Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Instrumental Bands that Might Be Spacey and Dark but Not Heavy

Looking for Instrumental Bands that Might Be Spacey and Dark but Not Heavy

So strip away the metal/stoner vibe but leave in the psych/King Crimson elements. Example: Ephemeral Sun, The Future Kings of England, Vietgrove. There's guitar punch in those three but I guess they're definitely not metal or stoner. Or are these three just orphans without a pigeonhole?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

hehehe

Sphere3 immediately pops to mind.

Twelfth Night - when they didn't have a vocalist

Tarentel - especially From Bone to Satellite

That's off the top of my head. I'll have more in a bit

~Jeff

How about Maximum Indifference?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Two other obvious ones that I didn't think of right away:

Gosta Berlings Saga
    Miriodor

At first I thought this was going to stray into avant territory but it's quite nice

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    At first I thought this was going to stray into avant territory but it's quite nice
    And? Where's the contradiction? Miriodor are and have always been avant-progressive of the highest order - AND they are "nice"; and not at all alone there. 80-90% of avant-prog artists I know of are "nice". The notion that somehow "avant" equals jarring, inaccessible, impossibly dissonant... Yeah, well - it's often true, but this doesn't distract from the music being significantly "nice".

Original progressive rock music was almost always bold, daring, far reaching and radical. Until modern so-called "prog" came along and effectively ruined it. Too bad.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

To me, Miriodor perfectly toes the line between complex and catchy (not that the two are mutually exclusive) - they will have some ridiculously impossible sounding melodies yet they get stuck in your head. Plus their songs probably average around 5 minutes, so they almost never go on for too long

Their earlier stuff (s/t, Rencontres) have a jazzier, almost Canterbury feel to them. After Bernard Falaise joined them, they got a bit more "angular" but improved dramatically. Most think that Elastic Juggling is their best. My personal favorite is Avanti. YMMV.

Philharmonie - Rage, Nord, or The Elephant Bell-Ringers (Les Elephants Carillonneurs) complex, dark, instrumental, Crimson influenced guitar & drums
    that is one that comes to mind
    Last edited by markwoll; 10-08-2014 at 08:16 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Radio Massacre International - Rain Falls In Grey

It's their tribute to Syd Barrett and features a more guitar centric sound than their usual stuff

http://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com...-falls-in-grey

Miasma & The Carousel Of Headless Horses

Unit Wail

There could be any number of post rock bands

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Tortoise
    Crippled Black Phoenix
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Sorry for the plug, but my old band sort of fits the bill: http://greylyng.bandcamp.com

Djam Karet comes to mind. Definitely a band worth checking out if you don't know them and yes they are instrumental.

Ray Sammartano, spacey and dark analog synthiness:

Lunatic Soul the side project of Mariusz Duda of Riverside

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Djam Karet comes to mind. Definitely a band worth checking out if you don't know them and yes they are instrumental.
    get their album Suspension and Displacement... exactly what the doctor ordered
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Radio Massacre International - Rain Falls In Grey
    Yep, got that one. Definitely scratches my occasional Syd Barrett itch.

get their album Suspension and Displacement... exactly what the doctor ordered
    I found this track on YouTube - it's intriguing. I see that Allmusic prefers A Night for Baku over Suspension and Displacement

I'm no expert on Djam Karet, but there is a lot of diversity amongst their albums. From what I have heard, Suspension & Displacement is a bit more spacey, Night for Baku is a bit more "ethnic" (although I could be thinking of another album. I only have three of their albums, but the consensus amongst reviewers tends to be that you can't go wrong with any Djam Karet. I have a feeling they are right in your wheelhouse though

It would seem to me that the entire space rock movement would fit the definition of what you're asking for? The metal/stoner elements is a bolt-on to the scene, but many bands still keep it "pure" as it were.

I could be missing the boat here, but I'm thinking of bands like: My Brother the Wind, Oresund Space Collective, Gosta Berlings Saga (already mentioned), Vespero, Walrus, Agusa, Electric Orange, Eye, Fjodor, Space Spectrum, Cosmic Dead, Kama Loka, Lunar Dunes, and Papir amongst many others. There's bound to be something you'd like in that batch anyway

Gosta Berlings Saga is a little too avant for my tastes. Nothing wrong with avant, it goes just far enough past my tolerance for dissonance to make me lost interest.

Papir is freaking awesome. Stundum is incredible.

Gosta Berlings Saga is a little too avant for my tastes. Nothing wrong with avant, it goes just far enough past my tolerance for dissonance to make me lost interest.

Just curious if you've heard the first Gosta Berlings Saga? I would say it's more Swedish psychedelic and a good ways different from their later stuff. It's my favorite one for certain.

If you like Papir, then try some of the other bands I mentioned - I think you'll like many of them!

I hadn't heard of these before just now... gonna hafta check em out, thanx!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Just curious if you've heard the first Gosta Berlings Saga? I would say it's more Swedish psychedelic and a good ways different from their later stuff. It's my favorite one for certain.

If you like Papir, then try some of the other bands I mentioned - I think you'll like many of them!
    I'll sort through the rest on YouTube or wherever the next few days. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    It would seem to me that the entire space rock movement would fit the definition of what you're asking for? The metal/stoner elements is a bolt-on to the scene, but many bands still keep it "pure" as it were.

I could be missing the boat here, but I'm thinking of bands like: My Brother the Wind, Oresund Space Collective, Gosta Berlings Saga (already mentioned), Vespero, Walrus, Agusa, Electric Orange, Eye, Fjodor, Space Spectrum, Cosmic Dead, Kama Loka, Lunar Dunes, and Papir amongst many others. There's bound to be something you'd like in that batch anyway
    Only,are they dark ?

Not overly dark but does anyone remember Atavism Of Twilight?

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

^^^Yeah, AoT were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Not overly dark but does anyone remember Atavism Of Twilight?
    Great tune.I haven't heard of them.