Thread: RIP Fashion Icon Oscar De La Renta

RIP Fashion Icon Oscar De La Renta

NEW YORK --
    ABC News has confirmed through a family member that legendary fashion designer Oscar De La Renta has passed away.
    He was 82. He was diagnosed with cancer in 2006. Most recently he designed Amal Clooney's wedding dress.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Are my clothes worth more money now.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    ...only to the homeless...
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

No, the price of Levi's remains the same.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Sorry for the guy's family, but speaking as someone who normally wears $13 Costco jeans and $3 T-shirts from the salvage store, you can imagine the impact the guy's had on me. Oh, wait. The one I have on now was $4. And I just checked and Costco raised the price another buck.

The Ray Rice shirt? No.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Noooooooooooo!!!!!

I don't really care...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    When I was twixt high school and the military I worked for several months at a clothing manufacturer called Wormser Inc, a factory that made its money back in the '70s, having bid on the clothing rights for a little known and little cared for up coming sci-fi movie that most major manufacturing companies didn't think very highly of (Star Wars) and by the '80s was making clothing items for major stores all over the US and Canada, as well "high-end" fashion sports wear for Calvin Klein and Oscar De LaRenta as well as a few others I forget - all for just above minimum wage of course (in Tennessee that is). Over-run product not sold as Oscar De La Renta would be labeled under one of many other brands (Sears, Penny's, Mervins etc) and whatever didn't get bought out by those guys were sold on the cheap in factory outlet stores (every factory had one). So yes indeed, you are only buying a name, not quality, when you shop high profile stores and brands.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The Ray Rice shirt? No.
    But it's an Oscar De La Renta

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Sorry for the guy's family, but speaking as someone who normally wears $13 Costco jeans and $3 T-shirts from the salvage store, you can imagine the impact the guy's had on me. Oh, wait. The one I have on now was $4. And I just checked and Costco raised the price another buck.
    I get $2 Polo and Calvin Klein jeans at the Goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    When I was twixt high school and the military I worked for several months at a clothing manufacturer called Wormser Inc, a factory that made its money back in the '70s, having bid on the clothing rights for a little known and little cared for up coming sci-fi movie that most major manufacturing companies didn't think very highly of (Star Wars) and by the '80s was making clothing items for major stores all over the US and Canada, as well "high-end" fashion sports wear for Calvin Klein and Oscar De LaRenta as well as a few others I forget - all for just above minimum wage of course (in Tennessee that is). Over-run product not sold as Oscar De La Renta would be labeled under one of many other brands (Sears, Penny's, Mervins etc) and whatever didn't get bought out by those guys were sold on the cheap in factory outlet stores (every factory had one). So yes indeed, you are only buying a name, not quality, when you shop high profile stores and brands.
    Wormser! Sexy!

When I saw the name in the title I thought he was a boxer, but that's Oscar de la Hoya... If he didn't design any heavy metal T-shirts or work with flannel, there's a chance I've never worn any of his fashions, but RIP never the same...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I get $2 Polo and Calvin Klein jeans at the Goodwill.
    My admittedly less inexpensive clothes are brand new.

De La Renta is Spanish for "of the Renta."