Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Instrumental Bands that Might Be Spacey and Dark but Not Heavy

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Morte Macabre
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Great tune.I haven't heard of them.
    A one-off from 1992 iirc... Signed to Greg's Synphonic label. Album consists of 4 long tracks in a similar vein. I always found the opening 6 mins of the album kind of repetitive but after that the thing takes off!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Only,are they dark ?
    That's a tough adjective by definition. If you want something really dark and spacey, then I would suggest something like Sigillum S (Italy). But the examples given didn't imply that was what the OP was looking for. But then again, maybe so? I was thinking dark in the same way as Hawkwind perhaps. If Papir fits the definition, the others I listed do too. It's certainly not happy music

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Not overly dark but does anyone remember Atavism Of Twilight?

Definitely. Still have the original cassette. Great, great stuff. Also picked up Syn-Phonic's reissue on CD.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I'll second the rec on Papir. Both Stundum and III & IIII are in print. They are low-runs so don't wait more than a few months to snatch them up. I've noticed that any physical product from El Paraiso tends to be bought up inside a year. I wouldn't call Papir dark, though.

I am a big Djam Karet fan too. If you want chill and spacey, go for The Trip. Suspension & Displacement is good, if you want something darker. I still say that Ascension is one of the best things they've done. It's a bit more varies in its sound than the other two I've mentioned, but the closing track, "Disintegration" is some primo spacey shit.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I'll second the rec on Papir. Both Stundum and III & IIII are in print. They are low-runs so don't wait more than a few months to snatch them up. I've noticed that any physical product from El Paraiso tends to be bought up inside a year. I wouldn't call Papir dark, though.
    True.Also Causa Sui (now on El Paraiso) early vinyls on Nasoni and Elektrohasch,are out of print and expensive.
    I think to get some Papir eventually.El Paraiso website seems to be currently offline.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    That's a tough adjective by definition. If you want something really dark and spacey, then I would suggest something like Sigillum S (Italy). But the examples given didn't imply that was what the OP was looking for. But then again, maybe so? I was thinking dark in the same way as Hawkwind perhaps. If Papir fits the definition, the others I listed do too. It's certainly not happy music
    It's not unhappy either !
    Last edited by Modry Effekt; 10-11-2014 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Not overly dark but does anyone remember Atavism Of Twilight?

Yep, I remember them, they were from So. Cal., I met their lead guitar player "Evan" at Greg's (Synphonic) one time and went to see them live a a little club. I still enjoy listening to their CD...

Also,check out God is an Astronaut, they have a bunch of releases, all of them good, and they are every bit as good and dark as Future Kings of England ...

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    My Brother the Wind, Oresund Space Collective, Vespero, Walrus, Agusa, Electric Orange, Eye, Fjodor, Space Spectrum, Cosmic Dead, Kama Loka, Lunar Dunes
    Tom, of those that I quote above, which 3 are the best?

I already have albums by the others you mentioned
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Also,check out God is an Astronaut, they have a bunch of releases, all of them good, and they are every bit as good and dark as Future Kings of England ...
    Great band
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

architectural metaphor -- creature of the velvet void
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guD2EbE9kAk (it changes around 1:40)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhQiwDQ3KSE (it changes around 1:07)

robert fripp -- gates of paradise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egAzB-jusQ4

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Tom, of those that I quote above, which 3 are the best?

I already have albums by the others you mentioned
    "My Brother the Wind, Oresund Space Collective, Vespero, Walrus, Agusa, Electric Orange, Eye, Fjodor, Space Spectrum, Cosmic Dead, Kama Loka, Lunar Dunes" - Oooh, L, that's a tough one man. Certainly from an album perspective, Vespero probably has the best catalog - and I would probably start with "Surpassing All Kings". OSC has an enormous backlog, all of them at least good, but I would start with "The Black Tomato". Electric Orange is another band with many releases. "Krautrock From Hell" is a good place to start. I really loved the debuts from Walrus, Agusa, and Kama Loka. I have some notes about all of these on my UTR site (though a couple (OSC and Electric Orange) are just isolated albums not full discographies). And I'm currently working on a full Vespero retrospective as we speak. And I have the new MBTW on the way now to add to that page.

We need my good friend Spyros to chime in here as well. He's responsible for the excellent vinyl issues of Space Spectrum, Fjodor, Cosmic Dead, and a few others I didn't list. I consider him to be one of the foremost experts in this field!

Thanks Tom!

This style of music is my kind of thing, especially the more complex compositional stuff... I dunno if they go in this thread but Future Kings scratch an itch for me that few others can, so this is the stuff AFAIC
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    They have been popping up on my Porcupine tree Pandora station, I like it.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Just reading about God is an Astronaut on Allmusic - I am growing very excited about this band.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Just reading about God is an Astronaut on Allmusic - I am growing very excited about this band.
    Check out, All Is Violent All Is Bright, and Far From Refuge
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Bohren & der Club of Gore

^This album, in particular, has been recommended to me

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/bohre...1228/biography
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Astra?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    You know I discovered them just clicking around You Tube, they have a ton of songs on there...!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Bohren & der Club of Gore

^This album, in particular, has been recommended to me

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/bohre...1228/biography
    Black Earth and Sunset Mission are both excellent
    Ian

you might like GRU-Cosmogenesis. Have just refreshed myself on that one. Awesome guitar/bass and synth soundscapes. Programmed drums tho... but that's a one man band anyway.

Nebelnest could fit with the crimson flavour.
    https://myspace.com/nebelnest