Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Greenslade

Samurai album is awesome too. I spider I like also

^ As much as I might enjoy some of Greenslade's output, Web's I Spider and the Samurai release surpass all of it. But to be fair, so does Colosseum's Valentyne Suite. As such, perhaps the pairing of Lawson's semi-soul'ish and jazzy sensibilities with Greenslade's roots in both r&b and classical may actually have been more of a "deal made on paper" than one for the real. I suppose this is why I find the Greenslade records uneven overall, although what's solid is usually very good.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ As much as I might enjoy some of Greenslade's output, Web's I Spider and the Samurai release surpass all of it. But to be fair, so does Colosseum's Valentyne Suite. As such, perhaps the pairing of Lawson's semi-soul'ish and jazzy sensibilities with Greenslade's roots in both r&b and classical may actually have been more of a "deal made on paper" than one for the real. I suppose this is why I find the Greenslade records uneven overall, although what's solid is usually very good.
    indeed, Samurai and I Spider are way better than anything Greenslade has done... and anything Colosseum did in the 70's is better than Samurai/I Spider as well.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I disagree about the Samurai album—it’s clearly the last Web lineup, but I don’t think that the quality of the actual songs is all that hot—but I agree big time that I Spider is the best thing Dave Lawson was ever involved in. Definitely the best he’s ever sounded vocally. Although, like I said, the high points of Spyglass Guest might surpass some of the songs there. Maybe. “Concerto for Bedsprings” really is a monster.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ If you're thinking of Cactus Choir, I find that a sadly underrated album. Given it's all Dave Greenslade's work, there's a rather curious aura of either release or resignation - most obviously in "Time Takes My Time", a song which has been ridiculed due to Greenslade's admittedly somewhat poor singing voice but which contains some of his more personal lyrics and probably shouldn't have been sung by anybody else.
    Weird - I just found I have a downloaded version of this album that doesn't include "Time Takes My Time," but includes a bonus track, "Gangsters." Was that track removed from an official release or is this a ripper's revisioning?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I have a downloaded version of this album that doesn't include "Time Takes My Time," but includes a bonus track, "Gangsters." Was that track removed from an official release or is this a ripper's revisioning?
    The latter. "Gangsters" was the closest thing the 'slades ever got to single chart success, as it was made to be (and used as) title melody for a BBC police/detective series of the same name. Only a year-or-so later did Greenslade himself write lyrics to the instrumental tune, which he had Chris Farlowe record. It's this version which appears as replacement for "Time Takes My Time" on certain renditions of Cactus Choir, presumably because the latter was seen as dispensable due to Greenslade's voice.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    anything Colosseum did in the 70's is better than Samurai/I Spider as well.
    Not to me. Valentyne Suite and Live were the classic Colosseums. I Spider and Samurai were inkredipel more good than any later Colosseums and mushmush better dan Neal Marx.

Not to me. Valentyne Suite and Live were the classic Colosseums. I Spider and Samurai were inkredipel more good than any later Colosseums and mushmush better dan Neal Marx.
    I'll give you Daughter Of Time, which isn't all that good, but Those About To Die is great

Though I must say that I discovered Colosseum through the differently ordered Those About and The Grass Is Greener North Am releases.

As for their 90's and 00's studio albums, I'd rather they didn't exist at all (the Live releases are OK)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I've got nothing but love for the first Greenslade album, more so than Lawson's or Greenslade's other works, including Colosseum (admittedly a different monster) or iSpider or Samurai. Mind you, the bar is quite high all around, but there is just something about that first Greenslade album, an orgy of analog sounds.

If you didn't know, I did an extensive interview with Lawson in my book.

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post

If you didn't know, I did an extensive interview with Lawson in my book.
    I haven't read your book but from what I have read and what's been told by a person who knows him, he's a perfectionist. From the liners for the first album -

"I have to admit I've not listened to the first Greenslade album for ages," admits Dave Lawson. "But I do recall that, at the time, I wasn't satisfied with the way it turned out. But I should qualify this by adding I have never been satisfied with anything I've recorded. For instance, I have never liked singing in the studio wearing the headphones. I was always trying to do something that was vocally different; everybody else was doing a Ray Charles impression, and I could do that as well if I wanted. But that's not what I was aiming to do".

Maybe in the minority, but I have always loved Dave's vocals.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Maybe in the minority, but I have always loved Dave's vocals.
    I'm in the same minority! But then I like the vocals of Leo 'Geese Farts' Kottke, Tom 'Gravel in Bourbon' Waits, Capt. 'Howlin' Wolf wannabee' Beefheart, Roger 'Electric Goat' Chapman, Peter 'Drama King' Hammill, and Dave 'Impassioned Rasp' Cousins as well. I can even take Jon 'Soprano Altar Boy' Anderson in small doses.

^ Dave Lawson sounds very suitable for Greenslade.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    My original LP's never sounded that good to begin with...
    I can confirm that, at least in part. I had the German (Brain-label) pressing of the debut, and it sounds just as murky and muddy as the Warner CD. I always just assumed that’s how the original recording sounded.

The latter. "Gangsters" was the closest thing the 'slades ever got to single chart success, as it was made to be (and used as) title melody for a BBC police/detective series of the same name. Only a year-or-so later did Greenslade himself write lyrics to the instrumental tune, which he had Chris Farlowe record. It's this version which appears as replacement for "Time Takes My Time" on certain renditions of Cactus Choir, presumably because the latter was seen as dispensable due to Greenslade's voice.
    I had no idea that version ever had an official release until the bonuses on the remastered CD.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

^ It's a GREAT example of husky, smoky British 'TV noir-jazz', of which there were numerous instances during the 70s heyday of the Beeb's entertainment production schedule. It was marginally reminiscent of what Ray Russell, Ronnie Scott, Harry South, George Fenton and many others created, but its origins in a contemporary rock group was arguably a sign of the times.

Is the consensus that the new 2 CD of the Greenslade debut sounds far better than previous cd releases? I wasn't planning on buying but I just listened to it twice (the old 1990s mastering). And, yes, there is a lot of distortion in the keyboards and vocals along with the general murkiness. I love most of the album but even so a noticeable sonic upgrade would make this a more-listened-to disc.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Is the consensus that the new 2 CD of the Greenslade debut sounds far better than previous cd releases? I wasn't planning on buying but I just listened to it twice (the old 1990s mastering). And, yes, there is a lot of distortion in the keyboards and vocals along with the general murkiness. I love most of the album but even so a noticeable sonic upgrade would make this a more-listened-to disc.
    The second live disc of BBC recordings is worth the price of admission IMHO, the remastered CD is a bonus (yes, the murkiness has been noticeably reduced).

Coming Feb 22nd or March 1st depending on what continent you reside

CD 1
    TIME AND TIDE (RE-MASTERED)

1. ANIMAL FARM
    2. NEWSWORTH
    3. TIME
    4. TIDE
    5. CATALAN
    6. THE FLATTERY STAKES
    7. WALTZ FOR A FALLEN IDOL
    8. THE ASS’S EARS
    9. DOLDRUMS
    10. GANGSTERS

BONUS TRACKS

11. CATALAN (SINGLE EDIT -PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED ON CD)
    12. RUBBER FACE AND LONELY EYES (PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED ON CD)

CD 2
    THE SWEDISH RADIO CONCERT 1975
    (RECORDED 10TH MARCH 1975 AT STUDIO 4, SVR RADIOHUSET, STOCKHOLM BROADCAST 30TH APRIL 1975)

1. PILGRIMS PROGRESS (LIVE – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
    2. NEWSWORTH (LIVE – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
    3. FLATTERY STAKES (LIVE – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
    4. BEDSIDE MANNERS ARE EXTRA (LIVE – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
    5. JOIE DE VIVRE (LIVE – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
    6. WALTZ FOR A FALLEN IDOL (LIVE – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
    7. THE ASS’S EARS (LIVE – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
    8. DRUM FOLK (LIVE – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
    9. SPIRIT OF THE DANCE (LIVE – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)

Weird, I just finished listening to Cactus Choir a few minutes ago.

Cool news!

The Swedish Radio Concert that was played and recorded on March, 10, 1975 was issued by Purple Pyramid Records in 2013. The sound quality is very so-so..The concert is very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Weird, I just finished listening to Cactus Choir a few minutes ago.

Cool news!
    Cactus Choir is fantastic, really a 5th album of Greenslade the band, Tony Reeeves played on it. Simon Philips, and Steve Gould, who replaced Andy McCulloch and Dave Lawson, respectively, did great job each.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    The Swedish Radio Concert that was played and recorded on March, 10, 1975 was issued by Purple Pyramid Records in 2013. The sound quality is very so-so..The concert is very enjoyable.
    Yeah, they shouldn't be saying previously unreleased. Unless, they have a better tape source.

Cactus Choir is fantastic, really a 5th album of Greenslade the band, Tony Reeeves played on it. Simon Philips, and Steve Gould, who replaced Andy McCulloch and Dave Lawson, respectively, did great job each.
    Yeah! I really like Cactus Choir, especially "Time Takes My Time". I liked the first Greenslade record, but I think this one is even better.

I've had this from another source, probably bootleg, pre-2013, so I've not heard the PPR 2013 version.
    Hopefully Esoteric were able to source the broadcast masters from SVR.
    I've purchased the three other Esoteric double-disc releases, however I will wait to hear opinions on the Stockholm sound quality before spending my money.
    'Time And Tide' is not an attraction to buy on it's own, so the deal-breaker for me is the quality of the sceond disc.

For those who haven't bought the remasters of the first four Greenslade-albums (like me) the box-set Temple Songs - The Albums 1973-1975 may be interesting. It contains the same remasters, but not all the extra's. All CD's are housed in mini-LP covers and the booklet contains interviews with Lawson and Greenslade.

For those who like the live-shows the box-set Live Manners 1973-2001, which was released almost at the same time as Temple Songs, may be worth to check out.