Thread: Blackberry Smoke

Blackberry Smoke

Don’t think I have ever seen this band mentioned here and wondered if anyone was in to them. I have been reading about them in Classic Rock for a while and caught part of a concert on Palladia a while back. I just picked up their new live album and think it is quite good. These guys do pretty much straight up 70’s influenced southern rock. I am really enjoying the album for the most part. They stray a little too close to country at times for me, but this is mostly good old fashioned rock n roll. Any other fans?

They are local, I think.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    They are local, I think.....
    Yes, I believe they are out of somewhere in Georgia.

They seem to be pretty hot, but I totally ignore their genre so I don't know much else.

They are big here in North Carolina as well. I sell quite a few CDs by them.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Banned
    This show is from NC, but they are from Atlanta. Pretty much Southern Rock and Roll. Probably started out doing Marshall Tucker and Skynard covers. Bit more edge than most country, but not as hard as Molly Hacksaw. I hear the Band at times, and a midwestern sound like John Hyatt.

Banned
    Look where these guys are now:
    Oct 15
    The Academy
    Dublin, Ireland
    Tickets RSVP
    Oct 16
    O2 ABC
    Glasgow, United Kingdom
    Tickets RSVP
    Oct 17
    The Ritz
    Manchester, United Kingdom
    Tickets RSVP
    Oct 19
    02 Shepherds Bush Empire
    London, United Kingdom
    Tickets RSVP
    Oct 21
    Cambridge Junction
    Cambridge, United Kingdom
    Tickets RSVP

I played in a band (I was the bass player for an up-n-coming country solo artist a few years ago.....his 'career' fizzled out over the past year) that did a short tour with them in 2012

They are all very cool guys -- very down-to-earth and no 'tudes or egos.......When people are that much of a pleasure to be around, it makes their music even cooler

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Look where these guys are now:
    Oct 15
    The Academy
    Dublin, Ireland
    Tickets RSVP
    Oct 16
    O2 ABC
    Glasgow, United Kingdom
    Tickets RSVP
    Oct 17
    The Ritz
    Manchester, United Kingdom
    Tickets RSVP
    Oct 19
    02 Shepherds Bush Empire
    London, United Kingdom
    Tickets RSVP
    Oct 21
    Cambridge Junction
    Cambridge, United Kingdom
    Tickets RSVP
    Yes they have been coming to Europe for a few years now but have only made it to the UK this year having been well supported by airplay on Planet Rock radio. They got great reviews for a handul of shows they did in the spring and I'm seeing them for the first time next week in Birmingham

Never heard of them, which isn't surprising as it's a type of music I really dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Yes they have been coming to Europe for a few years now but have only made it to the UK this year having been well supported by airplay on Planet Rock radio. They got great reviews for a handul of shows they did in the spring and I'm seeing them for the first time next week in Birmingham
    Classic Rock Magazine (out of London) covers them all the time which is where I first became aware of them. If the magazine is any indication they appear to have quite a following in Europe.

I like some of their stuff, but they do tend to get too country for my tastes.
    I think they've hit the big time.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I'll give 'em a listen soon. I like southern rock to a degree. speaking of Blackberry Smoke, where is Strawberry Bricks? Did he change his PE name?

I heard some samples. I'd call them country rock instead of southern rock. I might be able to enjoy their music after an attitude shift/transition, but not without it.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I heard some samples. I'd call them country rock instead of southern rock. I might be able to enjoy their music after an attitude shift/transition, but not without it.
    As I mentioned earlier some of their stuff does stray pretty close to country, but generally I would say they are southern rock for the most part.

I think my wife would like them, so I'll introduce her to them and see if I can warm up to it.

...actually, the more I browse these guys I'm changing my mind. Starting to really like them. they do some great covers too.

They were excellent live on Wednesday night, really enjoyed it.
    They were supported by a 16 year old blues guitarist from Oxford called Aaron Keylock who some of you guys might like to check out:-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEdOOCqkQfQ

I picked up The Whippoorwill recently and it's a fabulous record. Think Outlaws or (early) 38 Special and you'd be there or thereabouts.

Southern rock doesn't seem to be overly popular on this forum yet it's unfashionable, full of extended solos and covered in facial hair. Just up our street, I would have thought! Seriously, though many of the bands throw loads of interesting sounds into the mix and create their own sound. To my ears, as least, that's to be applauded, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    They were excellent live on Wednesday night, really enjoyed it.
    They were supported by a 16 year old blues guitarist from Oxford called Aaron Keylock who some of you guys might like to check out:-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEdOOCqkQfQ

JEEZus Christ, he's Great! holy fucking mackerel!

I played some of this to my hard core southern rock buddies..... and they loved it ! Weaving in Allman Bros. melodies together (w/ others) was cool. I can't believe I found them on a Prog website ! Progressive Ears = prog unbound

(Southern Rock was way down the list back in '71, but, oh, all those guitars ! We HAD to go see Skynyrd at Buffalo State College Gymnasium '71. !! )

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    I picked up The Whippoorwill recently and it's a fabulous record. Think Outlaws or (early) 38 Special and you'd be there or thereabouts.

Southern rock doesn't seem to be overly popular on this forum yet it's unfashionable, full of extended solos and covered in facial hair. Just up our street, I would have thought! Seriously, though many of the bands throw loads of interesting sounds into the mix and create their own sound. To my ears, as least, that's to be applauded, surely?
    Agreed, there has been a lot of great southern rock over the years with a lot of jamming and sometimes rather innovative writing. The genre still appears to be in pretty good shape with bands like Blackberry Smoke, and Black Stone Cherry becoming quite popular.