Thread: Engineers (the band)

Suspended

Engineers (the band)

They are one of the bands in the Kscope label stable. Hence, they feature from time to time on the Kscope Podcast.

In the past my reaction has been "That's OK, nothing special." However I am very impressed with some of what I have heard from their latest album, "Always Returning", especially a song called "Fight or Flight", which sounds to me like, of all people, classic era Moody Blues. The song would not sound at all out of place on Seventh Sojourn or Long Distance Voyager.

Anyone here have info to share about the band?

I have their album Three Fact Fader and it's something I reach for when I want some chewy analog post-rock/prog. There's a big shoegazer and dreampop element in Engineers' sound, that latter part providing the connection back to The Moodies that you're hearing. But they've also delved into some more upbeat and energetic songs as well, and it's the balance between the two that makes them so interesting to me.

They've gone through some personnel changes over the last couple of albums, and the main guy -- Mark Peters -- seems to be content working at a fairly leisurely pace out of his home studio. I wish they could stabilize a lineup and be a bit more active (they don't even have their own website). It really seems to be a solo project for Peters at this point. But yeah, nice stuff.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Really like one of their earlier albums, can't remember the title. SW made a cool remix of one of their songs.