Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rachel Flowers --Larks Tongues in Aspic Part 1

Rachel Flowers --Larks Tongues in Aspic Part 1

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Too many http's

https://soundcloud.com/rachelflowers...-crimson-cover

That's pretty amazing.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 10-12-2014 at 12:54 AM.

Just saw the real thing last week, and it was great, but Rachel can certainly give the Crims a run for their money! Best cover I've heard of this piece.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I just checked out her version of LTiA Pt. II - did I read correctly that she plays ALL the instruments? My mind is absolutely blown and my jaw has been on the floor the entire time listening to this.

Zappa covers too.
    This woman is incredible!

She is a remarkable talent. I suspect she plays the drums and bass on keyboard but what shocked me in addition to her talent on keyboard and flute is how incredibly she can play guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    She is a remarkable talent. I suspect she plays the drums and bass on keyboard but what shocked me in addition to her talent on keyboard and flute is how incredibly she can play guitar.
    yep. the guitar and bass were spot on. bad ass!

It actually sounds a lot like the original. Is this her playing all of the instruments? I thought she only played keyboards. It's very very well done. Excellent.

"Larks Part 2" now up: https://soundcloud.com/rachelflowers-1 As ever, fantastic performances.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Well, I'm certainly impressed, especially with the places where she took some liberties.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Good gravy! I want to see her perform live so badly!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Hi, as my screen name implies, I really am Rachel's mom. Rachel does play bass as well. She tells me that in certain parts of LTIA Pt. 1 the distorted bass is played on the keyboard. All other bass parts are real bass. Glad you all like it!! ~ jeanie

Ms. Flowers, as you well know, your daughter is a prodigious talent.

I remember reading that she learned to read music via 'Braille' notation and that she has taken piano lessons for a while. However, I'm sure there are no complete transcriptions of Larks' Tongues in Aspic, so she clearly did her version by ear. Utterly amazing. You may not know that many of the inventive, idiosyncratic percussion parts were created by a English musician named Jamie Muir, who came from the 'free jazz' improv movement in England. Rachel absolutely nailed the delicacy and other worldliness of those parts in a way that hasn't been heard performed since 1972. I'm sure Mr. Muir would be interested to hear her version. The guitarist who co-wrote the piece, Robert Fripp, is one of the greatest rock guitarists on the planet, and Rachel captured the essence of those parts as well.

Very impressive indeed!

I was wondering if Rachel has studied music theory and if she is interested in composition?

Please tell her to keep up the good work, and that many folks on this group are cheering her on and would love to see her perform someday. It's clear that she derives great enjoyment from music, and as long as she continues to approach it on basis, she will do fine.

All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel's Mom View Post
    Hi, as my screen name implies, I really am Rachel's mom. Rachel does play bass as well. She tells me that in certain parts of LTIA Pt. 1 the distorted bass is played on the keyboard. All other bass parts are real bass. Glad you all like it!! ~ jeanie
    Her playing and talent generate incredible amounts of excitement. I wish her all the best in her musical endeavors! Thanks for being here on PE (and on Facebook as well).

Hi Beetlebum,

Rachel does read Braille Music, but she really only ever uses it to learn her classical flute pieces. Everything else she learns by ear.

She started playing the piano when she was 2 years old, and took lessons from the time she was 4 until she was 18 years old. She was a student at the Southern California Conservatory of Music for that same time period, and learning music theory was incorporated into her lessons there.

As far as her King Crimson covers, she has been a huge fan since she was maybe 8 or 10 years old when her piano teacher introduced her to KC and burned her a copy of Larks' Tongues in Aspic. She recorded her version of part 1 just for fun. Then we saw them in LA on this current tour and she decided to record part 2 immediately after that.

Yes, Rachel is very much into composition and she writes constantly. She is very particular, as you might guess. Much of her writing is orchestral, and finding the right sound libraries to produce the exact sounds she is looking for is just about the only thing holding her back at the moment. You will be hearing more of her original writing pretty soon - knock on wood!!

Thank you so much for your continued support!
    jeanie

A while back I watched some of the videos of Rachel doing the old ELP stuff, with the proper synthesisers- amazing! How good it is to have such a talented young musician, playing classic progressive rock material.

Hi Jeanie, that's wonderful to hear.

Personally, I like Vienna Instruments, but they are pricey!

This is really fantastic! One of my favorite pieces of music. Any chance Rachel would be able/interested in forming a band and taking this on the road, or at least putting out some shiny discs? I'm confident she could do well on kickstarter if capital is an issue...

Rachel's Mom - You must listen to your daughter and shake your head sometimes... at how amazing she really is. So amazing. Have a wonderful day!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Unreal.
    Chad

Are there videos of Rachel playing guitar? I love watching her keyboard vids on YT, would love to watch her playing some of those tricky Zappa and Fripp guitar parts.

Pretty awesome stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I'm confident she could do well on kickstarter if capital is an issue...
    Nevermind... I just saw the indiegogo link above...