Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sound of Contact Begin Work on Second Album.

I just saw that on facebook! Excellent news!

Great to hear!

I was bummed out over the SoC split, so it's really nice to see everyone back together again. Looking forward to where you guys go next.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Super exciting! Awesome news!

That looks like a really recent photograph too. Simon was showing off that new hairdo on his own Facebook page.

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-0...und-of-contact
    Dave Kerzner and Kelly Nordstrom Back In Sound Of Contact
    News / Natasha Scharf / 22 Apr 2015

Sound Of Contact are working on the follow-up to 2013’s acclaimed Dimensionaut following their secret regrouping last month.

The four-piece, comprising Simon Collins, Dave Kerzner, Kelly Nordstrom and Matt Dorsey, have been writing and recording brand new material at a studio in the Oxfordshire countryside. “I missed everybody so it’s good to be back as best friends as well,” says vocalist and drummer Collins.

https://www.facebook.com/davesquidsk...e=1&permPage=1
    Dave "Squids" Kerzner
    April 4 at 12:41am ·

Over the past two weeks I've been working on two new albums I'm co-writing/producing and playing on. I've been enjoying the collaboration! This coming week I return to "New Word" with a few surprises around the corner.
    Aha!

The band was founded in 2009 but had only recorded their debut Dimensionaut when Nordstrom stepped down due to family commitments.
    Ah, that makes sense.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 04-22-2015 at 01:38 PM.

That was shot recently. It was at the top of the building where Prog mag's radio program is broadcast from in London. I was there just before doing a guest appearance for my solo album with Phil Wilding. Then he brought me up to the top where the SOC guys met me and Prog's photographer for the first official band reunited shots and they had an exclusive on the story which is why I couldn't say a peep (except for my hinting which I think was pretty darn obvious... even though most people that know of SOC would perhaps not think we'd ever do this. Even I didn't think we would... but we did.)

WeatherWiseCDC
    “Matt and I started working on the second album after Dave left and although we were coming up with great stuff, it just sounded too much like our own solo material. We really wanted to stick to the integrity of the sound and we even looked for new keyboard players but we didn’t want to alter the sound too much. We decided it was time to move on and focus on our solo projects but before we announced our split, I thought we should call the original members – Kelly and Dave – and see if there was any way we could re-form as we originally intended.” To his delight, they both agreed.
    It looks like you and Kelly rescued the band right in the nick of time. You guys have a special chemistry, and it's extremely exciting that you're all back together. You guys seem meant for each other. Everything is just right about it. I wish you guys a lengthy, wonderful career as a band! Also, can't wait to hear what you and Mantra Vega have in store for us later this year.

Says Kerzner of their first group writing session: “Almost immediately it felt like no time had passed and it was great to see everybody again… We never really had the chance to explore writing and recording together as a four-piece. It was always from either a song Simon or I brought in, or a three-piece collaboration with either Matt or Kelly on guitar and bass. To me, this album [already] has more of a true rock band feel to it.”

Sound Of Contact are on a creative roll and hope the as-yet-untitled album will be released early next year, although they’ve yet to finalise its themes. “I don’t want to say if it’s going to be a concept album yet but they are the Holy Grail for us,” teases Collins. Sound Of Contact are currently considering label and management options as well as looking into the possibility of some live shows. He adds, “We’re not just coming back to write the follow-up; we’re back to make as many records as we can. We hope it continues for years to come!”
    Next year, eh? Next... April? It seems like all of the band's biggest news happens in April.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 04-22-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Wow! Awesome news!

I am very happy. Dimensionaut and New World are two of my favorite albums in a long, long while.
    The Prog Corner

Very cool. I love Dimensionaut, and am looking forward to what you guys come up with next.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I am very happy. Dimensionaut and New World are two of my favorite albums in a long, long while.
    That's great to know. Thanks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    That was shot recently. It was at the top of the building where Prog mag's radio program is broadcast from in London. I was there just before doing a guest appearance for my solo album with Phil Wilding. Then he brought me up to the top where the SOC guys met me and Prog's photographer for the first official band reunited shots and they had an exclusive on the story which is why I couldn't say a peep (except for my hinting which I think was pretty darn obvious... even though most people that know of SOC would perhaps not think we'd ever do this. Even I didn't think we would... but we did.)
    I wondered what Simon thought of your solo success and now am curious if it was a factor. But enough of the past, full steam ahead. Dimensionaut has real staying power. I listen to it to the point of burnout, put it down, and come back enjoying it as much as ever.

Who knows what anyone thinks but I can at least say that in the past few months he and the other guys have been very supportive which is really key for me. I don't think anyone was actually expecting me to do that since I've never done my own album with me singing lead before. A certain amount of respect earned for that and maybe even some inspiration. I don't know! But, it gave me a great position to choose to do this simply because I wanted to and not because I needed to. I'm happy that I can carry on making my own albums regardless. But, to make another album with the original line up of this band... it's almost like living in an alternate reality (in another dimension haha). Really cool. We all feel there's no reason we can't each have our other projects and solo albums but still get together to make the sort of album that these four people make which has its own identity as "SOC". I'm glad we're back to it being lined up genuinely with the people who made Dimensionaut, the only SOC album (so far that is).

Great news! I loved the debut: it was my aln=bum of the year, and it's always in my car, and I have been playing it in regular basis.
    I hope that this time the band will really take care of good mixing, and their new album will not sound as shitty as their debut!Come one, guys, take care of sound quality! Your music deserves good sound!
    I also hope that it will not cost $25 + shipping and handling, as Dave Kerzner's latest opus!

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    Great news! I loved the debut: it was my aln=bum of the year, and it's always in my car, and I have been playing it in regular basis.
    I hope that this time the band will really take care of good mixing, and their new album will not sound as shitty as their debut!Come one, guys, take care of sound quality! Your music deserves good sound!
    I also hope that it will not cost $25 + shipping and handling, as Dave Kerzner's latest opus!
    First time I hear about this CD sounding bad. Maybe you shouldn't listen to it in your car or buy yourself some new ears.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Dimensionaut was mixed by Nick Davis who has co-produced and engineered Genesis, XTC, Marillion and many others. It was done at a top studio called The Warehouse in Vancouver where a lot of bands like Rush have mixed. I don't think the sound quality is in question by too many. Of course, each person is entitled to their opinion. Many variables could be considered like the particular system it's being played on, speakers, EQ settings... who knows what each person is listening on? But, I can say that there couldn't be much more achieved than what was done and it was a great deal more elaborate than most Prog album releases.

As for my album's price, it's the length of a double album at 78 minutes. Less people buy the physical CDs these days vs. downloads (you can download "New World" for $9.99 on iTunes) and if someone wants it they'll get top quality packaging, booklet with lyrics and images and know they're supporting the artist most importantly because that's the only way an album like this can be made. The cost of the CD is the price of one dinner to have something you can listen to and look at forever. My 2 cents anyway.

Dimensionaut was mixed by Nick Davis who has co-produced and engineered Genesis, XTC, Marillion and many others. It was done at a top studio called The Warehouse in Vancouver where a lot of bands like Rush have mixed. I don't think the sound quality is in question by too many. Of course, each person is entitled to their opinion. Many variables could be considered like the particular system it's being played on, speakers, EQ settings... who knows what each person is listening on? But, I can say that there couldn't be much more achieved than what was done and it was a great deal more elaborate than most Prog album releases.

As for my album's price, it's the length of a double album at 78 minutes. Less people buy the physical CDs these days vs. downloads (you can download "New World" for $9.99 on iTunes) and if someone wants it they'll get top quality packaging, booklet with lyrics and images and know they're supporting the artist most importantly because that's the only way an album like this can be made. The cost of the CD is the price of one dinner to have something you can listen to and look at forever. My 2 cents anyway.
    It was hardly overpriced. Well worth it.

Troll.

Banned

I found the recording to sound better when played on my better systems. That's not true for poorly recorded music. I have noticed that when hearing certain songs on compressed streaming channels that the album suffers because of the information content which is large (compression schemes don't work as well with complex music). Other than streaming, I only listen to CD quality via Apple lossless.

Just curious, did Nick Davis use SSL analog mixing or digital?

Dimensionaut sounds great, lots of layers and detail in the mix. I don't get where that comment is coming from at all (did he unknowingly buy a bootleg?).
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Troll.
    I checked a bunch of posts from Booba and apparently he is not afraid to give his contrarian opinion. He also appears to be into jazz, attending the Montreal jazz festival for 8 years. Thus, is quite accustomed to superior sound quality. Jazz however complex musically, is not densely complex like SOC. One could easily hear the limitation of vinyl on Yes albums in the early 70s compared to jazz albums. Pink Floyd and Ambrosia had the engineering talent of Alan Parsons who helped unconstraining the music to fit the media. The critics of Nick Davis don't like the compression he admitted to using on the high res Genesis SACDs. I'd like to understand what Nick did and why. The claim is that he hard limited, and if that's the case then the result will be sound different in different systems. That needs to be avoided. Fortunately MFIT is one of those processes which intends to help artists and engineers to avoid this.

Dave,
    I'm a bit disappointed of your reaction on my post.
    Just in case if you and the dumb idiot that called me "troll" didn't notice it: I'm your fan, and I loved the Dimensionaut. And I believe that your music deserves MUCH better production and sound quality, and 5.1 treatment.
    So I really want your next album will be even better than your debut. This is my goal. Am I clear?
    I don't care where the Dimensionaut was done and by who. What matter is the result: it sounds crappy, and the person who made it is a bad professional. Not horribly, but pretty bad. It's over compressed, and in loud moments the drums turn to noise.
    Just play, for instance, last year's Glass Hummer album analogize with Dimensionaut, not to mention any Steven Wilson-produced works, and if you still think Dimensionaut sounds great, then...
    BTW, it was a thread here on this forum about poor sound quality of Dimensionaut, and many people on Yahoo said the same, so I'm not alone with my opinion.
    If I were you I'd try to listen, just a little bit, your fan's critical opinion, because they are your fans, not enemies.

I have something say about the CD price part, but I feel it's counterproductive to discuss it with you and other participants of this thread. All I can say is: a) Torrent is everywhere, b) remember why totally noncommercial Faust's LP became bestseller in UK.

Banned
    Dave,
    I'm a bit disappointed of your reaction on my post.
    Just in case if you and the dumb idiot that called me "troll" didn't notice it: I'm your fan, and I loved the Dimensionaut. And I believe that your music deserves MUCH better production and sound quality, and 5.1 treatment.
    So I really want your next album will be even better than your debut. This is my goal. Am I clear?
    I don't care where the Dimensionaut was done and by who. What matter is the result: it sounds crappy, and the person who made it is a bad professional. Not horribly, but pretty bad. It's over compressed, and in loud moments the drums turn to noise.
    Just play, for instance, last year's Glass Hummer album analogize with Dimensionaut, not to mention any Steven Wilson-produced works, and if you still think Dimensionaut sounds great, then...
    BTW, it was a thread here on this forum about poor sound quality of Dimensionaut, and many people on Yahoo said the same, so I'm not alone with my opinion.
    If I were you I'd try to listen, just a little bit, your fan's critical opinion, because they are your fans, not enemies.

I have something say about the CD price part, but I feel it's counterproductive to discuss it with you and other participants of this thread. All I can say is: a) Torrent is everywhere, b) remember why totally noncommercial Faust's LP became bestseller in UK.
    Let me be honest, you are an asshole and troll, and because I called you this, that doesn't make me an idiot. Dimensionaut doesn't sound crappy and yes it could improve. Any thread dealing with sound quality on PE I've read, is filled with Nick Davis haters because he ruined Genesis more than Phil Collins. Whine, whine.

Wow, I thought firth5th is a dumb idiot, but Firth is not. Apparently, you have two names here
    I like the way this discussion goes: if I disagree with you, you are an asshole! Bravo!
    BTW, I didn't talk to you, I talked to Dave. I don't care about your opinion.

Banned
    Wow, I thought firth5th is a dumb idiot, but Firth is not. Apparently, you have two names here
    I like the way this discussion goes: if I disagree with you, you are an asshole! Bravo!
    BTW, I didn't talk to you, I talked to Dave. I don't care about your opinion.
    Dude if you want to talk to Dave send a private message, but perhaps you are not intelligent enough to realize that.
    I would say that I hear a remarkable similarity of Simon's drums to Phil's drums. Since Hugh Padgam started the noise gate on Phil's drums, which started a fad, his drums sounded like crap.

As I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's subjective. I personally think it sounds great. I co-produced that album with Simon and we hired Nick to do the mixing for us which was an honor given his massive experience and knowledge (and yes he mixed it on an analog SSL). I'm happy with the end result. From what I've heard and read it seems most other people are too.

Anyway, Booba, I understand you do like it but wish the sound had other qualities more to your taste. That part is fair enough. Not much else to say. Whenever I work on something I use my own ears to judge. I'm happy with the way it sounds. That's really all I have to say about that.
    Last edited by Squids; 04-26-2015 at 01:08 PM.