Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New video interview with Collins & Rutherford

Wow, a completely different mood to that one! Notice Alan Hewitt in the audience not getting to ask his question at the end...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

maybe they watched the other interview

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Notice Alan Hewitt in the audience not getting to ask his question at the end...
    This is not the first time they've done this!

Maybe Alan has spent too much time sleeping with the enemy (Unquiet Slumbers for Sleepers)

When did Tony Blair join Genesis?

Oh, man. Tony is so, so thrilled to be on the One Show. The excitement is palpable.

...But yeah, his snark is fun, as always. Would love to hear what he'd think of that "Supper's Ready"-related(ish) artwork at the end.

Really disappointed that they never ever talk about Relayer.

Autobuy

// Mattias

at Mattias

Thanks for posting their appearance on the One Show. Tony seemed lively and actually cracked a joke or two. So I was impressed that the show actually referred to and played Supper's Ready. But the artwork? None of the artists seemed to actually listen to the song as it was playing. They interpreted Supper's Ready as being about.... pizza?

chalkpie
    I've chatted with nuns that have more energy and enthusiasm than those two blokes in that interview, and they were dead.

Interesting that Tony is the only one with any charm/charisma. Maybe it has something to do with his respect for Genesis music.
    Last edited by Stickleback; 10-04-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    They interpreted Supper's Ready as being about.... pizza?
    Looks like a plate of chips/fries, sausages, peas, tomatoes, egg, mushrooms and tomato ketchup to me. (Share his peas, sign the lease; the brick was an egg/As sure as eggs is eggs; wonderful potion (ketchup); he's a supersausage scientist, um... They didn't have time for the human bacon...)

The guy who interviewed them [EDIT: in the OP] was unprofessional. Not a single question about their glory days when they wrote one hit after another! Instead all that inopportune nagging about prog-rock, 70s snotty taste and long compositions that no customer remembers and cares for. Wasn't it ruled out long ago that writing a top charting hit is the greatest achievement in music?

Who arranged the interview? Why wasn't the journalist properly groomed? There was a time when music journalists knew who paid their job, sadly not any longer.

I can remember an interview with Paul Carrack back in the 90s, related to some new release from Mike + the Mechanics, when another poorly groomed journalist asked him about Warm Dust. Although the reporter apparently dug his old band, Paul got really pissed off by this inquiry, rudely responding that he had played such crap long time ago and there was no point in bringing it up. He was genuinely surprised and annoyed that anyone could be interested in it.

So you know, these two entertainers from the once proggy band are not that unique in the world of music aristocracy.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 10-05-2014 at 05:54 PM.

C'mon, you really didn't look at the two interviewers as journalists, did you? They were entertainers, or at least what "the suits" believe TV entertainers should look & sound like. The guy looked like a fop, & he was paired with an effusive women who simultaneously lends him some measure of credibility while satisfying the demographic and mollifying the "equal rights" watchdogs. Seeing how closely that sat together gave me the willies. Who voluntarily does that if there's no sexual chemistry? I'm betting there wasn't.

I actually felt a wee bit sorry for PC, MR, & TB. Yes, you're releasing a new CD but can't you be more selective about the shows you use to push product?
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    C'mon, you really didn't look at the two interviewers as journalists, did you? They were entertainers, or at least what "the suits" believe TV entertainers should look & sound like. The guy looked like a fop, & he was paired with an effusive women who simultaneously lends him some measure of credibility while satisfying the demographic and mollifying the "equal rights" watchdogs. Seeing how closely that sat together gave me the willies. Who voluntarily does that if there's no sexual chemistry? I'm betting there wasn't.

I actually felt a wee bit sorry for PC, MR, & TB. Yes, you're releasing a new CD but can't you be more selective about the shows you use to push product?
    Wasn't Jay referring to the Belgian interviewer in the OP? Maybe not.

But anyway, The One Show is in most respects pappy light infotainment but it regularly gets an audience of 5 million viewers, and attracts big-name guests. It's a BBC show, and so is the documentary. It's the obvious shop window for the doc and the compilation album, and the back catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    The guy who interviewed them was unprofessional. Not a single question about their glory days when they wrote one hit after another! Instead all that inopportune nagging about prog-rock, 70s snotty taste and long compositions that no customer remembers and cares for. Wasn't it ruled out long ago that writing a top charting hit is the greatest achievement in music?

Who arranged the interview? Why wasn't the journalist properly groomed? There was a time when music journalists knew who paid their job, sadly not any longer.

Not sure if you're talking of the Classic 21 interview (most likely not), but that's the state-owned classic radio (making some rather good audiences too >> something like 6% market share >> this is really good numbers).

the interviewing dude (Dobbeleer) is just a DJ, not even one of the better-knowledged one, but then again when facing these two bored and going-though-the-motions promoting stars, it can't come out fascinating stuff

as for the British TV talk show, it's a disgrace, IMHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    Wasn't Jay referring to the Belgian interviewer in the OP? Maybe not.
    Of course I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    the interviewing dude (Dobbeleer) is just a DJ, not even one of the self-knowledged one, but then again when facing these two bored and going-though-the-motions promoting stars, it can't come out fascinating stuff
    It is actually fascinating how those two stars constantly try to dismiss their proggy past. I bet that both would have been much happier now if the Peter Gabriel years had never happened, or at least had got reduced to their very first LP.

It is actually fascinating how those two stars constantly try to dismiss their proggy past. I bet that both would have been much happier now if the Peter Gabriel years had never happened, or at least had got reduced to their very first LP.
    Classic 21 is directed by Machiavel's drummer Marc Ysaye, who absolutely adores early Genesis, so his DJs are more or less instructed to focus on that period in interviews... (BTW, the station plays plenty of 80's genesis styff as well)

Obviously, Rutherford and Collins who pulled most of their fame during the 80's with Gensis and their other projects were probably annoyed at the insistance about Gabriel-era days... Oddly enough, Banks should feel differently, since he's the only one never having having a mega-selling thng outside Genesis. Gabriel and Hackett both had a few mega-sellers too (GTR and a TV theme for Hackett)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Obviously, Rutherford and Collins who pulled most of their fame during the 80's with Gensis and their other projects were probably annoyed at the insistence about Gabriel-era days
    Both were active participants in those days too, but they are visibly not proud of the legacy which is also theirs. Worse, they are ashamed of it, diminishing and putting it down in every possible way.

Well, as time goes passing by it will only get worse, as the music they created with Gabriel will most probably outlive their pop product. I cannot wait for the day, when the changing market forces them to release some archival stuff from the 70s. If that happens, the interviews are going to be... even more fascinating.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 10-05-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Both were active participants in those days too, but they are visibly not proud of the legacy which is also theirs. Worse, they are ashamed of it, diminishing and putting it down in every possible way.

Well, as time goes passing by it will only get worse, as the music they created with Gabriel will most probably outlive their pop product. I cannot wait for the day, when the changing market forces them to release some archival stuff from the 70s. If that happens, the interviews are going to be... even more fascinating.
    I can't think there's much more left in the vaults, is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I can't think there's much more left in the vaults, is there?
    Maybe not studio stuff, but there are loads of live tapes.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***