Thread: To all PE'ers: A Call for Promotional Material

To all PE'ers: A Call for Promotional Material

Hi everyone,
    This is something that has been in the works for a while, but I thought I'd now let PE folks know, as I need your help.

Earlier this year I was approached by two British agents, representing two significant publishers with international distribution, looking for me to write (their words, not mine!) "The definitive history of progressive rock." A daunting challenge but one I've decided to accept.

I'm in the midst of preparing the pitch (we still have to go through the formal process), and am hoping that it will be picked up; the agent I went with has other ideas if the publisher he wants doesn't nibble...but he believes it will.

I've been working with some labels that have been kind enough to offer me material either gratis or for significantly reduced rates, as to allow for me to do this properly I need to have as broad perspective on what has gone on both historically and in the present, and around the world.

So, I am reaching out here to any bands and/or artists that feel I should be hearing their music, to see if they would be able to send me promotional copies of their music so I can become acquainted witch them, if I am not already (I'll let you know if I am and what I have). While I cannot guarantee anything, my hopes are to ensure that there's solid representation of today's progressive bands. If the book is accepted, then I will very likely wish to speak with you as well, at some point over what looks to be a 2-3 year project.

If you are interested in participating, please email me at jkelman.aaj@gmail.com and put "PROG BOOK: [INSERT ARTIST NAME]" in the subject.

I am looking for material before it's a go as, as I have been already doing, I am trying to immerse myself as best I can for the pitch, to be as clear as I can about what they scope will be.

I look forward to hearing from any who are interested in helping me out, with many thanks!!
    Best!
    John

Jon Neudorf
    Wow. Cool. Congratulations. I have been thinking about writing a book for some time (the last five years) with very similar subject matter.

Regards,
    Jon

Let me say that I am friggin' THRILLED that it's YOU doing this, John - as opposed to whoever Mr. 'define the past strictly on present terms' would otherwise be for hire. You already sport a lively pen and the background insight, so accumulative knowledge should come easy when available. Really anticipating this thing!

Godspeed!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That really is cool! Good luck on it.

I've had a few chapters written which touch upon my immersion into the British / European scene from 1967 to 72. I just can't seem to get any further right now, 'cos it's a tough job that will tell you that you CANNOT please all the people all the time etc. plus someone always gets forgotten, so just do YOUR best.
    I wish you all the very best links my friend, tho' it may take a bit longer than you think.

Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement. And Mick? Yeah, I know, but you have to start somewhere....
    Best!
    John

chalkpie
    Right on man - go for it! Make sure you mention PoiL.

chalkpie
    and Cardiacs.

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    Also glad to hear you're pursuing this. Give PE a plug while you're at it!

Wow. Sounds like a daunting task, but like Mr. Scissor has said, you're the man for the job, John. Congrats, and best of luck! I look forward to the results!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Thanks everyone...you can be sure i'll be using PE as a resource and may ask, perhaps, to interview some of you even. And PE is part of e reason that there is interest in a book like this.....that such a large community exists is no small accomplishment. And so PE will have to be a part of this story, in some way.

But it's a long-term project, 2-3 years minimum, and it isn't 100% a go yet...but the agent believes now's the time and we've a strong chance of making it happen. So I am feeling pretty confident about our chances of it being a go. I'll certainly post here if/when I get the definitive answer...hopefully by year's end.

So, again, I am looking to expand my knowledge of contemporary groups as much as possible so any of you who are PE'ers, know my work and want to be a potential part of this, please do reach our to me (thanks to those that have already). Again: jkelman.aaj@gmail.com.

BestM
    John

John you might have the answer to this, somewhat related...is the allaboutjazz forum down or is it just my perhaps infected computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    John you might have the answer to this, somewhat related...is the allaboutjazz forum down or is it just my perhaps infected computer?
    Yes it's down. But what's up, when it will be back or any other questions I cannot answer. I am no longer Managing Wditor, having stepped away from that over a year ago to refocus on writing ... And amongst other things, there is no way I could think of any book project while still doing that job.

I know Michael Ricci is considering options as it will cost him money to get it back and there are many things vying for it so where it stands in the priority list? Dunno, sorry,

Bump as I really need artists to see this....

And Magma!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

...and one more bump....

Bumpity bump....