Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Prog/Rock acoustic player?

I was surprised it took a page and a half before Fripp is mentioned! His acoustic playing on Lizard should be mandatory listening for any guitarist who wants to approach his parts as a composition within a composition.

Michael Chapman
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Paul O' Dette and/or Ronn McFarlane ]

Big fan of Paul O'Dette.I have several of his cds.I've only heard bits and pieces from Ron McFarlane...good player.Two more lutenists par excellance are Jakob Lindberg and Hopkinson Smith.All are masters of Renaissance and Baroque works for the lute.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Hackett and Howe, tossup.

Thumbs up for Michael Hedges. I do love Ian's acoustic work but he's no virtuoso. Page was sloppy but his acoustic playing was always compelling. Hackett is a god.

No doubt. But those Nashville pickers and serious classical players wouldn't hold a candle to these guys in the rock world, either.
    I recall that at one of the early Farm Aid shows EVH joined Sammy Hagar for a couple songs, really letting loose on one of them. One of the country pickers backstage told Willie Nelson, "I saw that little fucker and it just made me want to give up playing."
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Big fan of Paul O'Dette.I have several of his cds.I've only heard bits and pieces from Ron McFarlane...good player.Two more lutenists par excellance are Jakob Lindberg and Hopkinson Smith.All are masters of Renaissance and Baroque works for the lute.
    You kick ass Walt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Thumbs up for Michael Hedges. I do love Ian's acoustic work but he's no virtuoso. Page was sloppy but his acoustic playing was always compelling. Hackett is a god.

I recall that at one of the early Farm Aid shows EVH joined Sammy Hagar for a couple songs, really letting loose on one of them. One of the country pickers backstage told Willie Nelson, "I saw that little fucker and it just made me want to give up playing."
    Somehow, I doubt Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed or Roy Clark (among others) would have been too intimidated by Eddie, who BTW, would blow most rock guitarists off the stage. There are great musicians in all genres.

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    Somehow, I doubt Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed or Roy Clark (among others) would have been too intimidated by Eddie, who BTW, would blow most rock guitarists off the stage. There are great musicians in all genres.
    I would guess that if such a thing was said it was in the context of what he was doing in his signature style, not anything to do with theirs.

Al Di Meola
    Steve Hackett
    Steve Howe
    Anthony Philips
    Ian Anderson
    Ralph Towner( though he never played 'rock')
    Greg Lake

[QUOTE=Jerjo;327199]Thumbs up for Michael Hedges. I do love Ian's acoustic work but he's no virtuoso. Page was sloppy but his acoustic playing was always compelling. Hackett is a god.

Michael Hedges was unorthodox on acoustic in the same way that Hendrix was unorthodox on electric. Michael Hedges usage of harmonics and Jazz sounding chords in open tunings were unique. Chords normally played in Jazz were typically inverted. Michael Hedges opened up those chord voicings creating a dimension in sound like a piano. There are (of course), other acoustic players who have experimented with this unorthodox type of concept, but Michael Hedges grabbed hold of something else within this approach that didn't seem to surface with most acoustic players. He was aggressive and dynamically melodic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Steve Morse. If you've never seen his classical guitar interludes live, well, let's just say they are a revelation.
    J
    Great player, but the times I heard him live, he had a lousy sounding amplified nylon string guitar. He uses the same sound in the studio.
    I'd like to hear Steve playing a standard classical guitar into a microphone, so I can hear the sound of the instrument, and not the pick-up.

At least its the biggest acoustic guitar:

Martin Quittenton

Although much of his work isnt "prog" as such, I would go for Gordon Giltrap--and not just because hes on our label--he is a totally amazing acoustic player!

Does Giltrap have any non-vocal albums?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The most spell binding solo acoustic performance I ever saw was by Phil Keaggy during a short intermission at a Glass Harp concert. Might have been down to mind expansion, but the audience encored him back thrice before the band could come back on stage

[QUOTE=Enid;327600]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

Michael Hedges was unorthodox on acoustic in the same way that Hendrix was unorthodox on electric. Michael Hedges usage of harmonics and Jazz sounding chords in open tunings were unique. Chords normally played in Jazz were typically inverted. Michael Hedges opened up those chord voicings creating a dimension in sound like a piano. There are (of course), other acoustic players who have experimented with this unorthodox type of concept, but Michael Hedges grabbed hold of something else within this approach that didn't seem to surface with most acoustic players. He was aggressive and dynamically melodic.
    Hedges has got them all beat imo.

Not only an innovative guitarist but a serious composer as well.

Very orchestral stuff for a wood box with six strings.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Does Giltrap have any non-vocal albums?
    The three albums I have by him have a sum total of one vocal track (“Weary Eyes,” off of 1978’s Fear of the Dark). That is, so long as you don’t count his cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “Oh Well,” which is included as a bonus track on two CDs I own by him!

Perilous Journey from 1977 is, for me, his classic release. His playing and composing mated to Rod Edwards keyboards, the orchestrations and the Edwards-Hand production all clicked on that album. Of the “Electric Record Company” trilogy which was his commercial (and, arguably, creative) peak, it’s easily the best. I need more time for Visionary to sink in, but I’ll give it a hesitant thumbs-up, too. Fear of the Dark never really clicked with me for whatever reason, apart from maybe “Fast Approaching” (the title tune was another hit for him, though not nearly as big as “Heartsong”).

Haven’t heard enough of Peacock Party or Airwaves to comment. Supposedly, his other albums aren’t really of interest from a progressive standpoint.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Ian Anderson, just ahead of Hackett, Howe, Phillips & Giltrap. The term "best" is very subjective of course, but for me these guys are outstanding players with distinctive styles, and also wonderful writers of acoustic guitar music. To me, that makes them stand out.