Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tears for Fears - Steven Wilson 5.1 of Songs from the Big Chair

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    If they were able to go to the original 24-track (assuming 24) it probably wasn't recorded with "printed" reverb but rather reverb was applied on mixdown to 2-track (stereo) so it could be "updated" by Steven Wilson's current 2014 "tastes".
    Yeh, 5.1 he could simply add space which would be nice.

Banned
    I wonder if Steve realizes that he is too conservative on bass level, especially on older remixes. It's as if the bass was compressed individually when making saved recording. People have noticed the lack of punch on Quadrophenia and I think a better job could have been done on Yes CTE. The bass may need to be put through an analog expander and then in the digital domain, a noise canceller. It really has been disappointing to me.

If they were able to go to the original 24-track (assuming 24) it probably wasn't recorded with "printed" reverb but rather reverb was applied on mixdown to 2-track (stereo) so it could be "updated" by Steven Wilson's current 2014 "tastes".
    I hope so.

That digital reverb wash ruins the tunes imo.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I wonder if Steve realizes that he is too conservative on bass level, especially on older remixes. It's as if the bass was compressed individually when making saved recording. People have noticed the lack of punch on Quadrophenia and I think a better job could have been done on Yes CTE. The bass may need to be put through an analog expander and then in the digital domain, a noise canceller. It really has been disappointing to me.
    1) Quadrophenia was not done by SW
    2) SW bass treatment is all over the place and changes from mix to mix - for example Discipline and Islands and Larks Tongues have great bass, on the other hand CTTE is lacking, and then you have albums which are inconsistent within themselves- for example "In the wake of poseidon" - I talk to the wind has an ultra loud bass while on the rest of the album it is almost unnoticable...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    1) Quadrophenia was not done by SW
    2) SW bass treatment is all over the place and changes from mix to mix - for example Discipline and Islands and Larks Tongues have great bass, on the other hand CTTE is lacking, and then you have albums which are inconsistent within themselves- for example "In the wake of poseidon" - I talk to the wind has an ultra loud bass while on the rest of the album it is almost unnoticable...
    True, I compared the bass in the CTE direct transfer original to the 5.1. It was not improved, and I expected that it would be. I'm not for sticking to the original when the original is provided like these. The original should have the RIAA EQ removed, not that it was the problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    True, I compared the bass in the CTE direct transfer original to the 5.1. It was not improved, and I expected that it would be. I'm not for sticking to the original when the original is provided like these. The original should have the RIAA EQ removed, not that it was the problem here.
    Ah, I agree on all acounts, I too was counting on the 5.1 to improve the bass,
    I was fantasizing on the whole room shaking during the organ part in "I get up I get down" but alas...

This is one of the best albums of the 80's because and despite it's 3 monster pop hits.
    Very true. Classic (I guess you can say that now) '80s production by Chris Hughes.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Interesting take and pretty accurate except that I LOVE the combination of all these elements. "The Working Hour" is one of my favorites from them. Strange juxtaposition of 2 songs actually. One of their b-sides "When In Love With A Blind Man" is the one half idea of the song.

This is one of the best albums of the 80's because and despite it's 3 monster pop hits.
    Absolutely agree with you here.

They also had another b-side, a cover of Sea Song by Robert Wyatt, and it is a beautifully haunting track.