Thread: FEATURED CD - Ihsahn : angL

FEATURED CD - Ihsahn : angL

Per SoT Dude:
    angL is the second solo album from former Emperor singer/guitarist Ihsahn, following the artistic success of The Adversary from a few years back. Though many references to the classic Emperor sound abound throughout angL, don't expect a pummeling black metal affair here, instead Ihsahn masterfully weaves together plenty of styles and textures that utilize elements of thrash, gothic metal, death & black metal, progressive metal, and classic 80's metal. Consistently melodic yet heavier than the debut, angL also sees the rhythm section of former Spiral Architect members Asgeir Mickelson (drums, also current Borknagar member) and Lars Norberg (bass) playing alongside Ihsahn, who handles guitars, bass, keyboards, and vocals.

The opening stab "Misanthrope" is one of the few Emperor-ish pieces on the CD, a symphonic black metal number with tons of keys and ripping guitars, Ihsahn's garbled wail leading the charge through five minutes of metal bliss. Superstar guest Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth lends lead vocals on the awesome "Unhealer", a rumbling melodic death metal number with some of Akerfeldt's trademark growls and clean singing that makes this track one of the CD's highlights. Gothic metal fans will love "Emancipation", while "Malediction" is another piece that will please fans of Emperor and Dimmu Borgir, Mickelson's raging blast beats fueling the barrage of sinewy lead guitar lines and orchestral keyboards. Ihsahn lays down plenty of intricate guitar melodies on the dark and gothic "Alchemist", and on "Elevator" the band creates a surging, almost doomy black metal vibe, led by crunchy riffs, lots of atmosphere, and Ihsahn's tortured vocals. The killer finale "Monolith" is a throwback to Prometheus and IX Equilibrium era Emperor, complete with pummeling rhythms, surging guitar work, loads of keys, and Ihsahn's demonic vocal attack, yet extremely melodic and progressive. If you like plenty of variety in your metal, this song has it all- the middle section featuring lilting guitar lines and clean vocals, is just gorgeous.

Better produced and more dynamic than the strong The Adversary, this latest from Ihsahn is nothing short of a triumph on all levels. While many loyal Emperor fans I'm sure have spent plenty of time lamenting the fact that the legendary black metal band might forever be gone and buried, Ihsahn is no doubt carrying the torch at this point. Let's hope he takes his rhythm team, adds a keyboard player and perhaps second guitarist, and takes this act on the road so we can all hear these powerhouse songs in a live setting.

Reviewer: Pete Pardo
    Score: 4.5 Stars
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=6364

Regards,

Duncan

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I did not think I would like his solo work, but he actually is fantastic.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

IMHO Ihsahn should be mentioned in the same sentences as Mikel Ackerfeldt and Steven Wilson for his work advancing progressive music.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    IMHO Ihsahn should be mentioned in the same sentences as Mikel Ackerfeldt and Steven Wilson for his work advancing progressive music.

I do not have this one, but I have his most recent pair and they are extremely good, very progressive heavy works.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Good choice. I think this is a really good album and his solo material
    continues to get stronger for me with each consecutive album.

Ihsahn is pretty great.

I saw Ihsahn at ProgPower a couple years back, but just couldn't get into him. Maybe it would have helped if he sang with cleaner vocals like on these samples, but the songs still aren't blowing me away. To be honest, I'd rather listen to his backing band, Leprous.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Yeah, well I remember when he was asked by some major international mag about whom made for the most important progressive artist and the guy answered Iron Maiden. I guess we can't all agree on everything.

But he's good at what he does, there I'll concur.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yeah, well I remember when he was asked by some major international mag about whom made for the most important progressive artist and the guy answered Iron Maiden.
    That says a lot about Ihsahn IMO: like his infernal hero, he's got a lot of ambition and he talks a good game, but when it comes down to it he just doesn't have much class or staying power. He makes an impressive sound, but its pretty trite at heart - simplistic and tame.

Next to something like Deafheaven's Sunbather or Agalloch's Marrow of the Spirit I don't think Ihsahn is anything more than a regressive metaller.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    That says a lot about Ihsahn IMO: like his infernal hero, he's got a lot of ambition and he talks a good game, but when it comes down to it he just doesn't have much class or staying power. He makes an impressive sound, but its pretty trite at heart - simplistic and tame.

Next to something like Deafheaven's Sunbather or Agalloch's Marrow of the Spirit I don't think Ihsahn is anything more than a regressive metaller.
    Completely disagree. And while I love both Sunbather and Marrow the Spirit, neither broke new ground musically, but rather were near perfect renditions of Atmospheric Black Metal.

Ihsahn, through his solo works, work with Peccatum, Star of Ash, and influence on Leprous, continually pushes the boundaries of sound and instrumentation traditionally associated with metal. His reference to Iron Maiden, which at the time of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son 1988 is without context, but not completely irrelevant. That release is an example of early Progressive Metal, along with releases from Fates Warning, Queensryche, and others of the mid/late 1980's.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Suspended
    Never heard Ihashn or Emperor before, but sounds quite similar to Opeth. Like Opeth, I think he sounds quite good until he starts the growls.

As someone who has just recently started getting into black metal (and related subgenres), I'll have to check this out. Thanks!
    flute juice