Thread: Pavlov's Dog: The Pekin Tapes

Pavlov's Dog: The Pekin Tapes

The recently released "The Pekin Tapes" contain recordings Pavlov's Dog made two years prior to "Pampered Menial". Five tracks (Subway Sue, Natchez Trace, Song Dance, Fast Gun and Preludin & Fellacio In E Minor) would appear on the debut-album, but the versions on these old recordings sound a lot more dynamic and symphonic; the Mellotron is really loud in the mix. The latter song is even an 8 minutes long version. The other five tracks have their moments, while the four bonus-tracks are even older demo-recordings, featuring amongst others early versions of Natchez Trace and Fast Gun.

nice to see the band go through the old tapes for treasures.. but after a rather strong release "Echo and Boo", I would hope that they would get back in the studio again! :-)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Well, actually the old tapes were lost for more than 40 years, partly becouse the Golden Voice Studio "burned to the ground, taking with it the original master tapes" (from the liner notes). These recordings come from a well preserved copy which was discovered in a private archive this year.

most cool... and I (fan) will pick this up when I see it. Having picked up the Siegfried? and Lost in America over the last few years, I'd love to see them record more as well..
    cheers :-)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Same place Starcastle recorded much of their pre-1st album demos and released on their "Chronos One" cd a few years ago. To think these two bands were recording at one time or another 15 minutes from my house unbeknownst to my teenaged self!

Oh wow. Golden Voice Recording Studio. Now there is a blast from my past. I graduated from Pekin Community High School (Pekin Illinois) in 1975. Golden Voice Recording Studio was actually located in South Pekin Illinois (about 5-10 south of Pekin). I went to school with one of the owner's daughters and spent some time at that studio during my 'musician' days. Pavlov's Dog and Starcastle were just a couple of bands who recorded there in the middle 1970's. Styx also recorded a couple of albums there (when they were on Wooden Nickel Records.....obviously before they became huge). Also, Dan Fogelberg recorded the Captured Angel album there. During the mid 1970's, Golden Voice was a very well known and respected studio not only in the Midwest, but nationally. And yes, the Goldern Voice Recording Studio did burn down. I do not remember the year, but it was always suspected it was arson, either from some questionable financial dealings (never proven), or from some of the locals, who did not like the idea of the long haired rock and roll people in their town (South Pekin is known as being a rough town). I'll have to grab the "Pekin Taps" and add them to my collection. Thanks to the OP for causing the memories to flow on this one!

Cool! Nice to read from you, Mr. Puff. Hope you're well. -Brian D.

Sonova gun! Limestone High School, class of 1975 here!

According to this site The Golden Voice Recording Studio burned down on July 10th 1978.

The 1st ever release of the “Lost Third Album” compiled from the 2013 re-discovered original mastertapes. Best sound quality EVER, much better than any previous versions which were all made from poor sounding cassette tapes.

Cover artwork originally designated by Columbia in 1977, never used and re-discovered 2013.

Includes the true story of this album, written by David Surkamp.

Includes 9 previously unreleased bonus tracks (*). All bonus tracks are new and different to previous versions of this album.

Total playing time ca. 74 minutes.

Tracklist:
    01 Good Bye Trafalgar
    02 Falling In Love
    03 Only You
    04 Painted Ladies
    05 I Love You Still
    06 Jenny
    07 Today
    08 Stop Short * (original outtake)
    09 It's All For You
    10 Suicide
    11 While You Were Out
    12 Falling In Love * (alternative mix)
    13 Julia * (David Surkamp acoustic version 2007)
    14 She Came Shining * (live 2012)
    15 Fast Gun * (live 2011)
    16 She Breaks Like A Morning Sky * (live 2011)
    17 Paris * (live 2011)
    18 Good Bye Trafalgar * (live 2012)
    19 Only You * (live 2012)

Regular version: Digipak cardboard sleeve

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I've checked out some PD and but don't dig the vocals.

I never picked up on these guys back then, but this thread made me investigate PD.

I bought the 2 cd Pampered/Bell combo Columbia album from an Amazon Mktplc. seller after youtubing some PD tunes.

The songwriting and music from this band is so f*****g good that I figure if I was finally able to overcome my aversion to the "Fly By Night" era Geddy vox after several years and actually like them now, I'll eventually "get" Surkamp.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman