Thread: Watch Johnny Winter's last studio performance

Watch Johnny Winter's last studio performance

On Feb. 4, 2013, Johnny Winter recorded a version of Death Letter. Though the blues guitarist was better known for his work with the electric guitar, he picked up an acoustic to record the Son House classic.

It turned out to be his final recording. Winter died near Zurich, Switzerland, July 16, 2014. He was 70.

The recording of Death Letter appeared on Winter's posthumously released Step Back, which came out in September. Now his label, Megaforce Records, has released a video of that last recording.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Thank you for sharing that. With Jack Bruce's recent death, it only becomes more poignant.

I remember seeing both 40 years ago, when they were at the peak of their power. Young, strong and vibrant (even if they were strung out)...

Growing old sucks...

I love the shots of him with the guitar - they really bring out his intimacy with the instrument.

One of the great things about blues: age doesn't detract from performance: it lends an edge.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I was pleasantly surprised how well he was playing. He had some serious ups and downs over the last 20 years and I've followed him closely. He should have played more of that live, but never played acoustic on stage. He was too smart to take that National on the road with him, anyway.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

That was very nice - thanks for posting !!!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing that, Ron. Put a guitar in Johnny's hands, and it instantly became part of him.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'd just echo, thanks for sharing.

Just heartbreakingly lovely. Johnny and Jack Bruce gone. The Allman Brothers, no more. The light is growing dim.

The previous posters have all summed it up nicely and accurately. Rather than repeat, I'll just say I really enjoyed that clip and feel the need to pull some JW discs out for a listen.

Not many posts here. I wonder if this is a microcosm of the general public's awareness of this blues giant? I suppose that Johnny's relatively long life retarded his legacy, at least in the minds of casual music fans. The legacies of Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan appear far stronger, but I suppose that goes with the uncannily shrewd legacy move of untimely death, and the persistent thought of "what might have been..."

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    Not many posts here. I wonder if this is a microcosm of the general public's awareness of this blues giant?
    More likely that proggaz aren't overly-ennamored of the blues.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    More likely that proggaz aren't overly-ennamored of the blues.
    Yet, the Royal Baby thread went how many pages?