thought it was weak.

Now I'm a pretty big EC fan myself and I thought it was a great performance so go figure.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

the who still rock

yeah, The Who stole the show. it's a good thing that the producers didn't force them to share the stage with a pop pundit.