Thread: A.C.T Circus Pandemonium - their best?

A.C.T Circus Pandemonium - their best?

Okay, so it was available as an import for months but the USA release of album numero cinco by these guys just happened about a week ago and, while still digesting it, once again it seems to me that they've improved their writing, their playing ( ! ) and their overall function as a unit. Plus, it's a concept album! Anyone else have opinions about this?

I think it's pretty decent at the start… "The End" and "Everything's Falling" are more solid bits of quirky prog-rock-pop that A. C. T does very well. My only problem is, frankly, I hate the "Elephant Man" concept behind the album. Plus, all the spoken bits grate on me after a while. But honestly, it fits well with "Last Epic" in terms of being a generally engaging listen from beginning to end.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I had picked it up at RoSFest. It is a good album by them, but I don't think it rises to the level of, say, Last Epic. Personally, I'm just glad they are back making music again after a rather extended layoff.

Old man of prog
    Having owned it for months now I can say without reservation it is firmly lodged on my Top10 list for 2014

Well, so far, everyone likes it at least somewhat. Interesting comment about the Elephant Man - I hadn't made that similarity connection. I got the impression that the evil ringmaster is supposed to be the freak guy's father, but I'm not sure. Just digging their sound in a new set of tunes. Love the drum production, too.

Last Epic is their best. pandemonium has its moments but not as good as Epic.

i think its a great album ,its up there with last epic as their best.

Would I be safe in my assessment that people were disappointed with Silence? I was not - thought it a brilliant way to follow The Last Epic, tasteful, reflective and somewhat restrained, though explosive in spots on individual performances.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Would I be safe in my assessment that people were disappointed with Silence? I was not - thought it a brilliant way to follow The Last Epic, tasteful, reflective and somewhat restrained, though explosive in spots on individual performances.
    I thought Silence was great; just not as good as Last Epic. I'm not quite as fond of A.C.T's suites that end albums; they always feel a bit more forced than the stand alone songs.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)