Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relayer - Yes and Moraz?

Relayer - Yes and Moraz?

In an interview in the latest Prog mag, Patrick Moraz says something along the lines that Yes have only got to ask and he'd be there to play.
    Yes have now played four albums in full on recent tours - what chance is there that Relayer could be the 5th?
    If PM is invited along then surely it becomes more viable, they could tour with two keyboard players - or maybe Downes might like an opportunity to take some time off to dedicate to Asia?
    How many copies of the new Relayer 5.1 disc do we have to buy to make the band take note and consider making this happen?

I hate to say it, but I don't think Alan White is up to it
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

They've talked about doing at least "Sound Chaser," if not the whole album, though I really doubt that they could pull it off.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    They've talked about doing at least "Sound Chaser," if not the whole album, though I really doubt that they could pull it off.
    For real! Sound Chaser is my favorite track on the album, but it is brutally strenuous, especially on drums and guitar. While I am not a big fan of Relayer, I could listen to Alan wail on Sound Chaser (and Ann of Cleves on Six Wives of Henry VII) all day long. Asking him to do that every night on tour may be a tall order. Ditto for Steve.

As for Patrick, I do not know why, but he seems to be something of an enigma to me. Most of us can figure out the personalities and motivations of Emerson, Wakeman, Downes, Jobson, and other keyboardists, Moraz escapes me. Too needy? An opportunist? Or simply someone who marches to the beat of a different drummer? Astonishingly talented, versatile, creative...but somehow different. Is it because he is Swiss, rather than British? It certainly does make him intersting.
    Last edited by cavgator; 10-30-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Sound Shambler.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Agree completely.

Another case of "gee, why didn't they think of this 20 years ago?" Too late now, I don't want to hear them butcher the album.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I still think they'd be up to playing "To Be Over", but I seriously doubt they'd set Downes aside unless he asked for it. He's seen as a team player and low-maintenance in the keyboard department, qualities Squire especially prizes highly. Besides, you just get the feeling there were no tears shed when Moraz was shown the door in '76... for whatever reason.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I still think they'd be up to playing "To Be Over", but I seriously doubt they'd set Downes aside unless he asked for it. He's seen as a team player and low-maintenance in the keyboard department, qualities Squire especially prizes highly. Besides, you just get the feeling there were no tears shed when Moraz was shown the door in '76... for whatever reason.
    I always wondered why Moraz wasn't part of the Union tour. Was it because he wasn't invited or did he turn them down and why?
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    I always wondered why Moraz wasn't part of the Union tour. Was it because he wasn't invited or did he turn them down and why?
    I wonder if Squire considered him little more than an employee - even if he wasn't?

Because the "Union" wasn't a reunion, it was about combining the then-current factions together in a saleable product. Hence, no Banks either.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Another case of "gee, why didn't they think of this 20 years ago?" Too late now, I don't want to hear them butcher the album.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Because the "Union" wasn't a reunion, it was about combining the then-current factions together in a saleable product. Hence, no Banks either.
    Exactly.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Moraz fit the bill in July 1975 when I saw him in concert with Yes. They opened with Sound Chaser (which Moraz co-wrote). He was so strong on the keys but did not take the spotlight except during his solo on "Long Distance Runaround". And to a much younger me, it was impossible to tell it wasn't Wakeman when they did songs from the other albums.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    I wonder if Squire considered him little more than an employee - even if he wasn't?
    Ya, I thought I read Moraz had to sue the Yes management company to get paid and that a big part of his lawsuit rested upon whether he was an employee or an equal partner band member.
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Ya, I thought I read Moraz had to sue the Yes management company to get paid and that a big part of his lawsuit rested upon whether he was an employee or an equal partner band member.
    I think this refers to his lawsuit against the Moody Blues, not Yes.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I think this refers to his lawsuit against the Moody Blues, not Yes.
    This has been discussed before.. hunt for the thread... but Patrick got ripped off by Yes management... the two tours he did with them saw very little $'s in his pocket.. may even be able to pull up Moraz interview from NFTE past issues.. If I were Moraz I'd stay clear of Yes at this point.. he left his mark.. Relayer and the subsequent tours are very high water marks in Yes' history..

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I still think they'd be up to playing "To Be Over",.
    That's the one song that would make me want to see them again, though paradoxically, since I prefer to avoid setlist spoilers, how would I know they were playing it, without "spoiling the surprise"? Anyhow, that's still my favorite Yes song, and it's the one song I would want to hear them play the most. I think up until Fly From Here came out, I had seen them do at least one song from every album except Talk and Union (and ABWH, if you want to count that, though I think Rick and Jon did one of the songs from ABWH when I saw them in 2002). I've seen them do all the songs from Close To The Edge, and Going For The One. With exception of two tracks, I've seen them do all of Fragile, and except for one, I've seen them do all of The Yes Album. I've seen them do over half of Tales From Topographic Oceans, and half of Relayer.

There's no place for them to go with the old catalog, as far as I'm concerned, in terms of "What are we going to play on the next tour" except To Be Over, and judging from the comments I keep hearing about the last two albums (which I still haven't heard), I'm not too anxious to hear them new material.

I have no desire to see them do an "albums" tour again. I'd prefer a setlist that draws from more of their catalog, and play some things that haven't been in the setlist for years.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Sound Shambler.
    Oh, but McGuire and the guys are going to do covers of The Science Group now.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I would also sadly have to agree to this. I saw them on their recent tour and he definitely seemed to be the weak link. Was not driving the beat at all and looked lost at times.

I'm sure he could use the money. How does he make a living these days?
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'd probably turn down free Yes tickets at this point, but if Levin, Torn & White ever put together a tour, I'm there.

Cha-cha-cha, cha-cha.

Maybe not.
    The Prog Corner

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Forgive me for reposting my nonsense from a couple of years ago, but:

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/20813487.jpg
    http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/20813642.jpg
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 10-30-2014 at 08:17 PM.