Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kinetic Element news

Kinetic Element news

For those precious few PEers who follow little old us, we are set up for recording in our cavernous studio/ garage and are going to have a go at it. We have gone home for the year, however, after playing a number of cover band gigs around Richmond to get some cash which we spent on some new gear, headphones, mics, direct boxes, cables, etc. and have also got some body packs and in-ear monitors for live shows. War Song (15 minutes symphonic written by me and Todd), Wonderland Journey (6 minute prog fusion written by Len and George) and Top of the World (5 minutes in Asia territory written by George) are going to be recorded. I hope to have something for you to hear around the end of January.

Happy Happies to everybody. See you at ROSfest.
    Last edited by HoldYourFire; 12-11-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Mike: This is really exciting - I think you guys are going to love the freedom that having your own recording stuff gives you. Can't wait to hear what you come up with.

IF we had to pay for recording I doubt there would be a 3RDegree. Enjoy your foray into "project studio" recording. You'll find you can make a pretty damn good recording these days. I'd go to a "big studio" for drums, mixing and mastering though.

Hi Mike,

Good news. Looking forward to hearing you.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Cool!

Jefferson James
    Great news Mike -- kill it bro!

Thanks so much dude, but I am very apprehensive about it as we have so little time available and so much to learn. I'm trying to bring in a local engineer who is familiar with Sonar and will work with us where we live. I'd rather learn the rest of the music and then record it all professionally but this is what everyone wants to try first, so we'll have a go at it.

I'm going to ask the guys if they want to record a second disc with bonus cover songs we are doing (Yes, ELP, Pink Floyd, Boston, Supertramp, Rush) sort of a la Neal Morse's band.

Magog
    This is great news. Good luck!

Matt

All the best, Mike and keep on pushin!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Can't wait to hear what you guys come up with, Mike! Will a disc be ready by RosFest?
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Mel, I just don't know. I am having a heck of a time keeping this thing moving forward. Most of the music still has not been finished. Everybody has different schedules. Everybody has a different concept of how to proceed. For now we are going to try to do pre-production (at least that's what I think it is) on the three aformentioned songs and I intend to post the mixes of that, not mastered or anything, to get my prog world friends to tell me whether people are interested in us continuing, sort of like the way Kerry is doing it, and of course everybody loves what Heliopolis is coming up with so they have a great impetus to get 'er done. I don't see really how it can be ready by ROSfest. Then again these guys may surprise me come January. When we made up our minds to do Powered by Light it got done in five months. We have a promo photo shoot scheduled for Jan. 20 and we're talking with a website designer to get www.kineticelement.com up to speed as a modern website. Right now three guys are away so we're on hold till I think Jan. 3. BTW I am very grateful to have gotten 140 views on this thread. Anybody with an opinion, encouagement or criticism please say on.
    Last edited by HoldYourFire; 12-27-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission!

Well here's what's been happening ...
    Due to the fact that we cannot get together as often as we'd like, fact is, it probably will be a long time before there's another Kinetic Element album. Not that people are exactly salivating for there to be one, but messages do come to me asking, so I'm letting you know there IS a Kinetic Element album in the works. It has taken from January to almost May to record one song. And we're not finished with it. As I have been saying, we're recording ourselves, it's a first time thing, and we are learning as we go, so we now have all the tracks down for one song. Granted it's 14 minutes long, and who knows but that we will yet add more vocal tracks. I keep getting glimpses of how good this can really be, and in between the arguments about what cover song to do next, somehow we are getting this music into the computer. I hope (if everyone in the band agrees) to have a "working" mix of this song to share so you guys can all let me know whether this band has a future in prog or not. My guys think I should wait and record more. What do you think?

We have SO many obstacles. But as long as we all stay on the sunny side of the dirt, we will keep working on this till it becomes a finished product.

We love you all and as always, THANK YOU if you have taken an interest in this old trucker and his keyboards and the music Kinetic Element has managed to get out there. I wonder what it must be like to just go in a studio and do it ...

There is something Else good in the works and I hope to see you at ROSfest. if you recognize me when you see me please say hello so I can refresh my doddering memory about you!

Peace ... MV

Bring your demo mixes to Rosfest, Mike. I'd love to hear where you all are at.

Steve

Good deal, Mike! Looking forward to it!

Glad to hear you're still at it, Mike. Nothing worthwhile comes easy.
    Lou

Hey Mike,

Best of luck with the recording. Look very forward to hearing the results. Catch you at RoSfest.

Cheers,

Alan

Kinetic Element has agreed to a deal with Melodic Revolution Records. We are now a label band! The Mad Hatter of Prog Promotion, Nick Katona, approached us at last year's ROSfest and after a year of talking about it, we have arrived at the point of signing, and Nick announced it at the Saturday afterparty at this year's ROSfest. So I guess now we better try to move this CD project along! :-) I met two of my new label mates, Phil Naro of DDrive and Druckfarben, and Blake Carpenter (a.k.a. The Minstrel's Ghost) at ROSfest.

It was very gratifying the number of people who introduced themselves to me as Kinetic Element fans and actually brought the CDs they'd purchased online for me to autograph. It almost made me lose my composure to realize the music has touched more hearts than I usually realize, and that whatever imperfections are in the CD production-wise, were overcome by the music for those folks. I promise to do my utmost to finish this new project and do better in production AND material for you guys.

Thanks Nick, thanks to our fans. We will never take you for granted.
    MV

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Excellent news, Mike! Way to go!

Congrats Mike! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

Jefferson James
    Fantastic news, Mike! Nick rocks an I can't think of a more deserving band than KE. You've earned this, brother, congratulations!

A lot of you probably saw this on Facebook but what the heck. We have a concert at an event in central New York State in support of organic and local farming called Frolic On The Farm, and it's 8 days from now. See the flyer below.

We are still trying to finish recording three pieces and the capture is almost all done. We have two good friends of the band who are known prog artists who are very good at self-production who have agreed to help us with mixing on a "see if you like it" basis, which we deeply appreciate. I'm chomping at the bit to get these on social media so you can hear them.

I am sorry to tell you that (a) I will have to miss Prog Day this year as my finances are rather focused on my son's wedding the weekend of September 13, and (b) it seems the liver disease is progressing and I will have to monitor it more closely. You might say I'm getting a sense of urgency about getting the CD finished as soon as possible, but as always the time obstacles everyone has keep things moving at a snail's pace.

Thanks again everybody. I love you all.

We're asking our friends within shouting distance of central New York (Utica) to consider coming to see us at this event. Free admission. We'll be playing new unreleased Kinetic Element music, a good chunk of Powered by Light, and a set of our prog leaning cover songs from Yes, ELP, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Kansas etc. etc. etc.
    Come one. Come all. Come some, at least!! 8 days away. Practice, practice, practice. Central NY, Montreal, Mass, NYC, what's a little 6 hour drive among friends?
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I wish you the best at the show, Mike. Wish I could make it, but one long drive (to ProgDay) is all I can swing in the immediate future. I'm a little familiar with the area having been to Cooperstown 2 or 3 times. I'm sure you'll knock 'em dead.

Will miss you at ProgDay this year. Stay healthy, my dear friend.
    Lou

Hope you have a great gig, Mike. Thoughts with you, for good health, and congrats to your son! :-)

KE has parted company with our singer, the very talented George DeCola. It was amicable. We are looking for a guy whose love of prog rock is equal to his vocal talents. We're open to hear from all our band friends who are into symphonic style prog and might think about singing lead on our CD that has been in the works for some time now. Perhaps someone out there can help us disprove the theory that prog does not thrive in Richmond. Please contact us if you have an interest. It would help greatly if you're familiar with the vocal work of bands like Yes, ELP, Genesis, Rush, Gentle Giant, Kansas, or modern bands like Transatlantic, Echolyn, IQ, The Flower Kings, Karmakanic, Agents of Mercy, Pallas, Frost, etc. and who on this board isn't?! :-) It is about music for this project, not money. However there are some things brewing for next summer if we can get our product done by next spring.