Thread: The Strawbs Heartbreak Hill - where's the love?

The Strawbs Heartbreak Hill - where's the love?

I just pulled this album out after not hearing it for about a decade or more. WOW!! What is the deal with one? Recorded in 1978, after releasing a string of mediocre rock oriented albums, HEARTBREAK HILL beckons back as a terrific follow up to Hero & Ghosts with epic prog goodness. But, was never released until 1995. What happened, was this too prog for the record companies, and then Cousins threw in the towel? It pretty much is where the band called it a day, back then.

The title track "Heartbreak Hill" alone is one of the most epic Strawbs pieces ever! Some guy named Andy Richards is on keyboards, and he's just phenomenal. The opening track, "Something For Nothing" is another one of their best full fleshed epics as well. The whole album is quite great, full of piss and vinegar, penned mostly all by Cousins, with some co-writes by Cronk & Richards.

I also know there was a re-master of this CD recently which I haven't gotten. But, I never hear anyone talk about this one, or even rank it. I think it's the best late 70's Strawbs albums there is. Easily.

Anyone share my feelings on this?
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 10-01-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I also know there was a re-master of this CD recently which I haven't gotten. But, I never hear anyone talk about this one, or even rank it. I think it's the best late 70's Strawbs albums there is. Easily.

Anyone share my feelings on this?
    Yes, love this album. Had a cassette copy in the early 90's that if I remember correctly was very limited. You need the remaster... much improved sound due to being from the master tapes for the first time.

The title track leads off this compilation that is coming soon -

progno.jpg

PROGNOSTIC - NEW WITCHWOOD MEDIA STRAWBS RELEASE
    =============================================
    This is a new CD release of prog rock material by the Strawbs, due in October 2014.

In a review in Rolling Stone in 1974, Ken Barnes wrote: "Strawbs moved from folkier days to a lush, stately and mellotron-dominated sound, with similarities to Yes, King Crimson and the Moody Blues. They wrote more compelling songs than the former two, and possessed more lyrical/musical substance than the latter."

"Prognostic" is the album that defines Strawbs once and for all as a prog rock force to be reckoned with. The music is powerful, yet melodic. The lyrics are biting, yet sensitive.
    All the tracks have been remastered to bring the disparate tracks together as a satisfying whole.
    The release of "Prognostic" ties in with the release of Dave Cousins' autobiography "Exorcising Ghosts" which has committed reviews in Mojo, Classic Rock Prog, Uncut, Record Collector, Shindig, R2 and Froots. The album will receive full PR exposure in the major music press.

Track listing:
    1. Heartbreak Hill
    2. Through Aphrodite's Eyes
    3. Something For Nothing
    4. Starting Over
    5. Deep In The Darkest Night
    (featuring Rick Wakeman and German
    progmeister Conny Conrad)

Archive Prog
    6. The River/Down By The Sea (previously unreleased)
    7. Blue Angel (remastered)
    8. Tomorrow (remastered)
    9. Lay A Little Light On Me/
    Hero's Theme/
    Round And Round (remastered)

I bought the CD with the 1996 release date (on the Road Goes On Forever label) about 15 years ago. I kept it for several years, giving it many listenings, and finally sold it. Admittedly, the tinny sound quality was part of the problem for me, but I just thought that the music, lyrics and arrangements were weak. I really wanted to like it since it's their prog stuff that I prefer, though I have plenty of the folk and commercial stuff, too. I don't think the remastering would be enough to sway my opinion. I've seen many reviews, mostly negative, which reinforce my feelings.

That album is ok but I prefer Blue Angel (2003), Déjà Fou (2004) and The Broken Hearted Bride (2008). Not good as the 70s but each album contains some good songs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urgRzqmX1a4
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

There's a live version of "Heartbreak Hill" on the 40th anniversary celebration 2CD set which is really nice, probably better than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    That album is ok but I prefer Blue Angel (2003), Déjà Fou (2004) and The Broken Hearted Bride (2008). Not good as the 70s but each album contains some good songs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urgRzqmX1a4
    Blue Angel is best with Wakeman on Cousin's solo album, IMO. Easily my favorite Strawbs related cut, very much a cherished piece. I really didn't find it necessary to redo it. The only recent album I like is Broken Hearted Bride.

I might guess the lack of love for Heartbreak Hill (aside from the tinny sound) is that it's a bit light on guitar, and very heavy on keyboards. Keyboards of the dreaded poly synth era of the late 70's, rather than the organic organ/mellotron sounds of their early albums. Being a keyboard fan myself, I find this quite charming that such a late 70's Strawbs album exists. But, I imagine many people might be squeamish about it, as they are for Yes Tormato.

I agree that Heartbreak Hill is a great Strawbs record!

Did I make this thread? Wow! 4 years ago.

Yeah, I have since got the re-master version and love it even more. I guess people piss on it because Dave Lambert isn't on it. Whatever... great songs are great songs. And Andy Richards on keyboards kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Did I make this thread? Wow! 4 years ago.

Yeah, I have since got the re-master version and love it even more. I guess people piss on it because Dave Lambert isn't on it. Whatever... great songs are great songs. And Andy Richards on keyboards kills.
    I've overlooked this one for some reason, will check out the remaster version.
    Thanks for re-posting to bring it to our attention.
    I know I've heard Something for Nothing(and have always loved it) in their setlist for a DVD or two that I have.
    btw, is it just me or does it sound like the tape was sped up for some reason,sounds un-natural to me.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

As a big a Strawbs fan as I am, I don't reach for this one when I want to play some of their stuff. I do believe I have a couple iterations of this album. Will have to dig it or them out. Sounds like I've been missing something.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

This album has passed me by.

Sounds like I need to hear it.

Never heard it, gonna have to change that. Blue Angel the tune is terrific.