Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First four Gentle Giant albums - which versions??

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Gert Van Hoeyen is still active?

That sounds like it might have been a mastering credit that carried over from the old Vertigo CDs, because he did those.

As regards the "resolution" I really don't know without hearing it.
    Don't know about being still active other then he is listed at the bottom of the page inside the booklet, almost like an afterthought, but it could be just a copy of the songs and artist blurbs taken from somewhere else. The credits spell Pug's name wrong - Wethers instead of Weathers. What Vertigo CDs do you speak of? Not the Line? Road Goes on Forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    What Vertigo CDs do you speak of?
    Polygram issued AtT and Octopus years ago. I know the latter was mastered by Van Hoeyen. Not sure about AtT.

Thanks Jeff... a bit of a mystery. I'm wondering if they just lifted the inside of that Octopus booklet. The Eastworld is a very simple one page folded in the middle insert that lists the song titles and GG's comments under each one. I assume the disc you mean is this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Octopus-Gent...5691685&sr=1-2 No current at the time reviews but one review does speak unfavorably of GVH's mastering...

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Thanks Jeff... a bit of a mystery. I'm wondering if they just lifted the inside of that Octopus booklet. The Eastworld is a very simple one page folded in the middle insert that lists the song titles and GG's comments under each one. I assume the disc you mean is this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Octopus-Gent...5691685&sr=1-2 No current at the time reviews but one review does speak unfavorably of GVH's mastering...
    Yes, that is the one. I don't really care for the mastering on it. Too much EQ for my taste and it sounds "jacked up."

But then I'm always a bit surprised by some of the CDs that are recommended when it comes to Giant, so ymmv.

Any notable remasterings to avoid when it comes to GG? In terms of lots of compression\heavily EQ'ed, or just outright botched in some way.