Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Gilbert's GIRAFFE: Lamb 20th Anniv. CD Details

Banned
    CDs should die, but only because we can download the CD quality data.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I think "we" (independent progressive rock bands like Glass Hammer & 3RDegree) need to see if we can talk domestic customers into us sending stuff out Media Mail which I think is much cheaper. It's been a while since I've done that but it's worth looking into.
    Good luck with the media mail approach. Generally speaking, not only do some expect FREE shipping (or close to it), some also are very impatient and want it yesterday. Media mail delivery would satisfy the cost for some, but the time to receive (from initial order to delivery) would be unsatisfactory for many, from my experience.

Implement a reasonable fulfillment plan that works and stick with it -- modify when necessary (i.e., postal increases, overhead cost increment). You will lose the ones on the edge who will balk at your shipping/handling fees, but, the loss of sales should be minimal. The disgruntled ones will complain, usually, but they do not represent the majority.

in my mailbox today. I am tempted to order another copy of each.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    $5 does seem excessive for a single CD in jewel case, within the US. Surely 1st class postage and the packaging don't come to $5? I think Laser's Edge charges close to $3 for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Good luck with the media mail approach. Generally speaking, not only do some expect FREE shipping (or close to it), some also are very impatient and want it yesterday. Media mail delivery would satisfy the cost for some, but the time to receive (from initial order to delivery) would be unsatisfactory for many, from my experience.

Implement a reasonable fulfillment plan that works and stick with it -- modify when necessary (i.e., postal increases, overhead cost increment). You will lose the ones on the edge who will balk at your shipping/handling fees, but, the loss of sales should be minimal. The disgruntled ones will complain, usually, but they do not represent the majority.
    But what is a handling fee? Lots of sellers of goods will say they charge for "shipping & handling" and the handling part just makes it sound like it's a way to add a couple more $ to the total. IMO, the shipping charge should be only the cost of the shipping and the packing materials. Any other costs should be included in the price of the merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    $5 does seem excessive for a single CD in jewel case, within the US. Surely 1st class postage and the packaging don't come to $5? I think Laser's Edge charges close to $3 for that.
    It's only $2 more. This is for a tiny independent release, that is geared towards a handful of interested consumers. We're lucky it's available at all, and thanks to the few guys who took the time to make it happen.

I mean, look at Eddie Jobson. The guy charges $90 for DVD, and then you get it, and it's utter crap. If you want to complain about costs, I would use my energy on something like that.

Just my 2 cents, or 2 dollars.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 12-17-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    It's $2. This is for a tiny independent release, that is geared towards a handful of interested consumers. We're lucky it's available at all, and thanks to the few guys who took the time to make it happen.

I mean, look at Eddie Jobson. The guy charges $90 for DVD, and then you get it, and it's utter crap. If you want to complain about costs, I would use my energy on something like that.

Just my 2 cents, or 2 dollars.
    Wait, you're saying for the Kevin Gilbert CD shipping within the US is only $2? Why does someone above say it's $5?

What I'm saying is that even with small Indie releases and vendors, the shipping cost should include ONLY the ACTUAL cost to the vendor for packing materials and the shipping cost to the vendor. ANY other overhead they want to charge for should be built into the price for the item. Then customers can make a decision based on the item price and not worry that they're being gouged on shipping charges. I'm not saying this hasn't been done with this particular CD - I still don't know the shipping charge.

Wait, you're saying for the Kevin Gilbert CD shipping within the US is only $2? Why does someone above say it's $5?
    It's $5. Your example from Laser's Edge, says it's $2 more then they charge.

Maybe they should make the CD cost $18, and charge you $2 for shipping. Then everyone will think they got a deal!

Or $20 for the CD, with FREE shipping!

Maybe they should make the CD cost $18, and charge you $2 for shipping. Then everyone will think they got a deal!

Either of those is preferable to saying it costs $4.95 to ship one CD, because that just isn't true. It's fine to make a profit (I'm sure at the end of the day it's not much) but don't pretend that you aren't charging more than it costs to pack and mail a CD if you are. That's insulting.

It's like Ticketmaster's "convenience charge." Just tell us how much you charge for a ticket, don't try to spread the cost out.

Toy Matinee Acoustic = $15+shipping
    The Lamb = $15+shipping

There is a sale button for -- Toy Matinee Acoustic & The Lamb = $25+shipping

Still, some will complain.

The initial batch of discs appear to have been delivered last Friday. Some have been enjoying this music for a few days, now.

Toy Matinee Acoustic = $15+shipping
    The Lamb = $15+shipping

There is a sale button for -- Toy Matinee Acoustic & The Lamb = $25+shipping

Still, some will complain.

The initial batch of discs appear to have been delivered last Friday. Some have been enjoying this music for a few days, now.
    I don't think anyone has a problem with the prices of the CDs. It's the shipping charges. Of course he has me Blocked, so he'll never see my posts... If someone can ask him about the high shipping costs I'd appreciate it.

Just tell him jkl2000 wants to know if the shipping charges reflect ONLY the actual postage costs and cost of packing materials, or if they include other costs, and if so what are those?

Maybe he pays some kind of fulfillment service or an employee or something. I'd love to know.

I think "we" (independent progressive rock bands like Glass Hammer & 3RDegree) need to see if we can talk domestic customers into us sending stuff out Media Mail which I think is much cheaper. It's been a while since I've done that but it's worth looking into.

Greg Walker always sends me stuff via media mail. I forget the cost but it's usually $2-$3, depending on the number of CD's (I usually don't get more than 3 at a time). They get to me in a day or two, at the most (except this time of year, when things tend to take longer in general), and I live on the other side of the country for him.

Honestly, even $5 for shipping doesn't bother me at all, especially for something like Kevin's The Lamb and Toy Matinée Acoustic. I'm willing to shell out for CD's though, because I just like them for reasons I can't really explain. I love to have packaging, and since most of my life CD's have been the dominant medium, I'm willing to pay for shipping costs. $13 for a single CD though........I would probably balk at that.

Banned
    I'm listening to the acoustic Toy Matinee rehearsal disc now. Lamb next. The opening track is a cover of Suite Judy Blue Eyes and having this here tells you that this an incredible acoustic group and performance. The back and forth fun between these guys, is great and fun for me. This collaboration fueled by the genius and creativity of Kevin, and the talent of these musicans, caught on a beautifully sounding recording, is a great gift to the world and me, on my birthday.
    Last edited by Firth; 12-22-2014 at 02:03 PM.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    The rules for Media Mail changes a few years back. It's not longer for CDs, DVDs, etc. It's technically for educational materials only.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The back and forth fun between these guys and girl, is great and fun for me.
    For the acoustic set, it was only Kevin, Marc, and Spencer; no girl was performing. Marc's wife (who was in a separate room) is referenced as their telephone starts to ring during a song.

It definitely is a "fly on the wall" type of recording. Very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    The rules for Media Mail changes a few years back. It's not longer for CDs, DVDs, etc. It's technically for educational materials only.
    Answering the question What Is Prog? is educational, thus all our CD purchases qualify.

Banned
    For the acoustic set, it was only Kevin, Marc, and Spencer; no girl was performing. Marc's wife (who was in a separate room) is referenced as their telephone starts to ring during a song.

It definitely is a "fly on the wall" type of recording. Very fun.
    Why does the package say Sheryl Crow is on tracks 8-10. Oh wait I see, these last tracks are recorded at the Ventura Theatre and possible are not acoustic. I haven't listened to those last ones yet.

I also have a problem with the $4.95 shipping (Neal Morse also has high shipping/handling).

1st Class parcel with delivery confirmation should run about $2.50; add another 30-50 cents for padded envelope = $3

Keeping in mind an artist is keeping more money from the direct sales, cutting some slack on shipping seems warranted.

High shipping prices drive sales to retailers - where the artist actually keeps less profit (since these discs were sold at wholesale prices)*.

I consult many artists (ceramic, pictures, etc) - and I tell them all the same thing: price your item to cover most or all your shipping. A person is more likely to buy your item if it's $150 + $10 shipping vs. $90 + $70 shipping.

Peter (offering his opinion both as a professional in the shipping industry and a seller of CD's online)

*In fairness, retailers will typically purchase 20 or 30 copies at a time, so less labor for the artist.

I can only speak for myself here, but I always prefer to have CDs sent to me via media mail. I'm never in that much of a hurry that I need to pay for getting something a few days earlier. But as I said, this is just me.

This is a nice view from Dan Hancock on his part of the performance of The Lamb: http://danhancockmusic.com/danhancoc...ogfest_94.html

A Message From NDV

Do the CD or DVD list Gruno's real name?

Do the CD or DVD list Gruno's real name?
    He doesn't have a real name.

He doesn't really exist.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

What's a Gruno?