Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prog Albums You Bought Only Because of the Cover

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    ^^Tantra looks like a buncha psych mushrooms on that baby.
    The guitarist (Manuel Cardoso, I believe?) was heavily into transcendental meditation etc. Great, great album - among the best 5-or-so from Portugal.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    -Thought Patto / 1st w/ the teeth at the top of window was cool...love the record and can in no way give a remotely objective assessment of it.
    Damn fine record.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Attachment 4424
    One more... there probably were clues on the back that helped me buy this one. Anyway, if you dig Picchio dal Pozzo and FZ Waka Jawaka or Grand Wazoo, this is a $%#@!!*** superlative record!!
    Both this and Botte da Orbi are ridiculously awesome. Bummer that it took some compilers etc. forever to realize that RPI was more than fragmented start/stop riffing with vibrato vox and squirming synth-solos or operatic bombast donning quasi-orchestral interludes.

Colombo is quite renowned as a record producer and composer of commercial jingles nowadays.

Also Nektar's "Remember The Future"..Caught my eye big time @ the local Sam Goody in the mall..Guess that was my first brush with PROG.."I fought the PROG and PROG won!!"
    Last edited by beano; 10-24-2014 at 08:37 AM.

Suspended
    I have never bought an album only because of the cover, and I never will.

In my early teens - I had a suspicion that the music was good, but:

Soft Machine: six
    Mothers: We are only in it for the money

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Both this and Botte da Orbi are ridiculously awesome. Bummer that it took some compilers etc. forever to realize that RPI was more than fragmented start/stop riffing with vibrato vox and squirming synth-solos or operatic bombast donning quasi-orchestral interludes.

Colombo is quite renowned as a record producer and composer of commercial jingles nowadays.
    Both Colombo Albums are absolutely wonderfull.

"Sfogatevi Bestie" had a very recent mid price rerelease. So get it now before it's gone again.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Freak Out--FZ & Mothers, course he had a lot of great one.
    That and "Meet The Beatles" were the first albums I bought. The Beatles one was because I had become infected by Beatlemania after seeing them on the Ed Sullivan show. I think I initially bought the Mothers album for the cover. Then again, I was 13 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Yes - Relayer (probably my fave Roger Dean painting)
    I saw the original painting in a rock-related art/photography gallery/store in San Francisco about 12 years ago. You could actually buy it... if you were rich. Don't ask me how much; I have no memory of the asking price, but as you might imagine, it wasn't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    There was an experimental indie kind of band in the nineties called Space Needle who put out an album called "Moray Eels eat the Space Needle." I think I bought that because it had a cover done by Roger Dean. I was a bit disappointed even though there were a couple of ok tracks on it.
    Me too. I bought it while I was visiting the USA for NEARfest 2000.

The first LP I can think of: Jon Anderson's "Olias Of Sunhillow". Although I like the music very much, the cover did it for me.

I couldn't say that I ever bought an album just because (and only because) of its cover

When a teen (and not having an older brother figure to rely on), I tended to pick (not so blindingly) my albums along a few criterias: line-ups and instruments played, track names and lengths, artworks

I'd say that Crime Of The Century's stunning artwork certainly played 99% of my decision to buy it, but if the music inside had not struck me so hard, or had it been a Status Quo or Dusty Springfield album, it would've been cleared very quickly from my shelves.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    ^^ Quite probably the first time i have seen Status Quo and Dusty Springfield mentioned in the same sentence.

I liked Dusty. Can't stand more that a couple of minutes of Quo.

Im really surprised that there is no mention of Ohio Players anywhere in this thread

edit: Oh, PROG albums........... <forehead smack>
    Last edited by klothos; 10-25-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Moonmadness
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Nothing. For cover reason I never bought any.

Suspended
    Actually I realise I told a filthy lie. There is one "prog" album I bought because of the cover - or rather, the covers. One cover in particular.

The album: "Cover Version" by Steven Wilson. Mainly because I could not be without his cover of the Momus song The Guitar Lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Actually I realise I told a filthy lie. There is one "prog" album I bought because of the cover - or rather, the covers. One cover in particular.

The album: "Cover Version" by Steven Wilson. Mainly because I could not be without his cover of the Momus song The Guitar Lesson.
    I that case I would go for "Undercover" (10T Records), not only for Man On Fire's "Visions Of China" from Japan, but also for Fluttr Effect doing Duran Duran's "The Chauffer".
    Plus I've collected many albums with covers of Nick Drake-songs.

Not for the cover, but for the instrumentation, a large selection of keyboards and some violins: Earthstar - French skyline
    What a disapointment.

Starcastle

I saw the cover jacket for Merlin by Halloween and bought it immediately. This is vocals along a cluster of soundscapes fused with Classical Rock. Musically it has impressed me on several occasions I'm convinced it's the way in which the various "sections" of the music transcend into each other. The style of the composition is theatre based. It's a little difficult to notice it at first because another personality to the album is masking it and until the album grows on you..you may not.

I've bought more albums because of musicians I recognize vs. the cover art.. but you gotta admit cover art can be compelling at times...

Suspended
    I used to often see the LP "Last Stage For Silverworld" by Kenny Young whil browsing at my favourite record shop, and I must admit I was often tempted to buy it on te strength of the cover and the liner notes. I guess I expected it to sound something like Moody Blues meets hawkwind.

Many years late I heard snippets from the album, and I'm glad I didn't succumb. The music really is pretty ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Starcastle
    Actually, that one totally repelled me for ages... I couldn't help but thinlking of Walt Disney and expected to hear Donald Duck vocals on it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Relayer for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I've bought more albums because of musicians I recognize vs. the cover art.. but you gotta admit cover art can be compelling at times...
    Yeah, especially LP's. Nowadays with those sealed CD's you often can't tell who's playing on it, which is a shame actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Starcastle
    Actually I think I bought the first Starcastle album for the cover as well.

And I forgot that I bought the first Willowglass album from the cover too. Lee Gaskins (the artist) is the man!