Thread: Pram

Pram

I was wondering if there's any liking for Pram around here? I've only just discovered them after hearing a track on Late Junction, and I've now heard 4 of their albums: "The Stars Are So Big...", "Museum of Imaginary Animals", "Dark Island" and "Moving Frontier".

For the uninitiated, they've been around since 1990 (I think) and labels that seem to stick to them are: indie, post-rock, experimental, electronic (in no particular order), but like all good music, no one label does them justice. They've kind of filled a hole in my playlist for some really good late-evening listening. Oh, and did I mention there's even some theremin?

If you want a real recommendation of them, however, what about the fact that they once got 0/10 in a review in the NME? There are few better signs than that, possibly only outdone by Cardiacs being completely banned from being mentioned in that publication.

Pram caught the tail end of the late 90's 'lounge core' scene.(Stereolab, High Llamas, Broadcast etc)

They have a quirky, childlike quality to them, but with a spooky shadow over it.
    I would describe them as something like 'Bagpuss doing a new soundtrack to The Wickerman on an old Casio keyboard '
    (anyone English and over 40 will know what I mean)

Museum of Imaginary Animals is a great place to discover this wonderful band.
    I actually saw them live once in a pub in Manchester.... Bizarre!

Last edited by rael74; 10-14-2014 at 02:27 AM.

I like them a lot. It may seem strange, but sometimes they resemble to a poppier version of Art Bears. And I also hear a child-like approach of Robert Wyatt;s stylings. I have "Helium", "North Pole Radio Station ", "The Museum of Imaginary Animals", "Dark Island" and "The Moving Frontier". By the way, which album did receive the 0/10 rating?
    Last edited by spacefreak; 10-15-2014 at 06:13 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    By the way, which album did receive the 0/10 rating?
    Apparently it was Sargasoo Sea (source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pram_%28band%29. That propelled me to buy it: I've just downloaded it and am listening to it now!

Quote Originally Posted by spacewaltzer View Post
    ...a review in the NME
    The NME... a bunch of absolute pricks.
    The fact that they dislike it so much is in itself a recommendation.
    Allmusic give a much more balanced and positive appraisal of the band.

Those uninitiated are in for a real treat.

Anything on the Too Pure label was pretty much golden. What an interesting era this was, perhaps the last great stand for rock music.

I knew Clark from AE recordings, he worked with Pram and licensed their stuff for release in the US. Fun times they were, I still love all this music. Sargasso Sea and Helium are favs, have some of their CD-Singles as well.
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 10-17-2014 at 09:24 AM.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"