Thread: PFM Paper Charms BBC 74-76

PFM Paper Charms BBC 74-76

I had a 4 hour ride the other morning so I downloaded the latest PFM from Amazon to take along on it

I've had several different copies of these shows over the years but was glad I did

I have what I thought was a copy of the BBC transcript disc of the 76 show, (Boot was called Live in Concert), but I think this sounds better amd is definitely from a different mix

The last copy I had of the 75 BBC show was taken from a Sirrius broadcast, so pretty compressed sounding - what I'd had prior wasn't perfect so this disc is great to have

On the 76 gig it's interesting that Pete Drummonds mid song intro to Chocolate Kings is here, but wasn't on the boots I'd heard previously, apparently it was edited out on the broadcast discs

Also the beginning of his spoken intro to open the show, (which is very similar to his intro the year before), does not appear on this official release

Being the completest I actually converted this to .wav, cut the intro from the boot and pasted them together before saving as the final MP-3

Seamless if I do say so myself

These are two very worthwhile discs that show the Marconi Bakery at their improvisational best

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    I had a 4 hour ride the other morning so I downloaded the latest PFM from Amazon to take along on it

I've had several different copies of these shows over the years but was glad I did

I have what I thought was a copy of the BBC transcript disc of the 76 show, (Boot was called Live in Concert), but I think this sounds better amd is definitely from a different mix

The last copy I had of the 75 BBC show was taken from a Sirrius broadcast, so pretty compressed sounding - what I'd had prior wasn't perfect so this disc is great to have

On the 76 gig it's interesting that Pete Drummonds mid song intro to Chocolate Kings is here, but wasn't on the boots I'd heard previously, apparently it was edited out on the broadcast discs

Also the beginning of his spoken intro to open the show, (which is very similar to his intro the year before), does not appear on this official release

Being the completest I actually converted this to .wav, cut the intro from the boot and pasted them together before saving as the final MP-3

Seamless if I do say so myself

These are two very worthwhile discs that show the Marconi Bakery at their improvisational best

BG
    This sounds wonderful and a great price as well.. Amazon doesn't show the set list.. any chance you could post?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    This sounds wonderful and a great price as well.. Amazon doesn't show the set list.. any chance you could post?
    Sure

DISC ONE - CD

BBC RADIO ONE "IN CONCERT”
    21ST MAY 1975

1. CELEBRATION
    2. FOUR HOLES IN THE GROUND
    3. DOVE…QUANDO
    4. MR. NINE ‘TILL FIVE
    5. ALTA LOMA FIVE ‘TILL NINE
    INCLUDING P.F.M.’S ARRANGEMENT OF ROSSINI’S WILLIAM TELL OVERTURE
    6. LA CARROZZA DI HANS

DISC TWO- CD

15TH APRIL 1976

1. PAPER CHARMS
    2. OUT OF THE ROUNDABOUT
    3. FOUR HOLES IN THE GROUND
    4. DOVE…QUANDO
    5. ALTA LOMA 5 ‘TILL 9
    6. CHOCOLATE KINGS
    7. ALTA LOMA FIVE ‘TILL NINE (REPRISE) INCLUDING P.F.M.’S ARRANGEMENT OF ROSSINI’S
    8. WILLIAM TELL OVERTURE
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Thanks.. I just clicked onto the mp3 tab and saw this info... Doesn't seem that much different from Live Cook set list..
    Is the quality equal or better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Sure

DISC ONE - CD

21ST MAY 1975

1. CELEBRATION
    2. FOUR HOLES IN THE GROUND
    3. DOVE…QUANDO
    4. MR. NINE ‘TILL FIVE
    5. ALTA LOMA FIVE ‘TILL NINE
    INCLUDING P.F.M.’S ARRANGEMENT OF ROSSINI’S WILLIAM TELL OVERTURE
    6. LA CARROZZA DI HANS

DISC TWO- CD

15TH APRIL 1976

1. PAPER CHARMS
    2. OUT OF THE ROUNDABOUT
    3. FOUR HOLES IN THE GROUND
    4. DOVE…QUANDO
    5. ALTA LOMA 5 ‘TILL 9
    6. CHOCOLATE KINGS
    7. ALTA LOMA FIVE ‘TILL NINE (REPRISE) INCLUDING P.F.M.’S ARRANGEMENT OF ROSSINI’S
    8. WILLIAM TELL OVERTURE

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Thanks.. I just clicked onto the mp3 tab and saw this info... Doesn't seem that much different from Live Cook set list..
    Is the quality equal or better?

Sound quality is actually better, these were for BBC broadcast

The versions of the common songs on all 3 are different enough to warrant having, and the BBC 76 is markedly different as it is the Chocolate Kings tour with Lanzetti

BG

The other benefit (for those going for the physical product) is the DVD that includes the Old Grey Whistle Test performances. Very nice vids of the band in their prime, tearing it up quite well.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Very cool. Thanks guys!

Must add this one to the list.

2 thumbs up and 5 stars. Absolutely worth owning if you're a PFM fan and a superb companion piece to the expanded "Cook" and the bonus disc on the expanded "Chocolate Kings".
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

PFM will release 5 live albums which are Performances of complete studio albums (till march 2015).

They start next week with the Performance of L'Isola di Niente.
    (the first three Albums in reverse order than the two english ones)

Sunday morning, freshly brewed coffee, an extra hour of sleep last night... and now disc 2 of this box. Beautiful!

Very nice job from Esoteric on this box, as with the expanded Cook box mentioned earlier. Well worth owning for any PFM fan. As for Un' Isola mentioned above, that's got its own thread. I have it on order from Italy and can't wait to hear it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It's quite good quality

I like hearing the context of he Italian names from the announcer/narrator

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    When he's announcing the band at the beginning of the first disk, what does the announcer mean with that reference to Joe Mafia? Kind of weird.

Is the audio on the DVD actually audio from those sessions, or is it from different sources? Seemed like different sources to me.