Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question for Jethro Tull experts

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I met Ian in 2003 in Tarrytown - I should have asked him. Totally amazing guy - really really smart, with a lightening wit, also not afraid to leave some important conversation with some well-dressed woman in a business suit and shoot the shit with us two assholes talking about a frozen chicken truck that lost all contents on I-287 that night.
    Inimitable!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post

Both Didkovsky and myself are convinced that it's an grossly overdriven guitar, perhaps VSO'd a bit, with the mid-range radically boosted, and the treble and bass cut out.
    I think that settles the question.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

its sort of narrow nasal but isn't sharp or abusive
    unique tone
    I remember the long debate about the solo on kohntarkosz trying to determine if its a guitar or organ...

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    unique tone
    It´s a bass guitar on a fuzz blend with hammond on the verse .
    These days you could get this sound with zvex mammoth fuzz.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Scrotum Scissors would know all about distorted organs.
    I'd even say mutilated

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    I had a distorted organ once. A little penicillin and I was good to go.
    Uuuh... not sure we want to know....

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Sounds like it could be the same kind of distorted organ used by a lot of the Canterbury bands(especially Dave Stewart).

Yiiiiiikes, Reiss thought the same as I ...

I d better consult.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Chalkpie,

John Burns might know (but I doubt he will remember). I do know that he didn't particularly care working with IAN. Whatever feud those two had must have run deep for IAN to call him out on one of those BBC rock documentaries (decades later) for AQUALUNG sessions (Basing Street).

JK

I remember the long debate about the solo on kohntarkosz trying to determine if its a guitar or organ...
    Whoaaah! I always took for granted that this was a fuzzy Vox or Viscount or Crumar or Farfisa! One of my fave solospots in any "progressive" piece ever, btw...

In the 20th anniversary box book Barre says it's a guitar through a very cheap practice amp he had just bought.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by jkleban View Post
    Chalkpie,

John Burns might know (but I doubt he will remember). I do know that he didn't particularly care working with IAN. Whatever feud those two had must have run deep for IAN to call him out on one of those BBC rock documentaries (decades later) for AQUALUNG sessions (Basing Street).

JK
    Wasn't he the one that hated the direction that Tull took when Martin joined the band? He thought they should continue in the blues vein they started on This Was and took it out on Ian for changing the sound of the band. Hell, it was Ian's and the bands choice which direction they went not John Burns.

I do know that John Burns did go on and work with Mick Abrahams and Blodwyn Pig... I just couldn't believe that Ian would call anyone out from the Aqualung sessions being that was their breakthrough release that opened them up to the masses (and provided all of them real financial success).

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The second Clouds record, Watercolour Days from early 1970, is quite squarely a "proto-prog" entity with Hammond-heavy arrangements and some memorable melodies and melancholy atmospheres, but it's not a revolution.
    Watercolour Days must be their third, as it was released in 1971, in the year the Clouds disbanded. The second Clounds album, according to Wikipedia, is Up Above Their Heads - the weakest of all three albums, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Watercolour Days must be their third, as it was released in 1971, in the year the Clouds disbanded. The second Clounds album, according to Wikipedia, is Up Above Their Heads - the weakest of all three albums, IMO.
    Partly true, and Watercolour Days was indeed released in early '71, not '70. But the Up Above was - AFAIR - more of a compilation of tracks from Scrapbook, a single and even some earlier things by the precursor 1-2-3 - and issued in the US/Canada exclusively. BGO certainly didn't care about it when they released that two-on-one back in '97.

unique tone
    On my HiFi it definetely sounds like distorted organ.

The kohntorkosz discussion ended because I asked Brian Godding, and posted his answer here. He was flattered that some thought it was him (and he wished) , but it was a keyboard.
    Someone ask Ian...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Partly true, and Watercolour Days was indeed released in early '71, not '70. But the Up Above was - AFAIR - more of a compilation of tracks from Scrapbook, a single and even some earlier things by the precursor 1-2-3 - and issued in the US/Canada exclusively. BGO certainly didn't care about it when they released that two-on-one back in '97.
    Yeah, well, I always thought they had only two albums released. I have that BGO CD edition. Watercolour Days I had the LP, about 35 years ago) I think WD is very good. Very strange, that man so talented, as Billy Ritchie, went away from the music business soon after he split the Clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    In the 20th anniversary box book Barre says it's a guitar through a very cheap practice amp he had just bought.
    See ? I knew it.....

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    I have this - what page is this on? Thx

That gnarly gtr amp sound is in there for sure, and if memory serves it's soloed out on the first verse which may be the source of the confusion. But the sound we're all talking about shows up in the 2nd verse. I have to go listen to it now to make sure it's the way I'm remembering it.