Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Album covers that have been banned or censored !

Beatles - Y&T "butcher" cover
    Mom's Apple Pie - s/t

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Stones..Beggar's Banquet
    The toilet cover was banned in the US.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I believe later copies of Whitesnake's "Come An Get It" were censored.

Skynyrd's Street Survivors! The original cover depicting the band standing in a street in flames was quickly pulled and replaced with a flameless version after the plane went down days after release.

Edit- whoops, missed Modry's post. Knew someone would have it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Roger Waters' Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking. I recently sold my uncensored US LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Smell The Glove- Spinal Tap
    Ian: They're not gonna release the album... because they have decided that the cover is sexist.

Nigel: Well, so what? What's wrong with bein' sexy?
    Officer Droid.

The one Roxy Music cover with the two women, I guess that would be what? Country Life? When it was released in the States, it was packaged in opaque cellophane, so as to not disturb record store shoppers or whatever.

Storm Thorgerson took note of the Stateside packaging for the Roxy Music record, and decided that it'd be a great idea to package Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, in a similar fashion, with the record wrapped in opaque black cellophane, with just a sticker on the cellophane to identify the record. The idea being, you'd only see the album cover artwork once you got the record home and took the cellophane off.

Talking about Scorpions, Love At First Sting was also censored. Some copies have a picture of the band on the front cover, instead of the sort of semi-erotic picture of the couple that was on the original version.

I think it was Moby Grape who put out an album with a photo of the band on the cover, where one of the band members had his middle finger extended, but done in such a fashion that nobody spotted it until the record had been out for awhile. They had to airbrush the finger out on subsequent pressings.

I believe I read that the Mom's Apple Pie record was an example of self-censorship, with the intent of drumming up free publicity or whatever, which obviously failed, because who the frell has ever heard of Mom's Apple Pie?! From what i gather they put out the original cover thinking it generate controversy, which it didn't, so they put out the censored version, and that didn't do anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I believe I read that the Mom's Apple Pie record was an example of self-censorship, with the intent of drumming up free publicity or whatever, which obviously failed, because who the frell has ever heard of Mom's Apple Pie?! From what i gather they put out the original cover thinking it generate controversy, which it didn't, so they put out the censored version, and that didn't do anything either.
    Source?

Wikipedia doesn't know anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    ...but my favourite "censored" cover has to be the Soviet pressing of Led Zeppelin's fourth album. I can only try to guess the logic behind this.
    That's a strange one for sure. Would love to hear your guesses!

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
    Jimi hated the naked women cover that Track Records put out. He actually wanted to use a photo of him, Noel and Mitch in Central Park with a group of children on the cover, but neither Track nor Reprise paid any attention to his requests.

Emergency: Entrance. Originally had a cover depicting a strung-out hippie shooting up heroin. Replaced by a (less offensive, yet still rather crass) photo of a soldier peeing in a forest.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

The one Roxy Music cover with the two women, I guess that would be what? Country Life? When it was released in the States, it was packaged in opaque cellophane, so as to not disturb record store shoppers or whatever.

Storm Thorgerson took note of the Stateside packaging for the Roxy Music record, and decided that it'd be a great idea to package Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, in a similar fashion, with the record wrapped in opaque black cellophane, with just a sticker on the cellophane to identify the record. The idea being, you'd only see the album cover artwork once you got the record home and took the cellophane off.
    That's the one.Censored cover is same picture,only the two women disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    ...but my favourite "censored" cover has to be the Soviet pressing of Led Zeppelin's fourth album. I can only try to guess the logic behind this.
    wtf cover,if there ever was.

What you see here ?

Agitation Free - 2nd.jpg

The original unreleased cover for Caravan's For Girls That Grow Plump In The Night.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Did Steppenwolfs Penis car get banned?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Hmmm

Atomic Rooster - Nice´N´Greasy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I'm sure it would be Sticky Fingers, which I mentioned earlier. Can't think of any reason why the cover of beggar's banquet would offend.
    Not that the Sticky Fingers cover offended me in the slightest...
    Yeah, neither I was offended) But some prudish censors surely got hurt)

ELP Brain Salad Surgery was censored
    Yes Yesterday's was controversial in the U.S. But was still released and of course Time and a Word we all know about with Steve on the cover.

BSS was censored? By whom?

Another not banned, but changed at the 11th hour:

Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet

The cover consists of a wet black garbage bag with the words "Slippery When Wet" traced in the water. The album originally was to feature a busty, 34DD woman in a wet yellow T-shirt with the album name on the front of the shirt. This original version of the cover was swapped for the wet plastic bag cover just prior to release. The reasons most often given for the switch were record execs' fears that the dominant record store chains at the time would have refused to carry the album with such a sexist cover, or Jon Bon Jovi's complaint that the record company had put a bright pink border around the photograph that the band had submitted.

Not exactly an album cover, but the poster of H.R. Giger's "Penis Landscape" that came with the Dead Kennedys' Frankenchrist album got them into a big obscenity trial...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I doubt it, since it was in the gatefold and hidden from view.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I read that they themselves came to solution to 'dissolve' the penis by airbrush, predicting the complications with an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post

What you see here ?

Agitation Free - 2nd.jpg
    now that you mention it....

mmmhhh!!!... especially that if you look behind the red veil inside the "wind" picture, you'll see a naked woman... This said,in Canada, we had WYWH in tran^parent cellophane, but the sticker was on it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I believe later copies of Whitesnake's "Come An Get It" were censored.

surtely you mean WS's Love Hunter
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.