Thread: Who's On First (Rock n Roll)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Who's On First (Rock n Roll)

PBS.jpg

Love this
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I always thought someone should do something like this. Brilliant!

That was pretty slick. Wish I were that clever.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

That's awesome. Love Pearls Before Swine.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sweet !....and Steve Howe/YES gets a mention !

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That's awesome. Love Pearls Before Swine.
    FYI, Pearls Before Swine was also the name of a folky psychedelic band from the late sixties(just in case you didn't know).

I once had a conversation with my dad (about the unhippest man on the planet) that hinged on me mentioning Yes to him, and he didn't realize that was a name of a band. I think I had gotten a bootleg copy of the QPR video, and he asked who the band was, and I said "Yes", and he looked at me like he didn't understand the answer. My 41 year old self probably would assume the Bud Abbott role and see how long it takes him to figure it out, but my 21 year old self instead pre-empted the routine and said "The name of the band is Yes" almost immediately.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    We used to try to come up with a routine like this in the late '70s. We stuck only with the names of bands, though.
    In addition to the Who & Yes, The Band and the Guess Who were in there, and others that I can't recall.

Apparently we weren't alone.

The Guess Who, The Who and YES would be the obvious ones to build a skit around. I like how the one posted incorporated other bands though like Traffic and the Rolling Stones by using band member's names.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The Guess Who, The Who and YES would be the obvious ones to build a skit around. I like how the one posted incorporated other bands though like Traffic and the Rolling Stones by using band member's names.
    The best part is that Winwood was identified as "Traffic's guitarist". This is true, he did play guitar in Traffic (and very well, too), but most people would identify Winwood as a vocalist or keyboardist, since those seem to be the roles most people associate with him. So kudos to the author for acknowledging Winwood's guitar playing skils!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I once had a conversation with my dad (about the unhippest man on the planet) that hinged on me mentioning Yes to him, and he didn't realize that was a name of a band. I think I had gotten a bootleg copy of the QPR video, and he asked who the band was, and I said "Yes", and he looked at me like he didn't understand the answer. My 41 year old self probably would assume the Bud Abbott role and see how long it takes him to figure it out, but my 21 year old self instead pre-empted the routine and said "The name of the band is Yes" almost immediately.
    I think I just mentioned this in another thread on here about when I saw the Musical Box and was talking to a guy before or after the show(I can't remember which). Anyway, I assumed that because he was a fan of early Genesis he would know what prog is. So after using the p word he asked if I was talking about the capital of Czech republic. I was pretty surprised he didn't know that term(this was around 2004 I think). I had to try to explain it to him but he gave me a blank look and didn't seem to be interested. I guess to him PG era Genesis were just some weird rock n roll band.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    We used to try to come up with a routine like this in the late '70s. We stuck only with the names of bands, though.
    In addition to the Who & Yes, The Band and the Guess Who were in there, and others that I can't recall.

Apparently we weren't alone.
    We did something similar with Yes and A-Ha.

"You went to the record store? What did you buy?"

"Yes"

"The name of the artist?"

"A-Ha"

And on and on. Hilarity ensues, etc.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally