Thread: How music gets in the way of life...

How music gets in the way of life...

...or, how getting older sucks.

Hey there, I haven't been around these parts much lately, but I want to say that indeed, I am still alive!

But you know, IT finally caught up with me -- what that IT is exactly, is having a life. Graduating college, getting a full time job, living on my own, getting in a relationship, finding a new social circle, finding new interests, etc. And yes, something had to give. I still love music. I still listen as much as possible. But the opportunity to listen, and even worse, the opportunity to explore has drastically been reduced on my end, and I am a bit remorseful about that. Likewise, when I do want to explore, it's not necessarily in the prog rock realm anymore either. But, I still love my old favorites, and never want to give them up; so when they release something new, its difficult to resist gravitating towards that too. I'd like to say I have the same kind of "prog" attitude I did when I first started coming here in my late teens/early 20s, but eh, the spirit is willing, but the pocketbook is not. I hardly ever go to any live shows anymore either, though it doesnt help that my older brother, who used to work at one of the larger concert venues here in the bay, got let go from that job, so no more going to free shows 2-3 times a year (the last one I got to see was the 2nd leg of the Time Machine tour by Rush....I had to skip the Clockwork Angels tour entirely!).

So yeah, I guess what I"m trying to say -- I'm still here guys, I just haven't had much time for you all lately, and Im kinda sorry about that.

Carry on with the normal discussion.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Yeah, it's been a while. I used to follow your blog but lost the link when I ditched my own LJ account. Weas, for new music ideas check out these two threads.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-but-Not-Heavy

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...php/224-Stoner!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Life does get in the way, no doubt about it. I cannot devote as much time to music as I did when I was younger. On the other hand, I have been lucky to have a good job that pays well, so my disposable income for music has gone up compared to when I was young. My favorite thing in life to this day is to drink a few beers and attend a live rock n roll or blues show, so I still go to about 20 or so live shows a year. I still buy a lot of music too (at least compared to most people my age), but don’t have nearly as much time to devote to it as I once did.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    This is one reason why I buy alot of music nowadays...to the point where I have a large stack of CDs I haven't even listened to yet. I know one day things will change and finances are bound to become worse so I want to take advantage of the situation (musically) as much as possible.

At least things aren't in the toilet for ya!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    but eh, the spirit is willing, but the pocketbook is not.
    My pocketbook is light as well, and has been for a year or two, and will likely continue to be for another year or two. No regrets though, as it comes down to mutual decisions my wife and I have made regarding having kids, then putting them in a private school. It's all good.

Having said that, I do manage to buy some new music, but it's at the expense of some of my existing collection. I've been selling discs and a few lps on ebay, and part of the proceeds have become my source for purchases of new stuff. I actually enjoy the selling experience and for the most part don't miss the items I cull from the herd (at least I rationalize it's more than a tradeoff when I sell a rare cd for $30 and turn that into 3 or 4 new additions to the collection).

Btw IMWeasel, are you related to IMGroot?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This is why it's convenient to drop $250-$300 on one King Crimson or Grateful Dead boxed set rather than have to spread yourself too thin. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Hi Weasel!

No but I am friends with rocket raccoon
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.