Thread: Does anyone know for sure?

Does anyone know for sure?

Do bands make the most money per download from Amazon or iTunes?

I don't know for sure, but according to Tunecore iTunes would pay $0.70 per $0.99 song and $7.00 per $9.99 album downloaded. http://www.tunecore.com/index/sell_your_music_on_itunes

Amazon isn't as clear. They have various tiers for pricing and that will affect what you make, but no details are given. http://www.tunecore.com/index/sell_your_music_on_amazon

Personally, I'm surprised iTunes is so high, I honestly thought it was lower. I'm skeptical, but may look into it more. We're at a point where we're looking at some alternatives like CDBaby and what-not for digital distribution (physical as well). I also think $9.99 for an mp3 album is crazy, I'd never pay that. I charge $6.00 for .wav and .mp3 downloads of our album from our site. But of that, we keep basically 100%.

I promised the guys I'd look into all this, but I've been super busy. I may crack into it this weekend and if I do I'll let you know what I find out.

Bill

Our latest album pays us (after CD Baby takes a cut) $6.37 at iTunes US and $5.91 at Amazon US.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Our latest album pays us (after CD Baby takes a cut) $6.37 at iTunes US and $5.91 at Amazon US.
    Download? That's probably more than you'd make with physical product!

Out of a 10 song album selling for $10 roughly, yes, we make $6.37/$5.91 as above. A CD is sold by our label (and others) for $12.99 plus shipping and we make quite a bit more than $6.37/$5.91 on that but I guess if you figure in the manufacturing costs, then you're a bit closer. The main thing to remember is both a download and a CD have the same overhead of the recording, mixing and mastering costs.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    The main thing to remember is both a download and a CD have the same overhead of the recording, mixing and mastering costs.
    Certainly. But duplication costs quickly make a HUGE difference with any quantity.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Personally, I'm surprised iTunes is so high, I honestly thought it was lower. I'm skeptical, but may look into it more. We're at a point where we're looking at some alternatives like CDBaby and what-not for digital distribution (physical as well). I also think $9.99 for an mp3 album is crazy, I'd never pay that. I charge $6.00 for .wav and .mp3 downloads of our album from our site. But of that, we keep basically 100%.

I promised the guys I'd look into all this, but I've been super busy. I may crack into it this weekend and if I do I'll let you know what I find out.

Bill
    Have you looked at http://bandcamp.com/ ? I buy quite a bit from there and it seems to be a good model for bands for CD's and downloads.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Bandcamp basically takes 10% (they take 100% of every 10th download sold) so bands keep a lot more per download there than at any of the "better known" sites. Although, Bandcamp must pay you via PayPal and PayPal takes a cut so...Still all in all Bandcamp takes the least. You get a lot less back from Amazon and iTunes because your "middle man"/aggragator (CD Baby/TuneCore/Orchard) takes a cut too.

I prefer to buy music at bandcamp but I don't like that they take 100% of every 10th dl. I have a fantasy of running a site like bandcamp and taking a dollar or 1.50 from each dl. I have no idea how to put together a site like that.