Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Doom Room

The Doom Room

Hi all.

I'm creating this thread as a kind of counter-balance to the stoner thread. In other words on this thread, I just want us to look at NEW Doom metal, i.e. the slow, ominous, thick, heavy stuff.

SO that in mind, PLEASE NONE of the faster or fusiony types - death-doom, black-doom, thrash-doom, sludge-doom, stoner or drone, and ABSOLUTELY no growl vocals

Doom only please, as long as it is new, slow-ish, thick and heavy - lets say albums from 2010 onwards, it can be epic doom, funeral doom, traditional doom, gothic doom or simply slow old school psychy,spacey hard rock.

I've got some fav albums from 2014 - Electric Wizard, John Gallow, Avatarium, Witch Charmer, Salem's Pot, Monolord

But I'd like to see what you're all listening to.

Of those bands, I have a few Electric Wizard CDs but haven't heard of the others. I'll go exploring.

Last edited by davis; 10-07-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Witch Mountain.

I just saw them open for Nik Turner a week ago or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Witch Mountain.

I just saw them open for Nik Turner a week ago or so.
    That was really good, Joe.
    I'm not always in the mood for this kind of music, but October seems a good time for it.
    I'd say that Reverend Bizarre was one of the better Doom bands from the early to mid oughts

Yob (I think they may have growly bits though), Pallbearer.

You might also check out the newest Earth. Those cats take slow to all new levels of slow.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I have the first 2 WM CDs. This is the last tour with the current singer; they're looking for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I have the first 2 WM CDs. This is the last tour with the current singer; they're looking for a new one.
    Yep. She's officially done. I saw the second to last show with her.

I picked up the new album and the last one at the show.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Why none that have growled vocals?

Yob has some growls. I don't like that, but it's tolerable because I like their music so much. I don't think it exists, but I'd sure like to hear some Rockabilly Doom. When I first heard Alice Cooper's "Disgraceland" I thought metal rockabilly should be it's own genre. But that's the only song I've heard that mixes those styles.
    Last edited by davis; 10-07-2014 at 11:00 AM.

The latest from Apostle of Solitude is quite good, titled Of Woe and Wounds. Great early Sabbath, Candlemass, Saint Vitus styled doom, crushing riffs, powerful vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Why none that have growled vocals?
    Because I don't like growl vocals in doom. And as such I requested that death & black doom not be listed. Traditional doom doesn't have it. Lots of Death & Black doom do have growled vocals, which means they are also much faster. This is kind of a circular Q & A.

Like Witch Mountain and Reverend Bizarre,on Svart records :

Thanks Joe, I'm lovin' the Witch Mountain. Have they got an album out currently?
    Thanks Modry, that Sabbathian stuff is also wonderful.
    Last edited by PeterG; 10-07-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

You might also check out the newest Earth. Those cats take slow to all new levels of slow.
    Thanks for the tip. I've just been listening to their new album. I like what I hear, good singing, good music, slow and melodic, without descending into being droney, experimental & tuneless.

Oh yea, my current favourite amongst my favourites, Avatarium, I've got the album on vinyl. And that is one of the top 3 songs on the album, the dramatic changes in it from heavy doom to 70s song and back again & again are mindblowingly wonderful. When it kicks in again at 2 minutes, man, that's the real deal right there!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Thanks Joe, I'm lovin' the Witch Mountain. Have they got an album out currently?
    the latest one came out last month: http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp....bile-of-angels

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    the latest one came out last month: http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp....bile-of-angels
    As Davis mentioned, the new album (Mobile of Angels) came out last week.

There is a very short growling section on one of the songs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    As Davis mentioned, the new album (Mobile of Angels) came out last week.

There is a very short growling section on one of the songs though.
    That's in "Can't Settle" and it's too brief and well mixed (not up front in your face/ears) that it's not a reason to not get the album. For me anyway. much less growling than on a Yob album

Oh yea, my current favourite amongst my favourites, Avatarium, I've got the album on vinyl. And that is one of the top 3 songs on the album, the dramatic changes in it from heavy doom to 70s song and back again & again are mindblowingly wonderful. When it kicks in again at 2 minutes, man, that's the real deal right there!
    Very nice band to watch too.

Big doom metal fan from the old days (Black Sabbath, Cathedral, Electric Wizard, My Dying Bride, November's Doom, Celtic Frost) but I haven't kept up with it in the past few years so thanks for starting this thread

The only 2010+ release I have to turn people on to is Triptykon's "Eparistera Daimones"

I also have my own doom metal band called "WytchCrypt"...here's a piece from my last album released a few months back...

Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Very cool to see that live Avatarium clip. Love that album and they pull that tune off so well live!

Triptykon is amazing. That first album is so unbelievably heavy.

latest arrival...

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS