Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orion 20th Anniversary Celebration November 8th

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Orion 20th Anniversary Celebration November 8th

Friends of Orion Sound Studios are happy to present for your enjoyment:

The Orion Studios 20th Anniversary Appreciation Festival

A DAY-LONG CELEBRATION OF THE ORION SHOWCASE PERFORMANCES IN HONOR OF MIKE POTTER, THE MAN WHO HAS LONG STOOD BEHIND THE MIXING BOARD WITH GENEROSITY AND IMPECCABLE TASTE

YOU are invited to share 20 years of Orion memories with friends, food, and music in the Trapezium Room, famous for its unbeatable sound, intimate “Living Room” ambiance, and memorabilia-lined walls. Please come share the day with us, help us honor Mike and his 20-year devotion to the Baltimore/Washington-area progressive music scene, and, above all, enjoy stellar entertainment provided by:

DISCIPLINE
    ALEC K. REDFEARN & THE EYESORES
    FROGG CAFE
    THE KNELLS

Saturday, November 8, 2014 - Ticket Price: $60*

Starting Time: 2:00 pm - Dinner break: 5:00 pm

* 70 seats are available and seating must be reserved through the following email: pook1973@aol.com. Ms. Debi Byrd will be happy to record your intended presence, and payment will be collected at the door the day of the show. (No credit cards or checks, please.)

Ticket price does not include dinner. Local restaurant info will be provided, and takeout pizza orders will be taken. Guests are encouraged to bring a favorite dish or snacks to share, and select items from the Pook Boarding House Kitchen, The Baking Broad, and the Burch Country Pantry will be there for starters!

Please do bear in mind that this is a celebration party...MORE than the average Orion Showcase! For this special night we have assembled some of Mike's favorite bands--some very outstanding bands!--in thanks for the countless hours he has donated, without compensation, for US!

Come join us in saying “THANK YOU!”
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

69 tickets. One is MINE!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm definitely in, checking logistics to get Alex there.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm in for a pair Definitely don't want to miss this one.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Email sent, already got the green light from the wife to head up to Baltimore that weekend. Looking forward to the celebration.

Yup, we're in.
    Discipline's show at NJ Proghouse last Sunday was spectacular.
    This is a really nice appreciation show for Mike. I've been going to Orion since 1996 and he's laid out some breathtaking shows.
    A great big thank you!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Just got my confirmation from Ms. Byrd.
    Should be a good day.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Yep. I'm in. This will be a really great day!

a little boid tells me that more than half the tickets are gone already.

just sayin'.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

The ever-lovely little boid has confirmed seats for Andrea and me, and we are looking forward to the event with great excitement.

Will be good to see you Jon
    Ian

Two seats confirmed!

Ian, it will be a pleasure to see you in Baltimore. We expect to be toting a cooler full of beer, so I hope you'll join us for a drink or two. You may be able to find an IPA in it somewhere.

Well, folks. I was hoping to start this thread myself with a link to Mike's announcement on the Orion website, but it isn't happening. I'm afraid the dearheart may be too embarrassed to "send" the committee's copy. (We said things like "generous" and "honor," and it seems that Mike Potter is indeed a very humble man.) That won't stop us from tooting his horn for him, though - please come on out and help us, and be ready for one of the year's best parties!

Banned

Mike & I have become very sympatico friends over the last few years, and I sooooo wish I could make this. Kay's health & the fact that we're loading up 2 cars & heading to Raleigh for Dec-Mar so Kay doesn't have to endure another Wisco winter, which every year is exponentially taking more of her lung function, prevents my getting there.

Love ya, Mikey, and don't be so f*****g humble. You're one of the Princes of Prog, my friend!
    Last edited by progeezer; 10-19-2014 at 12:11 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Mike & I have become very sympatico friends over the last few years, and I sooooo wish I could make this. Kay's health & the fact that we're loading up 2 cars & heading to Raleigh for Dec-Mar so Kay doesn't have to endure another Wisco winter, which every year is exponentially taking more of her lung function, prevents my getting there.

Love ya, Mikey, and don't be so f*****g humble. You'e one of the Princes of Prog, my friend!
    The Raleigh winter is a much more moderate than Wisco, but don't forget to bring your winter coat. It does get cold at night even though it may get up to 50 during the day in January.

I have to find a way to get there the Discipline. show in NJ was amazing.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

North America Distribution and Boutique Label
    https://essentials.ProgRock.com

Discord Server
    https://discord.gg/XjXVZ8WqNP

900 + Podcasts here
    www.musicinwidescreen.com
    Live Shows Sunday 6pm-9pm CST Sundays @ ProgRock.com

Ok I am doing this. See you there.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

North America Distribution and Boutique Label
    https://essentials.ProgRock.com

Discord Server
    https://discord.gg/XjXVZ8WqNP

900 + Podcasts here
    www.musicinwidescreen.com
    Live Shows Sunday 6pm-9pm CST Sundays @ ProgRock.com

Just a couple of notes: There are very few reservations left - last I knew we were 7-8 tix from a sell-out. That means two things. Obviously, if you're hoping to come to the show you need to email Debi Byrd at pook1973@aol.com very soon to make reservations for your ticket(s). The other thing is, since we are not collecting any funds except at the door - if you've made a ticket reservation but find you cannot make it PLEASE let Debi know as soon as possible - so that we can make that ticket available to someone else!

Thanks!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Potter View Post
    Just a couple of notes: There are very few reservations left - last I knew we were 7-8 tix from a sell-out. That means two things. Obviously, if you're hoping to come to the show you need to email Debi Byrd at pook1973@aol.com very soon to make reservations for your ticket(s). The other thing is, since we are not collecting any funds except at the door - if you've made a ticket reservation but find you cannot make it PLEASE let Debi know as soon as possible - so that we can make that ticket available to someone else!
    All -

We have officially SOLD OUT of our reservations for the Orion 20th Anniversary Celebration! The committee wants to thanks everyone who has made plans to attend this special event and we look forward to seeing you all on November 8th.

With heartfelt appreciation ~

Debi

Excellent news
    Ian

Great! I watched the Orion portion of Romantic Warriors today (featuring our own Mike Potter, Debi Byrd, Steve F, and Paul Sears!) and I'm definitely ready for this!!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Excellent news
    Yes, the response has been overwhelmingly positive and we have met our venue capacity - which is a great thing. The not-so-great thing is there are more folks who would love to attend this event and be part of the celebration. As such, I have started a Stand-By list and will ask reserved attendees to notify me immediately of any cancellation - so that folks on the Stand-By list may be able to attend.

Appreciate everyone's kind consideration ~

Debi

Quote Originally Posted by Pook1973 View Post
    Yes, the response has been overwhelmingly positive and we have met our venue capacity - which is a great thing. The not-so-great thing is there are more folks who would love to attend this event and be part of the celebration. As such, I have started a Stand-By list and will ask reserved attendees to notify me immediately of any cancellation - so that folks on the Stand-By list may be able to attend.

Appreciate everyone's kind consideration ~

Debi
    Did I hear right that you don't have to bring a chair.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!