Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supertramp - Crime of the Century 40th Ann. Re-issue

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Crime is quite possibly the crown jewel in Ken Scott's career as far as pure sound quality goes, to me anyway. I used it as a reference disc for years. I don't see any indication that they've remixed, remastered or otherwise f**ked with the sound for this reissue which is a good thing. If they want to release it with a live disk as a bonus and new packaging more power to 'em. But it better sound the same.
    Indeed, used to have this on mobile fidelity UHQR - single best sounding recording I have ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Not even for the live concert?
    I'd maybe entertain getting the live disc on its own, if they really go somewhere different with the songs. But my guess it they play them pretty close to the vest. That '79 BluRay of their Paris show is excellent, but not making me want to seek out any more live 'Tramp.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The prior release of the 1975 Hammersmith show, whether official or not, is superb. My favorite Tramp recording hands down. If Ken Scott really did mix it this time around, the potential exists for it to sound quite a bit better. That possibility is enough for me to take the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    The prior release of the 1975 Hammersmith show, whether official or not, is superb. My favorite Tramp recording hands down. If Ken Scott really did mix it this time around, the potential exists for it to sound quite a bit better. That possibility is enough for me to take the plunge.
    Is this a remix? I thought it was just a remaster...but would love to be wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    Thanks for the link. Nothing new to see here...

Ha! I would have loved to see Roger Hodgson on tour, he's coming to Switzerland in January. But the ticket prices are absolutely insane, for a halfway decent seat you pay CHF 149, which is around USD 155! I could affort this without problem, but I won't. It's just stupidly insane. For that price, I could buy the whole Supertramp discography on used vinyl!
    Insane, insane, insane.
    I saw him this past summer at a festival near Chicago for $15 , and personally I think any more than that would have been a rip-off. I saw him on his final Supertramp tour in 1983 and solo on his first outing around 2000, but sadly the band is not what it could be, and really it saddens me that he is so down on the Band when it was his decision to leave, then he wants to dictate what they should play, I really love him but he is not the only reason that Supertramp was great.
    The Path is Clear

I have the MOFI CD of this classic album. It is magnificent. I am interested in the concert. But I'd like to hear the package before spending for it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    It'd be interesting if they got Ken Scott to do a 5.1 surround mix (like Bowie did with Ziggy). This is still to this day one of the best sounding albums. One of my personal faves. Love Roger's current touring as well. Go Hodge!
    I'm with you and therefore this release is not interesting. The last CD release of this album was superb, no need for another CD. Same goes for the last releases of Crisis and Quietest Moments.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Is this a remix? I thought it was just a remaster...but would love to be wrong....
    The blurb on superdeluxeedition.com says the live disc was mixed by Ken Scott from the original tapes. Doesn't mean it's true, if course, but one can hope ...... I think the studio disc is not remixed, just remaster .... which seems unlikely to be able to make an imprvement, just an opportunity to screw it up.

Banned
    The blurb on superdeluxeedition.com says the live disc was mixed by Ken Scott from the original tapes. Doesn't mean it's true, if course, but one can hope ...... I think the studio disc is not remixed, just remaster .... which seems unlikely to be able to make an imprvement, just an opportunity to screw it up.
    Then it would be a remaster of a remaster. These corporations are pissing me off. If they want my bucks for something new then spend the bucks to make it unique, remix to 5.1, output to HD media.👿

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Then it would be a remaster of a remaster. These corporations are pissing me off. If they want my bucks for something new then spend the bucks to make it unique, remix to 5.1, output to HD media.��
    ...or spend the bucks promoting new, genuinely progressive acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Then it would be a remaster of a remaster. These corporations are pissing me off. If they want my bucks for something new then spend the bucks to make it unique, remix to 5.1, output to HD media.��
    Oh, I completely agree. Tramp is the only one of my favorite classic bands to have nothing, zilch, nada, small potatoes in surround.

I received my copy. Yes, the live album was mixed..,it had to be since it has not been release before (and assuming, a was the case, that the multitracks were available), but the album itself is just a remaster. A decent sounding one, but still just a remaster not a remix.

The most important question for me is whether the Ken Scott mixed Hammersmith show sounds better than the previously available version (Is Everybody Listening). Never was entirely clear to me whether the latter was 'official' or not - regardless, it sounded pretty good.

Just curious if anyone has purchased the blu-ray recently? I was going to buy it on Amazon but it says it is one disc... at 120 minutes! Now I know it was only a 45 minute LP. This should have two discs correct? The second being the Hammersmith 75 show? Any thoughts? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Just curious if anyone has purchased the blu-ray recently? I was going to buy it on Amazon but it says it is one disc... at 120 minutes! Now I know it was only a 45 minute LP. This should have two discs correct? The second being the Hammersmith 75 show? Any thoughts? Thanks
    I don't have the BR, but they have a much larger storage capacity than a regular CD or DVD-that was the point--so they can hold a lot more music. So makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I don't have the BR, but they have a much larger storage capacity than a regular CD or DVD-that was the point--so they can hold a lot more music. So makes sense to me.
    Agreed but that does not seem to be the case on this one. The original release in 2013/2014 states it is two discs... But Amazon is notorious for getting info wrong. Frankly my motivation for this is the second disc, the live 75 show.

Agreed but that does not seem to be the case on this one. The original release in 2013/2014 states it is two discs... But Amazon is notorious for getting info wrong. Frankly my motivation for this is the second disc, the live 75 show.
    Yeah, checked the Amazon listing and it does have a paucity of info. That's probably why I haven't snagged it yet. I noticed that the image of the back of the blu ray says nothing about live tracks nor lists anything but the original album. Don't see anything referencing the time of the disc though. And the way Amazon combines reviews for multiple different versions of products results in nothing but a clusterfock.

I'm happy with the 40th anniv 2 CD deluxe version with the live disc. Quite frankly I'd rather have a hybrid SACD of this than Blu ray because I could then play it in my car also.

Apparently i missed this thread the first time around

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Crime is quite possibly the crown jewel in Ken Scott's career as far as pure sound quality goes, to me anyway. I used it as a reference disc for years. I don't see any indication that they've remixed, remastered or otherwise f**ked with the sound for this reissue which is a good thing. If they want to release it with a live disk as a bonus and new packaging more power to 'em. But it better sound the same.
    Yeah, don't touch the original mix and mastering... it was perfect and is still one of my reference disc for checking out new hi-fi equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Interesting - most bands, no matter how popular, have their detractors. You get people who don't care for the Beatles, don't much like Genesis, think Pink Floyd were over-rated, etc. Yet it's rare to encounter anyone who claims not to like Supertramp.
    Mmmhhh!!!... My best buddy is finally warming to Supertramp (after some four decades), but I think he'll never be a nutcase, as he's simply not into these Hodgson wanker-ditties melodies

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'd maybe entertain getting the live disc on its own, if they really go somewhere different with the songs. But my guess it they play them pretty close to the vest. That '79 BluRay of their Paris show is excellent, but not making me want to seek out any more live 'Tramp.
    Yeah, I'm still kind of curious about their early days concert (until 75), but I caught them twice in the late-70's and early-80's and I got the Paris DVD, so I've +/- quenched my thirst for live stuff. Indeed they play their stuff so close to the studio hat it doesn't me much sense togo ape on their live products if you own the studio albums

Personally I'll pass (as I've done on the Legacy edition.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    The only 40th Anniversary remaster is written about here:
    http://somethingelsereviews.com/2014...rsary-edition/