Thread: Top 5 Favorite Bootlegs....

Zappa - 1979-04-01 - Zurich
    Pink Floyd - 1970 1971 BBC Archives 1970 1971, Paris Theatre, London
    Gong - 1976-03-00 Oxford, UK
    The Muffins - 1979-11-12 - Boston
    National Health - 1976-02-14 - London School of Economics

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Wow. That has to be the mother of all bootlegs
    It really is. But, there are others out there from other bands of similar or greater scope.

Like this one:

Pink Floyd: A Treeful Of Secrets
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have heard very few bootlegs. I rate them in this order:

1. Something to Hide - Beatles
    2. Roosevelt Stadium 1976 - Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    KISS - VHS of a mid 70s show from Houston. Been years since I last saw this and also long since packed away
    There's three such shows, one from the Destroyer tour, and two from the Love Gun tour. Circa 1995, I got one of the Love Gun tour ones, and at the time, this stuff was impossible to find. This was a year or two before the reunion tour, so I was just over the moon to finally see some concert footage (and not chopped to ribbons like it usually was on TV) of the real Kiss in concert.

BTW, speaking of Prince, my favorite from him would be The Undertaker, a never released album of him jamming in the studio with a drummer and bassist, circa 92-ish. If I remember correctly, this ended up being shown on Japanese TV (with this ridiculous preamble starring future General Hospital vixen Vanessa Marcil), and that ended up being bootlegged. Some seriously happening music and required viewing for anyone who believes Prince to be without musical talent.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It really is. But, there are others out there from other bands of similar or greater scope.

Like this one:

Pink Floyd: A Treeful Of Secrets
    That one is a gem..

ELP

Swing Auditorium San Bernadino 09/02/1974
    Des Moines 12-06-1977
    Philadelphia Rehearsals 21-07-1992 Video
    Radio City 4-2-1993 Radio City 4-2-1993 Video
    Wiltern 16/3/1993 Video

Hendrix
    25/4/70 LA Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1803 View Post
    ELP

Hendrix
    25/4/70 LA Forum
    Good, but I don't consider it anywhere near one of his better performances.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Floyd -- Oakland 77
    Rush -- Tuscon 78
    Genesis -- MSG 1980
    Zeppelin -- MSG 1977
    Rush -- Radio City 1983 (Countdown DE)

Speaking of Hendrix, my favorites from him are still the six shows (two a night, for three nights) at Winterland in October 1968. The late 80's Live At Winterland release was drawn from the material from these shows, but in my opinion a lot of the best material (including a 12 minute Are You Experienced with flautist Virgil Gonzalez sitting in) was left on the cutting room floor. A few years ago, there was an official boxset that purported to have all six shows on it, but as I recall, that was still missing some songs and some of the ones that were included were edited (including around four minutes being cut from the above cited rendition of Are You Experienced?). So for me, the bootlegs are the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Speaking of Hendrix, my favorites from him are still the six shows (two a night, for three nights) at Winterland in October 1968. The late 80's Live At Winterland release was drawn from the material from these shows, but in my opinion a lot of the best material (including a 12 minute Are You Experienced with flautist Virgil Gonzalez sitting in) was left on the cutting room floor. A few years ago, there was an official boxset that purported to have all six shows on it, but as I recall, that was still missing some songs and some of the ones that were included were edited (including around four minutes being cut from the above cited rendition of Are You Experienced?). So for me, the bootlegs are the only way to go.
    That official "Live at Winterland" release has my fave version of Red House...Jimi is just perfect on that one and the guitar solo is my fave blues solo of all time. Speaking of Jimi boots, have you ever heard of "Red House: Variations on a Theme"? It wasn't technically a boot but had multiple performances of Red House and included guitar tab for 3 or 4 of them. Sound quality was kinda spotty on a couple of the versions but I bought mine in the late 80's and love it.

http://rockonvinyl.blogspot.com/2010...ations-on.html
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I still consider the Albert Hall 2/24/69 show the top of the list. Definitive versions of several songs, IMO. Aside from some out-of-tune playing on Wild Thing.

But there are too many to choose from. The Berkley Shows from May 1970 stand out. I do like the Winterland '68 shows, but, IMO, some of the performances aren't great.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    That official "Live at Winterland" release has my fave version of Red House...Jimi is just perfect on that one and the guitar solo is my fave blues solo of all time. Speaking of Jimi boots, have you ever heard of "Red House: Variations on a Theme"? It wasn't technically a boot but had multiple performances of Red House and included guitar tab for 3 or 4 of them. Sound quality was kinda spotty on a couple of the versions but I bought mine in the late 80's and love it.

http://rockonvinyl.blogspot.com/2010...ations-on.html
    I've got the Red House: Variations On A Theme thing on cassette. Bought it back in the mid 90's at a guitar store I hung out as, several years after it came out. As I recall, it was part of a series of releases that Alan Douglas produced near the end of his regime as curator or whatever the frell he was of the Hendrix catalog. Anyway, they were meant to be educational things, to demonstrate all the dren Jimi with the guitar. I think they only put out two or three, though I think a couple more were planned, but I think a certain court decision prevented Douglas from going further than he did.

Anyhow, the other releases had excerpts from songs and jams, I guess to demonstrate how Jimi used this or that pedal or how he used the whammy bar or feedback or even fingerboard tapping, etc. The Red House release was the only one that had full songs, I think to demonstrate how Jimi treated the song on different nights, playing different things in the solos and so forth.

As I recall, there's also a version by John Lee Hooker, to demonstrate the song's blues roots, and I remember the liner notes pointing how Hooker changed chords when he felt like it, pointing to instances where he'd change on the "and" of "four" or whatever, instead of waiting to where you were "supposed" to change chords.

^ Ya, next to the Winterland version my fave is on that Variations CD...the Electric Church one with Mitch & Buddy Miles on drums, Billy Cox on bass, & Lee Michaels on organ. Not that Jimi ever needed a keyboardist to help him fill the space but hearing that powerful Hammond on Red House makes it a real special version
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

This is probably #1:

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is probably #1:
    Too bad she couldn't sing for shit.