Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simon Steensland

Simon Steensland

I read on facebook that a new Simon Steensland album is coming our way.

Reason for me to pull out "fat again' from the shelves. I love this album. It is complex but no too complex for its own good and , at times, great fun! It can really rock out with some really fat bass and great drumming.

Any thoughts on his previous albums?
    And also important: were to get them? I did a quick websearch but couln't find any place that sells his older stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I Any thoughts on his previous albums? [...] I did a quick websearch but couln't find any place that sells his older stuff.
    Both The Zombie Hunter and (espec) Led Circus are awesome; powerful, anarchic and at times uncannily intense and intricate Zeuhl-vs-Zappa-vs-noise-vs-UZero'ish mayhem with a very strange sort of inner beauty, featuring musicians of the highest order such as Mats/Morgan, Robert Elovsson and Mats Gustafsson. The live album (Gang-Gang) is amazing.

Unfortunately, I believe the only previous SSteensland CD still in regular circulation is Phantom of the Theatre, which highlights his work for choreographic performances and stage narrative, the musical medium he is actually most renowned for in his native Sweden. It's good (sometimes great!), but less "rock" based and more in line with some of his impulses (The Residents, Hector Zazou, Tuxedomoon, Coil etc.).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I was afraid of that. Well, at least Led Circus and the Zombie Hunter are available on I-tunes. I do not like I-tunes but its better then nothing (or illegal downloads)

I think the new one might be his best one
    More mature and subtle

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I think the new one might be his best one
    More mature and subtle
    ...but are you still entirely objective? ;-)

Of course this will be an automatic purchase. When is it released?

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    ...but are you still entirely objective? ;-)
    No
    But still ... its very unique and shows much beauty and restraint

Udi, is he back to doing stuff more or less on his own, or does this have a "band" to it? I somehow feel that his first three releases both suffered from and capitalized on him being pretty much alone; the former by rendering some of the material sounding unnecessarily erratic and weirdly disjointed at times, the latter by sounding very much like a work of singleminded idiosyncracy even in the executive department.

Of course, the material itself is always the important factor, this and the performance and production. I also thought highly of Fat Again, so I'm eagerly anticipating this one.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I know his ideal was the "band-effort" .
    Yet he doesn't have a band yet With Morgen onboard its closer

Really dig both Fat Again & Led Circus. Will definitely be snagging this one
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

The master is done ! btw the album title is A Farewell To Brains by Simon Steensland

the album title is A Farewell To Brains
    Seems like it would be a good title for the next Flower Kings record too...

...better go get my flame-retardant underwear on...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

the album title is A Farewell To Brains
    Yes, that definitely sounds like him already

He is quite a character
    Funny witty yet down to earth

I started with "Led Circus" a few years ago, and really liked it as well. I was also following Jono El Grande, who's earlier albums sound very similar. It's a different screwy, Loony Tunes, controlled chaos sound, versus more serious bands like Yugen. I think Steensland and Jono El Grande have really taken the Zappa question to heart - "Does Humor Belong In Music?"

I got my "Fat Again" at Squid Co, which has been great at the newer stuff, not so deep on older catalog. Fat Again
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    I started with "Led Circus" a few years ago, and really liked it as well. [...] Loony Tunes, controlled chaos sound, versus more serious bands like Yugen. I think Steensland and Jono El Grande have really taken the Zappa question to heart - "Does Humor Belong In Music?"
    My fave Simon Steensland (musical) passage occurs in "Instant Jesus", opening track from Led Circus, when he gets a rabid, raspy female vox to duel with the sonic extremes of Mats Gustafsson's alto sax in a completely free mode on top of some impossibly dense ensemble patterns alit by electroacoustic surface noise effects etc. Just the idea itself of asking one of the leading lights of today's global free improv movement (alright, so Gustafsson is from Umeå and knew Mats, Morgan, Thordendahl and Steensland from way back) to "come in and scream through the horn" along with some incendiary woman voice. Er, I think what I'm trying to say is that it most likely, arguably, wouldn't have occured on that TFK album Battema refers to.

A farewell to brains is out now a while and so far I havent seen many comments on it.

I have to say I was slightly underwhelmed at first listen. I missed that rawness of earlier recordings. Luckily this turned out te be a real grower. Like Udi mentioned it is much more restrained but with a inner beauty that took me a while to discover. It also an album you have to play loud to fully appriciate.

The closing track 'the idiot' is the best he ever did and worth the purchase alone. Absolutely stunning (in a nightmarish kinda way).

I listened to this last night - it's a very well composed, well performed work. Fans of early to mid 80s Univers Zero should love this, as that's what it consistently reminded me of.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    One of the early front runners for album of the year for me, it's a cracking album, definitely got a UZ vibe going.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Both The Zombie Hunter and (espec) Led Circus are awesome; powerful, anarchic and at times uncannily intense and intricate Zeuhl-vs-Zappa-vs-noise-vs-UZero'ish mayhem with a very strange sort of inner beauty, featuring musicians of the highest order such as Mats/Morgan, Robert Elovsson and Mats Gustafsson.
    Both these are great, Fat Again is probably my favorite so far.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

the first single from the April 24th release, Oscillospira. The debut collaboration from JG Thirlwell & Simon Steensland. Pre-order the CD & Limited Edition 2LP at: https://smarturl.it/Oscillospira

Brooklyn based composer/producer/performer JG Thirlwell (Foetus, Manorexia, Xordox) - who has collaborated with the likes of Zola Jesus, Melvins, Swans, Kronos Quartet , and is the composer for the highly acclaimed animated TV series ‘Archer’ and 'Venture Bros’ - and Swedish multi-instrumentalist and theatre music composer Simon Steensland collaborate on a new album, Oscillospira. Different yet complementary, both creators make idiosyncratic music that can be characterised by dramatic intensity, shadowy suspense, darkness and light, sometimes breathtaking and always evocative cinematics. Oscillospira is an odyssey of dark chamber prog with a cinematic bent, largely instrumental album with eerie choral parts.

Wow! I am in!

I have not listened to the tune yet but I have difficulties connecting Steensland to a 'single'.

Ordered
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Ordered
    #me too

preordered on bandcamp! fantastic sounding. Simon is amazing!