Thread: Patrick Moraz' best contribution to the Moody Blues was......

Patrick Moraz' best contribution to the Moody Blues was......

There seems to be quite a bit of love for Patrick Moraz on this site particularly in relation to his stint in Yes and his first one or two solo albums.
    However, 'cos I'm not exactly a big Moody Blues fan, I've not really followed how the band benefited from his presence on the post-Pinder albums - I don't own any of them!
    So please feel free to enlighten me:

"Patrick Moraz' best contribution to the Moody Blues was......" - album, track, solo, keyboard sound, live performance or whatever?

All recommendations will be appreciated.

I think Moraz tended to overplay on the MB albums. LONG DISTANCE VOYAGER is probably the best although I have always liked THE PRESENT very much. SUR LA MER is patchy but has a few good songs like "River ofEndless Love" and "Deep".

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I think Moraz tended to overplay on the MB albums. LONG DISTANCE VOYAGER is probably the best although I have always liked THE PRESENT very much. SUR LA MER is patchy but has a few good songs like "River ofEndless Love" and "Deep".
    I think the same. On LDV he was probably trying to fit in with what was considered the Moodies' sounde, and he managed it fairly well. On later albums he gets carried away with his own technical skill, as for example those annoying keyboard arpeggio flourishes on "Blue World".

I really enjoyed Patrick performing live with the Moodies. The instrumental break on "Veteran Cosmic Rocker" was always a fun time where Patrick got to jam a bit (5:00-8:30 in the below video):

I like that intro on Your Wildest Dreams. I assume that was Patrick's deal anyway.

I think "The Spirit" on The Other Side of Life is his only writing credit, and it does have a good keyboard solo.

agree with wintertree---think the brought amazing energy into the records and live performances---he did the same for Yes---what I find interesting about his time with Moodies is that he could do this kind of commercial elevator music prog so well lol---from his work with Refugee and Yes I thought he was more of a avant garde jazzy type.

Love his work on "Blue World." Great sound, too. Different strokes....

Another vote here for "The Spirit." Great little song and it challenges both Hayward and Lodge to go outside their comfort zones.

"Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I always liked that swooshy/rumbling thing he did at the beginning of the Voice. It used to make my AM radio clatter around on my desk.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm going with Gemini Dream as the worst moment in Pat's career that I'm aware of.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I really enjoyed Patrick performing live with the Moodies. The instrumental break on "Veteran Cosmic Rocker" was always a fun time where Patrick got to jam a bit
    I think it was in the 1981 tour, "Legend of a Mind" had a great extended flute/piano/drums section that was really nice. I recall that both my wife and a woman I was working with at the time considered that song "ruined" because it wasn't exactly like the record.