Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 70's live prog albums

A few not mentioned yet (since we all know this thread will become about naming them all...)

Harmonium- En Tournée

Rush- All The World's A Stage

Kansas- Two For The Show
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

#1 with a bullet - Yessongs. Terrible recording, incredible playing of incredible music, and no overdubng (that I could tell).
    Kansas -Two for the Show (even better when recently released with extra material)
    ELP - Welcome Back my Friends. I really liked it, but it showed the weakness of Carl Palmer's tempo pretty clearly.
    Rush had a good one; they were proto-prog-metal in those days.
    Bursting Out by Jethro Tull was good.
    The rest aren't prog, like Allman Bros., Humble Pie, GFRR

I know there were more prog live albums, but I was unaware of many of those bands in those days. No 'net, and word didn't spread quickly to Kentucky...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity
    I don't know what the vinyl sounds like, but I bought the CD a couple of years ago, and it sounds horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I don't know what the vinyl sounds like, but I bought the CD a couple of years ago, and it sounds horrible.
    I know, but how many of these live albums from the '70s sound great?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I know, but how many of these live albums from the '70s sound great?
    There are quite a few that sound much better. But the MO CD is really bad. I guess I should just blast it, and not worry about the sound.

Here are a few with good sound I enjoy.

Little Feat-Waiting For Columbus
    Santana-Moonflower
    Weather Report-Live In Tokyo

There are quite a few that sound much better. But the MO CD is really bad. I guess I should just blast it, and not worry about the sound.

Here are a few with good sound I enjoy.

Little Feat-Waiting For Columbus
    Santana-Moonflower
    Weather Report-Live In Tokyo
    The newly reissued Moonflower sounds noticeably better than the original (on vinyl of course).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Genesis-Live
    Yes-Yessongs
    ELP-Welcome Back My Friends...
    Camel-A Live Record
    Kansas-Two For The Show

my favorites:

Area - Are(a)zione
    Magma - Live/Hhai
    801 - Live
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness & Eternity
    King Crimson - The Great Deceiver (if that can count)
    if not, then Hawkwind - Space Ritual
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I'd say:

Banco - Seguendo Le Tracce

Because I didn't read that second part of the original post
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

I don't think it sounds that bad. Won't win any awards, but it certainly doesn't stop me from loving it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Be-Bop Deluxe- (mostly)Live In The Air Age
    Rush- All The World's A Stage
    Grobschnitt- Solar Music Live
    Genesis- Live or Seconds Out (changes daily)
    ELP- Pictures At An Exhibition

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    #1 with a bullet - Yessongs. Terrible recording, incredible playing of incredible music, and no overdubng (that I could tell).
    Kansas -Two for the Show (even better when recently released with extra material)
    ELP - Welcome Back my Friends. I really liked it, but it showed the weakness of Carl Palmer's tempo pretty clearly.
    Rush had a good one; they were proto-prog-metal in those days.
    Bursting Out by Jethro Tull was good.
    The rest aren't prog, like Allman Bros., Humble Pie, GFRR

I know there were more prog live albums, but I was unaware of many of those bands in those days. No 'net, and word didn't spread quickly to Kentucky...
    That good Rush live album you are referring to is "all the world's a stage." I only just heard it this year for the first time. Pretty good for a live album but for me there's too much from the first album and not enough from COS or even 2112. They should have waited until after AFTK to put out a live album but I understand them wanting to capitalize on their new found success at the time.

Live Hai, Solar Music live, Yessongs(or even Yesshows), Seconds out and Playing the Fool float my boat.

Genesis - Live
    Yes - Yessongs
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity
    King Crimson - USA
    Rush - All the World's a Stage

I'm goping to go by actual date of performance rather than release date of album:

Uriah Heep - Live January 1973
    Jethro Tull - Bursting Out
    Pink Floyd - BBC Paris Theatre 1970 (this is not a bootleg it is an official BBC broadcast)
    Genesis - Seconds Out
    Mike Oldfield - Exposed

The reason Ummagumma isn't in my top 5 list is twofold 1) it isn't a 70s album, the 2 gigs were in 69 and it was released in 69. 2) on vinyl, only half of it is live.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I'm goping to go by actual date of performance rather than release date of album:

Pink Floyd - BBC Paris Theatre 1970 (this is not a bootleg it is an official BBC broadcast)
    Has that been officially released? If so, top of my list.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Genesis Live
    I am confused why this amazing single disc doesn't get more love.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by willyswing View Post
    Genesis-Live
    Yes-Yessongs
    ELP-Welcome Back My Friends...
    Camel-A Live Record
    Kansas-Two For The Show
    Add Playing The Fool and you got it!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Has that been officially released?
    Wasn't this the one that got pirate-issued ultimo 1989 with faux green Harvest logos in a white cover sporting the infamous cow walking down a highway, named Atom Heart Mother on the Road? I had that one and remember loving it; the whole thing opened with a monster rendition of "Embryo" which I thought had to have been the greatest set opener of all time. There was a 25-minute "Atom Heart" with choir and brass - and a 26-minute plus version of "Echoes", as well as "Green Is the Colour" and a lengthy "Fat Old Sun" sporting cosmic guitar attack, along with a less convincing "Axe, Eugene" and "One of These Days". I BELIEVE that's the one; it had near-perfect sound.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Agree w/ a lot of the others...but fattening up the list anyway:
    -Kraan Live (was named before but should be mentioned more than once) maybe the...same w/ Roxy Music Viva
    1. Rory Gallagher Irish Tour*
    2. Miles Davis Aghatra*
    3. Frank Zappa Bongo Fury (Not entirely live, but listing on the merits of Advance Romance and Muffin Man).
    4. New Trolls Tempi Dispari (not great sound and a little jammy...but the playing is good).
    5. Sugarcane Harris Sugarcane's Got The Blues.
    *(playing on this rocks and is more mind blowing than most "prog"...so maybe that makes it @*!!#&** prog or at least progressive).

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Wasn't this the one that got pirate-issued ultimo 1989 with faux green Harvest logos in a white cover sporting the infamous cow walking down a highway, named Atom Heart Mother on the Road? I had that one and remember loving it; the whole thing opened with a monster rendition of "Embryo" which I thought had to have been the greatest set opener of all time. There was a 25-minute "Atom Heart" with choir and brass - and a 26-minute plus version of "Echoes", as well as "Green Is the Colour" and a lengthy "Fat Old Sun" sporting cosmic guitar attack, along with a less convincing "Axe, Eugene" and "One of These Days". I BELIEVE that's the one; it had near-perfect sound.
    It's been released as as a boot several times. I don't think it's ever come out officially, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    You're describing two different performances. Whoever put that bootleg together combined songs from two different shows, one from 70, the other from 71.

And none of Pink Floyd's pre-DSOTM BBC recordings have been released officially. The only one that has been released is the Empire Pool thing from 74, which was only put out on one of those limited edition boxsets (which is going for obscene amounts of money now).

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    That good Rush live album you are referring to is "all the world's a stage." I only just heard it this year for the first time. Pretty good for a live album but for me there's too much from the first album and not enough from COS or even 2112. They should have waited until after AFTK to put out a live album but I understand them wanting to capitalize on their new found success at the time.
    I think it was less a matter of capitalizing on their new success, so much as needing to have some breathing room before they had to write and record another studio album.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    List your top 5 fave live 70's prog albums...to qualify, the album must have been released in the 70's so things like King Crimson The Road to Red or Zappa's YCDTOSA Vol 2 wouldn't count
    Well I guess that disqualifies this one, but I want to mention it anyway :

Jan Hammer Group - Live in NYC

This was recorded in '75 but wasn't released until '08 and only as a download. Hardly an audiophile recording either, but it kills! To me, this was Jan wanting to do the Mahavishnu Orchestra his way (with his own tunes) and it was a worthy contender! Almost equal to the MO in fire and passion, but with more ensemble precision. The setlist covers tunes from "Oh, Yeah," "The First Seven Days" and "Like Children." Particularly notable is the drumming of the underrated Tony Smith, but the whole band is burning throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I am confused why this amazing single disc doesn't get more love.
    Same here. For me it collects the strongest material of the Gabriel era (with one obvious exception) and adds a fire to the compositions that I find lacking on their studio counterparts. If they'd included "Supper's Ready," it would probably be my all-time favorite Genesis album.